Hell For Certain, Kentucky Superthread - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #421
The Male

Local Time: 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek

someone give me a summary of what this is a response to
Basically, Screwtape proved that the perceived elitist attitude so many have in regards to DI is very real (the attitude that caused me to come up with the fake list idea in the first place) by throwing a fit when he found out I was 100% serious in entering the fake list at some juncture.

Now.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:15 AM   #422
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Oh, and I forgot to mention this earlier; I fully intend on doing a U2 cartoon where a member of the band (haven't chosen yet, probably Larry), joins the Desert Island competition. Not sure where to take this without it getting vitriolic, but it's a great idea, and people LOVE the episodes that directly reference the forum.

can it get totally trashed, because the band member is anonymous, and he included some songs by little known bands...that turn out to be u2's new stuff? that everyone hates on. and then loves when they find out it's u2.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 AM   #423
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:40 PM
The runner with Cloud on his shirt has no visible todger
Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 AM   #424
The Male

Quote:

can it get totally trashed, because the band member is anonymous, and he included some songs by little known bands...that turn out to be u2's new stuff? that everyone hates on. and then loves when they find out it's u2.
Oh, absolutely. Larry will fill it with absolute shit songs that everyone hates, and the bashing that results will completely destroy his psyche.

Now.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:18 AM   #425
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Basically, LM is a rabble rouser who's radical views of DI's rules & code of conduct have become a threat to the very fabric of the game and could lead to the detonation of the Doomsday Machine
Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 AM   #426
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

Because it is against the rules. I think pretending that is his list until everyone gives it a listen is fine. After that he has to have a serious playlist to compete.
You say it is against the rules, and yet to fail to explain why, when I have pointed out - as the author of the rules - that it is within both letter and spirit. For a song to be permissible, it must meet the following criteria:

1. It must be officially released. Let's break this down. "Officially" means it is released by the artist or with the explicit permission of the artist. Therefore, bootlegs - even those implicitly allowed by the artist - are out. "Released" means that it has been made available for the listening public to access, without any limitation to the format - vinyl, CD, MP3, FLAC, whatever. Online releases have always been allowed, and playlists - including in this current edition - have featured tracks only available from MySpace, iTunes, or the artist's website. I myself have used Pure Reason Revolution's Victorious Cupid (MySpace; Prog Island Supertracklist) and Sörskogen's Mordet i Grottan (artist's website; DI III). LM's tracks will very satisfactorily fulfill this requirement.

2. It must not be a repeat of an earlier artist. LM's using four unique artists, thus he satisfies this rule too. You may say "BUT HE'S IN ALL OF THEM!" To which I say - are you unfamiliar with the concept of a musician having multiple projects? If you employ this objection, then you must ban me for using Porcupine Tree and Incredible Expanding Mindfuck, both Steven Wilson projects - IEM is SW only, and the same goes for all PT studio material up to and including The Sky Moves Sideways. My next playlist at this stage has a track from the SW-only PT era, and an IEM track. What do you say to that?

And you completely ignored my point about PT's origins being fundamentally the same to what LM's doing.

If you ban LM's songs, then you by extension have to ban anything by Porcupine Tree pre-Signify (funny how you used a pre-Signify track this time, eh?), anything by Eluvium (who phanan used), anything by Martin Phillipps (who I used), etc. Your logic is going to eradicate just about any diversity because of your peculiar definition of a "real" artist. LM's not a real artist because he posts here? Is Andrew not a real artist because he posts here too?

I think through this post and my earlier one, I have thoroughly dismissed your untenable position.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-22-2008, 03:19 AM   #427
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by hardyharhar
Basically, LM is a rabble rouser who's radical views of DI's rules & code of conduct have become a threat to the very fabric of the game and could lead to the detonation of the Doomsday Machine
And any attempts to disarm it will result in the annihilation of the human race.

Now.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:21 AM   #428
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Oh, and I forgot to mention this earlier; I fully intend on doing a U2 cartoon where a member of the band (haven't chosen yet, probably Larry), joins the Desert Island competition. Not sure where to take this without it getting vitriolic, but it's a great idea, and people LOVE the episodes that directly reference the forum.
Larry's perfect, given his collection of Westlife CDs!

You're at a bringing-the-laughs creative peak right now, you realise?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-22-2008, 03:22 AM   #429
Vocal parasite

Quote:

And any attempts to disarm it will result in the Annhilation Tour.
Fixed.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-22-2008, 03:24 AM   #430
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:

Basically, Screwtape proved that the perceived elitist attitude so many have in regards to DI is very real (the attitude that caused me to come up with the fake list idea in the first place) by throwing a fit when he found out I was 100% serious in entering the fake list at some juncture.
he has a ginormous stick up his ass

why are there so many train horns tonight? axver, can you find out why?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:24 AM   #431
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Larry's perfect, given his collection of Westlife CDs!

You're at a bringing-the-laughs creative peak right now, you realise?

1. Westlife - "Queen Of My Heart" - World Of Our Own
2. Spice Girls - "Viva Forever" - Spiceworld
3. U2 - "October" - October
4. Duran Duran - "White Lines" - Thank You

Khan will appreciate the reference, I'm sure.

Now.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:25 AM   #432
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2

My Lovely Horse, a joke song from the greatest TV show ever, probably a 12th Man track (spoken word) and a few poppy, obscure NZ artists.

I'll like it.
What poppy obscure Kiwi artists are we talking here? The Chills, Able Tasmans, The Clean, Headless Chickens, Goblin Mix, etc., or are you not into the Dunedin Sound/Flying Nun scene?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #433
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Quote:

Nice insight into humans Varitek. I like the way you think
Old 04-22-2008, 03:29 AM   #434
Vocal parasite

Quote:
why are there so many train horns tonight? axver, can you find out why?
[longwindednerd]

Nowadays, since conductors/guards tend to be a thing of the past, it's usually a warning - say when a train is approaching a level crossing, to alert motorists to the train's approach. So it could mean there are more idiots than usual fouling the lines, or it could mean there are just more trains.

Alternatively, if your part of the world is lucky enough to still have conductors/guards, then whistles are often used to communicate between the locomotive crew and the conductor/guard. For example, in New Zealand, three short blasts of the horn meant that the guard was to apply the emergency brakes.

[/longwindednerd]

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-22-2008, 03:30 AM   #435
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by hardyharhar

Nice insight into humans Varitek. I like the way you think
I like that idea too. It's also a delightfully subtle nod to the Fake List.

Now.

Tags
superthread