Help hard drive shopping!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

Can anyone tell me if I'll have any compatibility problems with it or if there's anything else I should know. Is it worth the money and is Best Buy a reputable site?

Thanks!

What kind of system are u running now? Gimme some details. Then I can tell you if you're going to get the most out of your potentially new hard drive. These days drives are backward compatible, but it will only transfer data as fast as your motherboard can handle.

Consider Maxtor hard drives - I've had no problem with mine. Also, take a look at Multiwave Direct (mwave.com) - great selection and prices. I built a computer and got all my components from mwave.

Only suggestion would be to also check ebay. I got an external hd for about 120 bucks less than what I would have paid in the store. I'm sure someone will ship internationally.

Brian

Re: Re: Help hard drive shopping!!

daafish said:

What kind of system are u running now? Gimme some details. Then I can tell you if you're going to get the most out of your potentially new hard drive. These days drives are backward compatible, but it will only transfer data as fast as your motherboard can handle.

I'll have 2 P.C.'s; one I'm using now and one unfinished.

My current one is a PIII 1ghz. with 128mb. RAM (probably going to upgrade to 384mb.) with Windows ME and a 20gb. HDD.

My new one has a really good Socket 370 Soyo motherboard (Windows XP compatible) with all the trimmings. I have a 32mb. AGP graphics card and a Celeron 800mhz. CPU (got it way back in last January - considering upgrading to a higher-end Socket 370, possible a PIII 1.2ghz). I also have a recently aquired case.

My options are; copy from my current 20gb. (nearly full) to my 80gb. and use it in my principal (PIII) computer. Or... do a fresh install of Windows ME on my new comp (I have the ME backup disc... XP is too expensive) and copy all the files through the ethernet I plan to establish and use that as my principal MP3-storing HDD.

What do you think?

Oh and has anyone here baught off Best Buy before? Do they ship abroad?

Bri2k said:
Only suggestion would be to also check ebay. I got an external hd for about 120 bucks less than what I would have paid in the store. I'm sure someone will ship internationally.

Brian

I baught my CPU and graphics card off Ebay but was advised (and I quote) buying Hard Drives second hand is "a recipe for disaster".

Oh, one more thing...

What's an EIDE drive? Shouldn't have any trouble should I? Can anyone tell me the differences between IDE, EIDE, SCSI, ATAPI etc. and which would work for me?

Back
Top Bottom