Help! appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Tha_Beatles_Help__91056.jpg

I absolutely love this record. It's so much better than any other early Beatles record. Just look at the tracklisting:

1. Help!
2. The Night Before
3. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
4. I Need You
5. Another Girl
6. You're Going To Lose That Girl
7. Ticket To Ride
8. Act Naturally
9. It's Only Love
10. You Like Me Too Much
11. Tell Me What You See
12. I've Just Seen A Face
13. Yesterday
14. Dizzy Miss Lizzie

The songs in bold are classics, but I must say that outside of Act Naturally and You Like Me Too Much (Dizzie Miss Lizzie is a terrible closer, but it's still a lot of fun :yes: ) the album is perfect. Before this, Beatles albums had a chunk of brilliance and a handful of bland covers or mediocre originals; Beatles For Sale is a perfect example (a very underrated album just the same). This was the album where they got the formula right.

I'll tell you a little secret: I'd rather listen to this than the White Album. :shh:

Re: Re: Help! appreciation thread

elevated_u2_fan said:

:shock: Are you high? :wink:

Good album, I'm kinda cheezed that Yesterday was voted #1 in the poll over "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" wich is one of my top 10 faves :love:

Probably. :wink: But there sure isn't anything as bad/pointless as Bungalow Bill, Wild Honey Pie, or Glass Onion present here.

Ticket To Ride is my definitely my favorite on Help, how did that one do? 3rd?

elevated_u2_fan said:
I don't remember, I was high at the time :wink:

Don't forget about Rocky Raccoon :love: ...

Yep, that one is pretty pointless, but not bad. :up:

But anyway, back on the subject of Help...:angry:

One of the things I love most about this album is that even the throwaways feel like songs from the previous albums on steroids...the whole thing is one big improvement. Take a song like the Night Before; on With The Beatles it would have been considered one of the best, but here it slips to the middle of the pack. It just shows much the band had already improved. :up:

In terms of Beatles movies it's not the high point or the low point either IMO - thank you MMT :angry:

It's worth checking out though, there is a scene where George gets his sleeve arm torn off by an electric hand dryer in a bathroom which is pretty funny :happy:

I know... You had to be there... :|

Well this kicks copious amounts of ass...I just found the whole movie on YouTube. I'd best watch it before some executive at EMI decides they need money for a sandwich and take it off. :angry:

Oh my god, I absolutely adore this movie. It's full of random and goofy humor, which I love. I used to be able to quote tons from it, but it's been a while since I've seen it.

"Look out, Ringo! A fiendish thingy!"

WHY is it not on DVD? :mad:

The album is one of my favorite Beatles albums, too.

corianderstem said:
Oh my god, I absolutely adore this movie. It's full of random and goofy humor, which I love. I used to be able to quote tons from it, but it's been a while since I've seen it.

:cute:

I'm starting to love this movie too. It's brilliant. :lol:

corianderstem said:

Is it as good as A Hard Day's Night?

Ringo: *mumbling* ... Grandfather! HAHAHAHA

Oh my God, I love Beatlemovies.

And the album does kick as, Help! is the best poppy song they've ever done.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Is it as good as A Hard Day's Night?

It's much sillier. But in a really, really good way.

The closing credits crack my shit up. Wacky Beatles goofing around while that music from The Barber of Seville plays, and the Beatles kind of sort of nonsensically sing along with it.

Tiny, shrunken Paul, clothed in a gum wrapper!

"Please say no more." "I can say no more."

"Psst! Beatle!"

My god, the intermission!!!!

GENIUS.

Great album, great movie...

Always enjoyed You've Gotta Hide Your Love Away and You Like Me Too Much, and Tell Me What You See and I Need You...and every other track...

Back
Top Bottom