Help! I have an ethical conundrum! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2003, 10:12 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:26 PM
ahhh opals Mrs Edge...you haven't seen one? I think they may be unique to Australia. They are a gemstone that comes in a divine array of colours. They are my mother's birthstone as well, which ties in with the story I told above. I stayed with my parents recently for our family reunion. I try to always give my mum quality time in amongst all the mayhem and she really appreciates that. I am their baby, their youngest, but I am the baby who listens. Mum gave me one of her opal rings, a white one, that displays green from one angle and red from another. It really matches the moonstone pendant my girlfriend's gave me recently. My sister nearly choked when I said "look at the ring mum gave me" Little did she know I spent the day sorting and cataloguing her deceased father's last few belongings and trying to encourage mum to give them to her ( a guitar pick and mum's first wedding ring...it is so tiny, a simple band of gold..)
So opal fossicking is scratching in the dirt in the outback, trying to find a deposit that hasn't already been discovered. Not bad for an 85 year old. I think they intend to bop till they drop.

pS: my yabby Orlando nearly died recently, I saved him just in time. yabby = freshwater crayfish = entertaining pet.

Old 05-29-2003, 10:27 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

well I enjoyed that

sorry to go of topic here..again!
I did a google search and found all sorts of fascinating things.
Opals are found in Australia, Brasil, Honduras Guatemala and USA. It is Nevada's state gemstone......that's it I wanna take mum to Vegas and buy her a ring Elvis Presley would be proud of
Metaphysical
Healing Properties The stone is believed to aid in the healing of eye diseases. If one is ill, opal is believed to lose all color to the wearer. Said to soothe the eyes and the nerves. May enhance creativity.
Astrology Connected to the signs of Cancer, Libra, Pisces, and Scorpio. Ruled by Mercury. Fire opal is the stone of the Summer season. It is associated with the September moon (Harvest Moon).
Chakra 2nd - Social Center (Fire Opal)
Feng Shui Assists in clearing and releasing negative patterns.

Legends & Folklore
Although there were several different meanings for opal, the Greek names for opal were "paederos" (child or favorite) or "keraunios" (thunder stone) which were the most popular. The stone was considered to be one of good fortune by the Romans who revered the stone as a powerful aid to prophecy. The Russians had the complete opposite belief in the stone since they viewed the stone as being nothing but bad luck. Since the 14th century, many cultures have considered this stone to be an Eye stone, a stone that watches over royal families as well as a stone that strengthens the eyesight
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2003, 10:33 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I also found this

my sisyter and I often exchange gifts that have a mermaid theme. This came up in the "opal" google search at a site called www.pamelina.com( my name is pamela...neato) it is from a series called celestial mermaids. I'll be able to make a nice e-card for my sister...thanks for steering me in that direction
Attached Images