Help burning dvd's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schmeg

Blue Crack Addict
Help! I've been trying for a few hours now to copy some dvd's on my new computer, and I think I'm stumped! This is a long story but I really appreciate the help from anyone who has a clue!

I am using a dvd I know to work, and I'm trying to copy it onto a Memorex DVD-R.

First I tried copying with the program that came on the computer. I burned (not copied) a CD with the same program last week so I know the computer CAN burn things. It wouldn't copy the dvd, and I tried to do it two different ways (direct copy, and saving information and then burning it).

I've heard good things about Nero, so I downloaded a trial of the latest version with all the bells and whistles. Once again, tried to copy the same dvd in two different ways. The first was saving the info, then burning it, but it said the disc wasn't properly formatted. There seemed to be no way to format it there. So I found a copy option, figured out which disc wanted to be in which drive, and went from there. Nero told me the dvd burned successfully, but it won't play in either my computer or my dvd player; it's telling me "Incorrect disc."

Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong? :|

Edited to add: The computer is about 2 weeks old, and this is the first time I've taken the dvd burner out for a spin. It's possible that it just doesn't work right...pretty likely, considering my luck.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone (except IWB :madspit:* )! Pictures are always appreciated! :D

It's actually a bootleg concert I'm trying to copy, but I'll take a look at the decrypter.

* :sexywink:

Are you trying to copy a DVD and make your own? For a while, it was legal to get software that allowed you to do this legally, as it WAS legal (i.e., one is allowed to make a copy of an official DVD/CD/album/tape for one's private use). However, the best software for doing this has been banned from putting the DVD copy feature in. It is called "DVD X Copy". Just recently has the ban been put in place, so you can still find official copies of this software with the DVD copying feature (that overrides the encryption) to make copies of your DVD's.

If you want to burn your own DVD made from material you gathered, the best softwae I've found is "ULead DVD Movie Factory". Other software programs have problems either encoding or burning. "ULead" is great at encoding and burning.

I would avoid "MGI Videowave 5". That might encode well, but I've always had trouble with it burning a DVD. I have not used Nero for burning a DVD.

ULead and DVD X Copy can be obtained via downloads (to save you time) and I believe that they also come with 30 day trials.

u2ulysses said:
Are you trying to copy a DVD and make your own? For a while, it was legal to get software that allowed you to do this legally, as it WAS legal (i.e., one is allowed to make a copy of an official DVD/CD/album/tape for one's private use). However, the best software for doing this has been banned from putting the DVD copy feature in. It is called "DVD X Copy". Just recently has the ban been put in place, so you can still find official copies of this software with the DVD copying feature (that overrides the encryption) to make copies of your DVD's.

If you want to burn your own DVD made from material you gathered, the best softwae I've found is "ULead DVD Movie Factory". Other software programs have problems either encoding or burning. "ULead" is great at encoding and burning.

I would avoid "MGI Videowave 5". That might encode well, but I've always had trouble with it burning a DVD. I have not used Nero for burning a DVD.

ULead and DVD X Copy can be obtained via downloads (to save you time) and I believe that they also come with 30 day trials.
Thank you!! I'll check out that ULead thing. :yes:

My brother has just informed me there's a difference between DVD-R and DVD+R and naturally I bought the wrong kind. :rolleyes: Thanks the help...hopefully tomorrow I'll have it all under control!

was wondering if my presence would go unnoticed!

Schmeg said:
Thanks everyone (except IWB :madspit:* )! Pictures are always appreciated! :D

It's actually a bootleg concert I'm trying to copy, but I'll take a look at the decrypter.

* :sexywink:

:shifty:

you know, right after posting i thought of making a comment about how terribly unhelpful i really was...then i realized you're probably aware of the fact that i would know nothing about recording DVDs anway, and naturally i'd show up just to get in the way. :wink:

yor adventures with this technology make me think that when i have problems burning cds 90% of the time i try, there's no way i could master this.

Re: of course not, i cracked up when i saw :yikes: there!

IWasBored said:

:shifty:

you know, right after posting i thought of making a comment about how terribly unhelpful i really was...then i realized you're probably aware of the fact that i would know nothing about recording DVDs anway, and naturally i'd show up just to get in the way. :wink:

yor adventures with this technology make me think that when i have problems burning cds 90% of the time i try, there's no way i could master this.
If I can do it, anyone can do it. :yes:

Just buy the right kind of discs, and it's easy!

PS: Best Buy took back the other spindle and the kid was new and forgot to charge a restocking fee, as one was missing because I ruined it. Everything is working perfectly now!

Back
Top Bottom