Help! I wanted to quit this boring committee and now they've asked me to be chair!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do I Chair the Committee or get while the gettin's good?

• Yes! It's a great opportunity on a resume, and only temporary

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No, your skin will crawl with boredom. Quit the committee entirely.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Stick out the reseach part only for another year and then bow out gracefully.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
As with every major decision in my life, I post a poll here to get people's opinions.

Without going into boring details, I sit on the executive committee of a major fundraising association (as volunteer work).

I have been their head of research for 3 years, and they wanted me to stay on for a 4th in that role. The committee really does bore me to tears, but it looks great on a resume.

I told them I wasn't really sure about next year, that I was bored with research and I didn't know what would be going on in my life next year (I might even move to the US!) anyway.

So what did they do, they offered to make me the CHAIR of the entire committee! :huh: They said that since my move isn't certain, they could handle it if I left half way, that I am one of the most senior volunteers and very qualified.

It's quite a prestigious thing, really, and would look GREAT on a resume. But I would have to be more involved and pretend to be excited about something that I find rather dreary.

:help:

Should I take it? Or get out entirely?

Last edited:
You shouldn't force yourself to do something you hate, even if it looks good on your resume. I would bow out gracefully right now!

You can break into someone's house and steal their VCR and get less than a year. Is prestige worth it? If you aren't interested in the capacity you are in now, I dont think it could possibly be worth it in a larger more boring role.
I've been working in HR in a private hospital recently, mainly working with the 103 committtees they have for everything and its...dull doesn't even describe it. The DOH was talking the other day about a mid year ball they will be having for staff and I asked who will be organising this and her mouth twitched and she said "Another committee..."

I think they're wanky. You're already bored.
:slant:

You can break into someone's house and steal their VCR and get less than a year.
:lmao:

Hmmm, sweetie. I guess it depends on how much time it takes. If this is a once-every-two-months thing, maybe it's worth having on a resume. How much work is it? Is it stressful at all?

I agree with BAW that you shouldn't do something you hate but I guess it depends on how obtrusive it is on your life. Maybe if you have to ask the question, the answer is no.

Omg I just figured out where Mr. Baw comes from lmao :crazy:

Anyway...I think you should leave cos if you're bored to death then you shouldn't do something that makes you unhappy. You'll still have that on your resume anyway.

LOL no i'm just that slow :lol: I was like Mr. Baw and BAW...I was like where the hell is there another BAW...until I saw Bono's American Wife this morning. :lmao: Oh i'm sad LOL

:lol: ^

Anyway, quit the committee. Sounds like your resume doesn't need any beefing up anyway.

Jess....

why not MAKE the committee interesting when you lead it! :up:

But I am not favoring either way, I am just trying to provide a different view.

If the committee is boring and its not repairable, quit. I have been on voluntary/charity committees in my past. Put it on my CV didnt I. Got a job in an office and they put me on every committee going! Carefully what you do now affects where you will end up.

PS Mrs Edge. Every time I read your posts it sounds like we are living the same life with you a few years behind me. Spooky. :ohmy:

I am sort of agreeing with Zoney!

When you are the chair, different opportunities may present themselves that might not have been there before. If it is boring, make some changes, make a difference and make it better. Chances are you are not the only one who finds it boring.

Take the position, delegate the boring work to someone else. Use the position to make new contacts - they may lead to better positions.

Showing progression in a position is a plus.

Jumping around too much can be taken as a negative.

As the Chair - you are in charge! Make it the best world for you.

Quit.

I just left a part time job I hated and never felt better. It's truly liberating. Besides, your CV sounds impressive as it stands, I doubt this will ever be a dealbreaker for you.

Quit, do you realy think that the rest of the committee won`t notice your boredom after some time ? A vollenteer committee deserves something better than someone who thinks about a resume.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom