Help me think of a movie..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
At my school I am in the Equity Committee which raises awareness and money to be donated to oranizations that raise awareness for things such as gay rights, women's rights, anti-racism... basically all anti-descriminatory stuff.

We are having a movie night to promote ourselves and we need to think of a movie that we could show that would be hopefully appealing to the masses, and also have a good social message that goes along with what we do in our club, it should also be the sort of thing that could be shown in a school without too much fussing from the administration.

The first thought was American History X... however this is probably a little to graphic and brutal to show to the school.. unfortunately since it is an incredible movie and exactly the mix of mainstream appeal/message that we'd be looking for.

The other movie that's been mentioned is Gandhi.. could work.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Please?

I asked for advice.

My friend tells me Philadelphia. With Tom Cruise and Antonio Banderas.

And also Ghandi

I believe those are great choices :yes:

:wave:On a side note: Did you knew I was born on the same date as Ghandi? Yeah I know: Like you care :rolleyes:

American History X was my first thought too, but... curb scene... shower scene... probably not real good for school.

Gandhi definitely could work. Also try Life Is Beautiful. Even Remember The Titans (about a high school football team dealing with forced integration) could be a good choice.

I was going to suggest Philidelphia also, but I think your friend is confused, this has Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington....

Tom Cruise and Antonio were in Interview With a Vampire together...which could also be used some anti-homophobic movie if you want to stretch it lol

John Singleton's Higher Learning (1995).

It's ok, coming from the director of Boyz N the Hood... It covers a lot of stuff in a college environment... and it was shot at UCLA.

these are good race films

Monsters Ball

Native Son

Cry Freedom

Ragtime

A Soldier?s Story

To Kill a Mockingbird

Devil in a Blue Dress

Once Upon a Time...When We Were Colored

I commend your cause. "Philadelphia" for gay rights issues. Hands down. In fact, I just saw it....how sad it always makes me....

Melon

perhaps.....

Sling Blade (deals with issues of mental handicaps & homosexuality)

A Time to Kill (racism)

...just thought of Billy Elliot (homophobia...although it might be a stretch)

Last edited:
What about Schindler's List? Amistad?

I don't know exactly what the administration's standards are, but Boys Don't Cry. Definitely graphic, but a must see movie, especially for younger people, I think.

Last edited:
Rain Man, Forrest Gump, To Kill A Mockingbird.. I was gonna say Schindler's List too but that might be too graphic for school :scratch:

and it certainly was antonio banderas

Well, before I even finished reading your post skeek, "Ghandi" came through my mind.

Schindler's List isn't something I would necessarily use in this situation. While it is a good movie (and apparently administration acceptable, as I watched it in my senior year sociology course), I think there are other movies available that are more pliable to more mesages of the organization.

American History X is a fabulous film, but I think short of Hell freezing over three times, it will never be shown in a high school.

Overall, I think either Philadelphia or Ghandi would give messages that are applicable to the association. But my strong suggestion would be Ghandi, because I love it so much. :D

"If These Walls Could Talk (Part 2)" is a great HBO film that depicts the struggles of lesbians in different time periods and in three vignettes, the best of which is the first one starring Vanessa Redgrave as a woman who loses her partner of 30 years in the 1960's. Her performance is very, very moving. The second one stars Chloe Sevigny as a beautiful butch lesbian who is judged by the more feminine lesbians, and the third (and weakest of the three) stars Ellen DeGeneres and Sharon Stone trying to get pregnant.

Boys Don't Cry, Philadelphia and To Kill a Mockingbird are also great choices.

Back
Top Bottom