Help picking a name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd vote for Kenya. It has a cool sound to it and besides, it's in Africa and that's always a good thing. :heart:

I'd vote for Kenya also--from the personality description you gave plus the photo of her in the dog thread (she's a lovely dog, BTW) that seems to my ear anyhow like the best fit.

Chop's not a bad name, but maybe a little undignified for her...I'm amazed at the names breeders give their dogs sometimes--I've still got Falstaff's papers floating around somewhere, and some of his ancestors' names are so precious-wecious they make me cringe.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, you guys! I just got home and was full on attacked tonight, so I need to just think about my own good doggy for a while. :D

PS. Her title and given name is U-Ch. Alta-Tollhaus-Krieger Lamb Chop, hence the "Chop" or "Chopper".

Vincent Vega said:
Very interesting that you use German expressions as commands.
There is a German shepherd who raises a special breed that is very good as shepherd dog (forgot its name) and she only uses english terms as commands.
She said the english terms sounded softer, not that harsh as the German language tends to be. So "Come here" she deemed more friendly a command towards a dog than "Komm".

I'm not a fan of old German names, so I would tend to Kenya. That sounds very nice.
Is it with a short or a long "e"?

I'll use German and English commands just because people think it's sooooo cool :cool: and German is the only other language I know (well, not as well anymore). Her agility commands will all be in English. I kinda like the harshness of German commands and then she won't be listening to my relatives giving her confusing commands.

The "e" in Kenya would sound like Hände.

U2Man said:
whatever you do, just don't call it chelsea. just don't.

:barf: NEVER!!!!!

However, Chester...short for Manchester Utd. for my dog? Could be a very large possibility. :hmm:

By the way, she's not kidding. She was under attack by a dog she was walking. Jumping and biting. It wanted to get to my dog and took it out on Liesy. I had to run over with my dog and get hers away from her. It was psycho! It was dangerous b/c i didn't know if it was going to attack my dog or what, but i grabbed my dogs leash and pulled HARD to Lies and I pulled Lies' dog away from my dog so quickly, nothing could happen. Talk about adrenalin rush.

I thought it would be cool to name her dog Numerator, and then I'd name mine denominator. :wink:

But then I realize I hate math. :lol:

Last edited:
:lmao: that would be pretty cute though, Phil!

I agree, Kenya or Gracie. Both very cute :cute: Any pictures of the dog? I'm so happy for you guys! :hug: Now 3 cats and a dog though? Imagine if you guys had kids! :lol:

:wink:

oh my, I just had a revolation! Even though its a girl, you could name her Bone-O!! :giggle: Sorry, just had to say that.

I saw the pic of her in your journal and she definitely looks like a Kenya to me! That's got my vote!

My Dad's first dog was a GSD. And even though he then "switched" to Collies, he always looks longingly after a GSD in the park. They're super smart animals, definitely one of the breeds I'd think of. You'll have such an awesome time with Kenya. :wink:

Thanks, I love collies too, especially smooth coats with merle patterns, but Phil doesn't like them much (their looks I think) and he doesn't want everyone calling our dog a Lassy. Maybe someday we can compromise and get a sheltie...

I'm almost sold enough on Kenya to have her leather obedience lead stamped with her name.....

I wish I had a dollar everytime someone called Charlie "Lassie". If you get a tri-color or blue merle collie most people will think he is a mutt. No one ever called my collie Lassie but my sheltie gets it all the time.:|

samralf said:
I wish I had a dollar everytime someone called Charlie "Lassie". If you get a tri-color or blue merle collie most people will think he is a mutt. No one ever called my collie Lassie but my sheltie gets it all the time.:|
My family owned three different collies in succession when I was a kid, all of them sable-and-white rough collies, the second of which was named Argos. Very unusally for the breed, he was extremely territorially aggressive (as well as exceptionally big and strong) and got my parents in trouble with the neighbors several times by going after people and dogs who strayed into our yard, which in that small Southern town was a common occurrence unless you had a fence. Well, during that same time there was this bizarrely eccentric--really, probably mentally ill--local man who in his 40s still lived alone with his mother (who was also pretty strange), had gotten mugged while out walking about a year back, and forever after would not go out in public without a hard hat (to protect his head), a long coat (no matter what the weather), a walkie talkie (to stay in contact with his mother, apparently--you'd hear him muttering "Ma, Ma, are you there?" into it as he went by), and this kinda raggedy-looking Doberman which he'd bought to protect him. Apparently he forgot to get guard training for the Dobie though, because one evening while they were walking by, he allowed his dog to commit the unpardonable sin of straying into our yard to pee on a tree, at which point Argos busted right through the screen door, charged his dog, and proceeded to whip it to a pulp (and I'm not exaggerating--that dog was hurt bad). We were in the backyard eating dinner at that time, heard shouts and the sounds of a dogfight out front, and my dad went racing out there to find Argos thrashing this guy's dog and poor Mr. H frantically shouting "Ma, Ma, are you there? Ma, I'm bein' attacked by a big ol' collie dog!" into his walkie-talkie. Of course my father, who quickly hauled Argos off, was extremely chagrined and immediately told Mr. H he and my mother would pay for his dog's treatment, but until the day he died, he could not recount that story without busting up laughing at the memory of poor Mr. H in his hard hat and trenchcoat in the middle of summer frantically shouting into his walkie-talkie.

Anyhow, Argos never again got called "Lassie" by anyone after that--it was always "Argos the Killer Collie," and every time I've gone back for a visit, there's always someone who brings up that old story. Our other collies both got the "Lassie" comments all the time, but I never minded really--if anything, it was kind of an unwarranted compliment I think, because the truth is that show also gave a lot of people the impression that collies are fantastic geniuses with nerves of steel, which they're not. I'll always love that breed, and they're certainly fairly smart and agreeable as far as dogs go, but a lot of people got all kinds of unrealistic expectations of them based on that show. With all the usual bad consequences of unscrupulous breeders who didn't know what they were doing but saw $$$ to be made churning out litter after litter with hip dysplasia and epilepsy and all that...

Last edited:
Liesje said:

I'll use German and English commands just because people think it's sooooo cool :cool: and German is the only other language I know (well, not as well anymore). Her agility commands will all be in English. I kinda like the harshness of German commands and then she won't be listening to my relatives giving her confusing commands.

The "e" in Kenya would sound like Hände.

Thank you. :)
It sounds great the way you pronounce it.
You get out of foreign languages so fast, that's right. I always have difficulties getting back into English if I haven't spoken it for a while.

Have you decided yet which one to chose? Maybe you should call out Gracie and Kenya and see which one your dog responds to. I've always been useless at naming pets, most of the time I get someone to do it for me :giggle:

yolland said:

My family owned three different collies in succession when I was a kid, all of them sable-and-white rough collies, the second of which was named Argos. Very unusally for the breed, he was extremely territorially aggressive (as well as exceptionally big and strong) and got my parents in trouble with the neighbors several times by going after people and dogs who strayed into our yard, which in that small Southern town was a common occurrence unless you had a fence. Well, during that same time there was this bizarrely eccentric--really, probably mentally ill--local man who in his 40s still lived alone with his mother (who was also pretty strange), had gotten mugged while out walking about a year back, and forever after would not go out in public without a hard hat (to protect his head), a long coat (no matter what the weather), a walkie talkie (to stay in contact with his mother, apparently--you'd hear him muttering "Ma, Ma, are you there?" into it as he went by), and this kinda raggedy-looking Doberman which he'd bought to protect him. Apparently he forgot to get guard training for the Dobie though, because one evening while they were walking by, he allowed his dog to commit the unpardonable sin of straying into our yard to pee on a tree, at which point Argos busted right through the screen door, charged his dog, and proceeded to whip it to a pulp (and I'm not exaggerating--that dog was hurt bad). We were in the backyard eating dinner at that time, heard shouts and the sounds of a dogfight out front, and my dad went racing out there to find Argos thrashing this guy's dog and poor Mr. H frantically shouting "Ma, Ma, are you there? Ma, I'm bein' attacked by a big ol' collie dog!" into his walkie-talkie. Of course my father, who quickly hauled Argos off, was extremely chagrined and immediately told Mr. H he and my mother would pay for his dog's treatment, but until the day he died, he could not recount that story without busting up laughing at the memory of poor Mr. H in his hard hat and trenchcoat in the middle of summer frantically shouting into his walkie-talkie.

Anyhow, Argos never again got called "Lassie" by anyone after that--it was always "Argos the Killer Collie," and every time I've gone back for a visit, there's always someone who brings up that old story. Our other collies both got the "Lassie" comments all the time, but I never minded really--if anything, it was kind of an unwarranted compliment I think, because the truth is that show also gave a lot of people the impression that collies are fantastic geniuses with nerves of steel, which they're not. I'll always love that breed, and they're certainly fairly smart and agreeable as far as dogs go, but a lot of people got all kinds of unrealistic expectations of them based on that show. With all the usual bad consequences of unscrupulous breeders who didn't know what they were doing but saw $$$ to be made churning out litter after litter with hip dysplasia and epilepsy and all that...

It doesn't bother me too much when people call charlie "lassie". It just drove me nuts when people would call me an idiot because I didn't know what kind of dog I had because everyone knows Collies only come in "Lassie" colors.

My Collie was pretty territorial. He only barked at people though. Once when my dad was alone at the house a worker came up to the window where my dad was and looked in and Sam jumped up barking with his hair up and his teeth showing. I never saw him do anything like that though...

now that's old style

Does Phil get a choice?

I would bet he would like one of these three:

Clark
Addison
Waveland
Sheffield

:uhoh:

Re: now that's old style

zoney! said:
Does Phil get a choice?

I would bet he would like one of these three:

Clark
Addison
Waveland
Sheffield

:uhoh:

Those are all boy names! Wait a minute... :scratch:

No, he doesn't get a choice :wink:

I don't really think he cares.

I really like:

Presley
Jagger
Cash
Lennon
Morrissey
Ramone
Axl
Memphis
Alize
Skyy
Denali
Blaze
Riddick
Maddox
Jett
Hewson
Clayton
Ezra
Diva
Rueger
Mazzy Star
Tyler
Ludo
Ambrosius
Didymus
Clementine
Little Foot
Nemo
Jezabel

I think I might keep her name after all. I went to agility practice Tues night, and a lot of the people already know "Chopper", so for everyone else's sakes maybe it makes more sense just to keep it. We'll see....

Back
Top Bottom