hello from Tornado Alley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
There is a tornado in the next county. I just hope it doesn't cross the county line and come get us in Birmingham. I sure am sick of tornados. :mad: :mad: :censored: :censored: :scream: :scream:

:hug: to everyone having storms tonite

I thought we were really gonna get it here last night...there were tornado warnings west of here, but the storms fizzled out before they got here...that's the way it's been for us all month...we've had tornado warnings but then the storm either goes around us or fizzles before it gets here....it's good that we're not getting the tornadoes and hail, but we really really need the rain :|

I've never felt an earthquake...I think I'd like to feel one someday, as long as it wasn't a big one causing damage...just like I'd also like to go with the storm chasers some day and see a tornado.

ABEL said:
I thought we were really gonna get it here last night...there were tornado warnings west of here, but the storms fizzled out before they got here...that's the way it's been for us all month...we've had tornado warnings but then the storm either goes around us or fizzles before it gets here....it's good that we're not getting the tornadoes and hail, but we really really need the rain :|

That's the way it is here for us. We're usually pretty lucky...the storms usually go around us or die before they get here or we get them, but the worst of it stays away from us.

Which is perfectly fine with me.

Originally posted by ABEL
I've never felt an earthquake...I think I'd like to feel one someday, as long as it wasn't a big one causing damage...

Ooh, my dad lived in California as a kid...and then he and my mom lived out there for a brief time...he's experienced some earthquakes-he was on a bridge one day when an earthquake hit and the bridge started to sway. Luckily nothing really serious happened, but that would be utterly scary.

Originally posted by ABEL
just like I'd also like to go with the storm chasers some day and see a tornado.

*Shudders*

Ooh, I wouldn't. I have much respect for storm chasers, 'cause they're willing to face danger, and their contribution to understanding tornadoes better and helping to save more lives is very commendable.

But I wouldn't have the guts to face that stuff. The storm chasers can get as close as they wish to a tornado-I'll just scurry down to my little storm cellar.

Angela

I've felt many a earthquake. They're actually kinda cool when they're mild.. you feel kinda like you're on crack.. :crack:

When the big one hit in '89 I was about 16, sitting in my car in the parking lot outside of work with some friends. At first I thought my friend was pushing my car back and forth.. I was like "hey cut it out!" then I looked to the side of me and saw all the cars in the parking lot moving back and forth and all of a sudden I got that sinking heart fluttering feeling and I was like :ohmy:

I dont think I'd want to be anywhere near a tornado :no:

Sicy said:
I've felt many a earthquake. They're actually kinda cool when they're mild.. you feel kinda like you're on crack.. :crack:

When the big one hit in '89 I was about 16, sitting in my car in the parking lot outside of work with some friends. At first I thought my friend was pushing my car back and forth.. I was like "hey cut it out!" then I looked to the side of me and saw all the cars in the parking lot moving back and forth and all of a sudden I got that sinking heart fluttering feeling and I was like :ohmy:

my dad was out there during the big one on a lay over when he was a pilot. he wasn't anywhere really close to the main quake, but he said he felt his bed shake and he woke up around 4am when the quake hit. I think it was the quake of '89 but I'm not exactly sure...I know it was a major quake that he felt.

I dont think I'd want to be anywhere near a tornado :no:
I don't want to be 'near' a tornado either, but I do want to see one at least from a few miles away, as long as I was sure it wasn't coming towards me...even if I didn't see a tornado tho, it would still be fascinating to travel with the storm chasers for an afternoon. I :heart: storms.

Thursday night about 18 tornados touched down in the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles. :crazy:

They were touching down in towns in every direction all around me but thank God they never did here.

I have seen tornados up close and personal. I don't want to do it again. :| I have felt a small earthquake and I didn't care for that either. :uhoh:

ABEL said:
my dad was out there during the big one on a lay over when he was a pilot. he wasn't anywhere really close to the main quake, but he said he felt his bed shake and he woke up around 4am when the quake hit. I think it was the quake of '89 but I'm not exactly sure...I know it was a major quake that he felt..

The 89 one wasnt at 4am. I dont remember what time it was but it was sometime in the afternoon. We've had a couple big ones though.

Question... do you guys that live near tornados have basements??

I remember being in a tornado watch when I was younger, visiting family in Nebraska.. we had to go down into the basement.. I was skerd :uhoh:

We don't have basements in Texas for some strange reason :shrug: I've heard different reasons from the soil being too hard and dry, to $$$. I'm not really sure why we don't have basements or some kind of storm shelter...I live on a 2nd floor apartment building...in case of a tornado the only place I'd have to take cover is my bathtub :uhoh:

If I ever have my own house, I'm putting a basement in, or at least one of those strong super reinforced rooms.

anybody remember the tornado in downtown miami?

that was crazy

miator.jpg

Sicy said:
no...we all cram in our bathroom. all four of us. :der:

it's the safest room supposedly, it's in the center of the house and has no windows. i've never seen a house here with a basement. we have an attic though, but that doesn't help when severe weather hits.

the only time I've lived in a house with a basement was in Denver when I was a kid, and also my grandparents in New Jersey had a basement, but I don't recall there being many tornados there...those places aren't even any where near tornado alley :der: :scratch:

Sicy said:
Question... do you guys that live near tornados have basements?

A lot of houses here have basements.

My house doesn't have a basement, but it does have a storm cellar.

But you wanna know the stupid part?

My town doesn't have tornado sirens. For some reason, our town just never felt they were necessary. If there's a tornado warning, a police car drives through the town alerting the people. Or we hear it on the radio or on T.V.

But no tornado sirens-they're planning on putting some in next year for the first time ever.

This actually shouldn't surprise me, though...this area seems awfully laid back about severe weather. I remember when my family first moved over to where I live now, we lived in an apartment for a brief time. Well, whenever severe weather was coming our way, since there was no basement or storm cellar nearby, we would get in our car and drive out to where my dad worked, where there was a basement.

And as we're driving through town, there's people still out on the golf course, or near a lake, or sitting outside chatting.

And I'm like, "Uh, hello? Any of you notice the sky?"

Nobody takes it seriously anymore. And for some reason, kids at school think that if we have a tornado warning sometime, that'd mean we'd go home early.

What do they think we have tornado drills for?

Speaking of which, my sister has told us before about how, when she was in middle school, if she was in shop class during a tornado drill, her teacher would take them back into the room next to the classroom-the one with all the saws and machines and wood and nails and all that.

Yeah, THERE'S the place to be during a tornado!

Course, I guess it wouldn't really matter where you were in the school, 'cause if a tornado did hit the school, those things would go flying all over the place.

But still...what a stupid place to send a class should a tornado ever hit.

Angela

I have a full basement! A lot of the older houses in the Texas panhandle have basements, but the newer ones don't. :confused:

Oh and just a side note for anyone reading this.... if you are an adult please please be calm in front of children during bad weather.

When I was about 6 years we had a tornado warning and the sirens were blowing etc... I was downtown with my grandmother and she completely FREAKED :crazy: she took me by the hand and we were running down the streets trying to get to the court house (they had a basement) and she was screaming the whole time. It scared me to death! :sad:
I have been tormented with tornado nightmares ever since! I would say that if you avereged it out I have a tornado nightmare at least once a month since that event and I am 38 years old! :\

Sicy said:

You bet I do! That stupid thing blew out our power last night and today. We got it back about an hour ago. Meanwhile it feels like it's February outside.:mad: :mad: :censored: :censored: :scream: :scream:

EPandAmerica said:
Thursday night about 18 tornados touched down in the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles. :crazy:

I grew up in the Oklahoma panhandle, and my parents still live out there. When I called them, the sirens were going off, and they said they'd call me back. About an hour later, Dad calls back to say he's been hanging out with the cops and the storm chasers from Amarillo's channel ten, watching the storm head into Guymon. I was all, "Glad you're having fun, Dad!" :crazy:

Where do you live, EP? I don't know about you, but I've just about had it with the weather lately. And central Oklahoma's got more in store during the upcoming week. :down: :scream:

Everyone stay safe! :hug:

Back
Top Bottom