Hell For Certain, Kentucky Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varitek said:

someone give me a summary of what this is a response to

Basically, Screwtape proved that the perceived elitist attitude so many have in regards to DI is very real (the attitude that caused me to come up with the fake list idea in the first place) by throwing a fit when he found out I was 100% serious in entering the fake list at some juncture.

LemonMelon said:
Oh, and I forgot to mention this earlier; I fully intend on doing a U2 cartoon where a member of the band (haven't chosen yet, probably Larry), joins the Desert Island competition. Not sure where to take this without it getting vitriolic, but it's a great idea, and people LOVE the episodes that directly reference the forum.

:drool:

can it get totally trashed, because the band member is anonymous, and he included some songs by little known bands...that turn out to be u2's new stuff? that everyone hates on. and then loves when they find out it's u2.

Varitek said:

can it get totally trashed, because the band member is anonymous, and he included some songs by little known bands...that turn out to be u2's new stuff? that everyone hates on. and then loves when they find out it's u2.

Oh, absolutely. Larry will fill it with absolute shit songs that everyone hates, and the bashing that results will completely destroy his psyche.

Basically, LM is a rabble rouser who's radical views of DI's rules & code of conduct have become a threat to the very fabric of the game and could lead to the detonation of the Doomsday Machine :)

Screwtape2 said:

Because it is against the rules. I think pretending that is his list until everyone gives it a listen is fine. After that he has to have a serious playlist to compete.

You say it is against the rules, and yet to fail to explain why, when I have pointed out - as the author of the rules - that it is within both letter and spirit. For a song to be permissible, it must meet the following criteria:

1. It must be officially released. Let's break this down. "Officially" means it is released by the artist or with the explicit permission of the artist. Therefore, bootlegs - even those implicitly allowed by the artist - are out. "Released" means that it has been made available for the listening public to access, without any limitation to the format - vinyl, CD, MP3, FLAC, whatever. Online releases have always been allowed, and playlists - including in this current edition - have featured tracks only available from MySpace, iTunes, or the artist's website. I myself have used Pure Reason Revolution's Victorious Cupid (MySpace; Prog Island Supertracklist) and Sörskogen's Mordet i Grottan (artist's website; DI III). LM's tracks will very satisfactorily fulfill this requirement.

2. It must not be a repeat of an earlier artist. LM's using four unique artists, thus he satisfies this rule too. You may say "BUT HE'S IN ALL OF THEM!" To which I say - are you unfamiliar with the concept of a musician having multiple projects? If you employ this objection, then you must ban me for using Porcupine Tree and Incredible Expanding Mindfuck, both Steven Wilson projects - IEM is SW only, and the same goes for all PT studio material up to and including The Sky Moves Sideways. My next playlist at this stage has a track from the SW-only PT era, and an IEM track. What do you say to that?

And you completely ignored my point about PT's origins being fundamentally the same to what LM's doing.

If you ban LM's songs, then you by extension have to ban anything by Porcupine Tree pre-Signify (funny how you used a pre-Signify track this time, eh?), anything by Eluvium (who phanan used), anything by Martin Phillipps (who I used), etc. Your logic is going to eradicate just about any diversity because of your peculiar definition of a "real" artist. LM's not a real artist because he posts here? Is Andrew not a real artist because he posts here too?

I think through this post and my earlier one, I have thoroughly dismissed your untenable position.

hardyharhar said:
Basically, LM is a rabble rouser who's radical views of DI's rules & code of conduct have become a threat to the very fabric of the game and could lead to the detonation of the Doomsday Machine :)

And any attempts to disarm it will result in the annihilation of the human race. :wink:

LemonMelon said:
Oh, and I forgot to mention this earlier; I fully intend on doing a U2 cartoon where a member of the band (haven't chosen yet, probably Larry), joins the Desert Island competition. Not sure where to take this without it getting vitriolic, but it's a great idea, and people LOVE the episodes that directly reference the forum.

Larry's perfect, given his collection of Westlife CDs! :laugh:

You're at a bringing-the-laughs creative peak right now, you realise? :wink:

LemonMelon said:

Basically, Screwtape proved that the perceived elitist attitude so many have in regards to DI is very real (the attitude that caused me to come up with the fake list idea in the first place) by throwing a fit when he found out I was 100% serious in entering the fake list at some juncture.

he has a ginormous stick up his ass

why are there so many train horns tonight? axver, can you find out why?

Axver said:

Larry's perfect, given his collection of Westlife CDs! :laugh:

You're at a bringing-the-laughs creative peak right now, you realise? :wink:

:wink:

1. Westlife - "Queen Of My Heart" - World Of Our Own
2. Spice Girls - "Viva Forever" - Spiceworld
3. U2 - "October" - October
4. Duran Duran - "White Lines" - Thank You

Khan will appreciate the reference, I'm sure. :larry:

coolian2 said:

My Lovely Horse, a joke song from the greatest TV show ever, probably a 12th Man track (spoken word) and a few poppy, obscure NZ artists.

I'll like it.

What poppy obscure Kiwi artists are we talking here? The Chills, Able Tasmans, The Clean, Headless Chickens, Goblin Mix, etc., or are you not into the Dunedin Sound/Flying Nun scene?

Varitek said:

:lol:

Nice insight into humans Varitek. I like the way you think :)

Varitek said:
why are there so many train horns tonight? axver, can you find out why?

[longwindednerd]

Nowadays, since conductors/guards tend to be a thing of the past, it's usually a warning - say when a train is approaching a level crossing, to alert motorists to the train's approach. So it could mean there are more idiots than usual fouling the lines, or it could mean there are just more trains.

Alternatively, if your part of the world is lucky enough to still have conductors/guards, then whistles are often used to communicate between the locomotive crew and the conductor/guard. For example, in New Zealand, three short blasts of the horn meant that the guard was to apply the emergency brakes.

[/longwindednerd]

LemonMelon said:

Forget the vitriol, and make it a comedy. It'll be more fun to write.

hardyharhar said:

Forget the vitriol, and make it a comedy. It'll be more fun to write.

All of the cartoons are a tad acidic, but that's part of the fun. Outside of the few stick-up-their-ass types, DI is great fun for me. The idea of all of the abuse being tossed on an anonymous member of U2 is great though.

coolian2 said:

None of that, at this stage, i'm afraid.

Oh, shame, because if you're doing something rather non-serious, Evil Barbeque by Able Tasmans would be absolutely ideal.

That song cracks me up every time. It shouldn't be my favourite track on A Cuppa Tea And A Lie Down but it is anyway. That evil, evil barbecue!

LemonMelon said:

All of the cartoons are a tad acidic, but that's part of the fun. Outside of the few stick-up-their-ass types, DI is great fun for me. The idea of all of the abuse being tossed on an anonymous member of U2 is great though.

I hope my support of your DI V submission means I'm not one of those with a stick up their arse ... any more. :wink:

Sometimes I wonder what the worst flow of all time would sound like, or if that would even be possible to achieve. Maybe I can fit a Monty Python routine onto Larry's list. Everyone who does DI for the first time takes it literally, so it could work like that.

Axver said:

I hope my support of your DI V submission means I'm not one of those with a stick up their arse ... any more. :wink:

Honestly, Axver, you've gained a lot of respect in my eyes by the way you've handled the whole Fake List idea. Others would have been insulted, but you've taken it a step further and actually stuck your neck out for me, which I appreciate.

Axver said:

Oh, shame, because if you're doing something rather non-serious, Evil Barbeque by Able Tasmans would be absolutely ideal.

That song cracks me up every time. It shouldn't be my favourite track on A Cuppa Tea And A Lie Down but it is anyway. That evil, evil barbecue!

I just remembered Graeme Hill (aka Graeme Humphreys) is in the Able Tasmans. I love him. I'll have to get some of their stuff.

LemonMelon said:
Sometimes I wonder what the worst flow of all time would sound like, or if that would even be possible to achieve. Maybe I can fit a Monty Python routine onto Larry's list. Everyone who does DI for the first time takes it literally, so it could work like that.

All That You Can't Leave Behind.

LemonMelon said:

Honestly, Axver, you've gained a lot of respect in my eyes by the way you've handled the whole Fake List idea. Others would have been insulted, but you've taken it a step further and actually stuck your neck out for me, which I appreciate.

Just root him already.

Axver said:

I should also note i have a sneaky suspicion mine will be stuck between serious and non-serious.

coolian2 said:

Just root him already.

Bah, you just wrote a few comments that vaguely bashed Screwtape's idea of what DI should be. Next time, write a fucking book about it and you'll get a kind word or two. :wink:

coolian2 said:

I just remembered Graeme Hill (aka Graeme Humphreys) is in the Able Tasmans. I love him. I'll have to get some of their stuff.

Oh, you should. A Cuppa Tea And A Lie Down is their best-known and has some great tracks, but Hey, Spinner! is even better in terms of the actual quality of music - they really matured by then, though it meant the loss of Evil Barbeque-ish tracks.

LemonMelon said:

I think it's a bloody fantastic idea. It both takes the piss out of the game and actually sounds like it's going to have some interesting music - that you've taken the time to make yourself! I frankly think it's one of the best ideas anyone's had, and you're putting more effort into it than I think anybody's put into a DI list before.

LemonMelon said:

Bah, you just wrote a few comments that vaguely bashed Screwtape's idea of what DI should be. Next time, write a fucking book about it and you'll get a kind word or two. :wink:

I wasn't looking for praise, i was just out to troll a bit.

Perhaps i have a subject for my novel now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom