Help me prepare a wedding gift.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
My friend Chris is getting married. Chris is a wonderful friend, a very wealthy man, who's insisted on "no gifts" (we're all poor compared to him.)

Now, if I write him a check, he'll never cash it. But, if I send him music, I think he'll keep it.

He loves his Irish heritage, and he adores traditional celtic music. So, following that line, I thought I'd give him 10 or so CDs of "other" Irish born artists. Broaden his horizons a bit.

Here's what I've got in mind.

U2- The Joshua Tree
Van Morrison- Astrel Weeks
The Pogues-If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Hothouse Flowers- Home
Rory Gallagher- Calling Card
Thin Lizzy- Jailbreak
Enya- Watermark
Liam O Manonlai- Rain
Stiff Little Fingers- Inflammable Material
Snow Patrol- Final Straw

Anyone got any other ideas? The more the better.

If he likes irish music he will probably like october? tomorrow sounds very irish.
and yes i second sinead o'connor!

MrBrau1 said:
Hothouse Flowers- Home
Liam O Manonlai- Rain

Really great choice!! :up:

Actually the whole list is great - the only other band I could think of that I might add to the list is The Frames... but that's not really that traditional :shrug:

ETA: I have some cds with mixed celtic music, but I have no idea which of the artists are Irish (other than Clannad, but someone already suggested them) and which are not - but if you're interested I could list the names for you if you need some inspiration? :)

Last edited:
The Frames- Fitzcarraldo definitely.....

Fisherman Blues by The Waterboys...even though Mike Scott is a Scot....it was recorded in Ireland and is a very obviously Irish influenced record...I was even thinking of including it in my list for possible albums to listen to in my own 'Irish music other than U2 listening party' after Avxer does his.

Simple Kid-Sk1....another great Irish album...some very nice guitar on it...some Beck...just great songs though...very fun too.

Horslips- Train......perfect combination of rock and Irish traditional music...love it, live it:wink:

No Cranberries?

Fin de Siecle- Divine Comedy:drool: My third favourite artist after U2 and Bowie.

Oh and Live and Dangerous is another great Thin Lizzy choice:cool:

Aslan - Feel no Shame

Something happens - Stuck Together with God's glue (and cue Bono lifting lyrics)

VertigoGal said:
the chieftans? :wink: :shrug:

Astral Weeks :heart:

The Chieftans :up:

Mary Black is really loved in Ireland, from what I've read. Clannad...The Corrs. Another quasi-Irish group are Great Big Sea, a band from my home here in Canada. They play a Celtic rock style that your friend may enjoy.

MrBrau1 said:
Liam O Manonlai- Rain

I guess I must have been a little bit tired last night, cos I didn't read this properly, and now it's too late to edit my post...

Anyways, I don't know if this^ was just a typing mistake or what, but Liams new solo album is called "Rian" :)

I didn't read all the posts before mine (sorry, it's late and I had a long drive home). How about The Corrs? I only know the one duet they did with Bono (Stars Go Blue). I don't know if you are actually buying the CDs as a gift or making compilation CDs of certain songs...

Ok, must ....s l e e p :yawn:

A beautiful CD to have as background music is the soundtrack to Lord Of The Dance.

Even if you hate Michael Flatley, you've got to love the heavenly music.

I highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom