Heisman hopefuls!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
could it have anything to do with him being from minnesota? ;)

i'll have to agree with ya... larry fitzgerald is the best player in the nation. i don't think he'll win the heisman, just because he's a soph... but i think he should...

and i have my reasons too... he's a former valley forge military accademy football player, just like my father.

ahh...that's cool (Valley Forge Military Academy). :up:

Yes....the High school that he went to (before finishing at Valley Forge) is the HS I worked at and coached boys lacrosse at for three years. Larry would come to my practices asking if he would be able to play a game or two. I told him I was too afraid of him getting injured. Thankfully he agreed.

He is a nice kid. Has a great family (last I heard, his brother was redshirted this season at Marshall U.) His father is a sports columnist that I have known since my journalism school and sports writing days. Plus, his father is a Giants fan headache! :up:

Watching him in High School, I didn't think he had the speed to be a big time star. I mean, he would always get open somehow...and would constantly score touchdowns...but it didn't seem as if he had great speed. He worked his ass off though (training in the offseason). I think he learned a lot from Chris Carter and Randy Moss as a ball boy on the Vikings sidelines too.

Shows you what I know about talent. :der:

throw everyone else out... larry fitzgerald's lackluster 3 catch performance against the caines capped the heisman for the man, who on second thought, probably does deserve it in the first place. i believe fitzgerald is the best talent in all of college football, but it's hard to argue with someone who's thrown 40 touchdowns and just 6 INTs for an undefeated team... give jason white the heisman

c456.jpg

Last edited:
He's been tearing everyone up all season!

*coughfuckoffmiamicough*

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
throw everyone else out... larry fitzgerald's lackluster 3 catch performance against the caines capped the heisman for the man, who on second thought, probably does deserve it in the first place. i believe fitzgerald is the best talent in all of college football, but it's hard to argue with someone who's thrown 40 touchdowns and just 6 INTs for an undefeated team... give jason white the heisman

I would agree with you...BUT, would he be that good, say, playing for a team like, say, Illinois (I mention the Illini because I have had to suffer through the season here in Champaign...and know of the worthless offensive line, young running game and lack of decent receivers)?

I think it is easier to throw 40 touchdowns and just 6 INTs when you are surrouned by talent. :shrug:

With that...Larry SHOULD also be back next year for a chance at the Heisman (if he doesn't get it this year).

i agree with ya zoney... but the award goes to the most outstanding college football player... and white's season has been pretty damn outstanding. anyways... it's probably better off for fitzgerald's future that he doesn't win the heisman... more often than not the winner doesn't turn out to be a very good pro player...

2000 winner- chris weinke... 6th place, michael vick
t1_winner_ap-01.jpg
t1_vick_all-01.jpg

1999 winner- ron dayne... thid place- mike vick... 5th place- chad pennington
a_rondayne_i.jpg
a_pennington_i.jpg

1994 winner- rashaan salaam... 3rd place- steve mcnair
salaam.jpg
t1_mcnair_all_01.jpg

1993 winner- charlie ward... 3rd place... well... you get the picture...
act_charlie_ward.jpg
a_faulk_i.jpg

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
i agree with ya zoney... but the award goes to the most outstanding college football player... and white's season has been pretty damn outstanding. anyways... it's probably better off for fitzgerald's future that he doesn't win the heisman... more often than not the winner doesn't turn out to be a very good pro player...

2000 winner- chris weinke... 6th place, michael vick

Good point.

two side notes:

1) It was good to see Chris Weinke (a guy my age) win the Heisman. And....he is a Minnesotan (went to MY dad's HS :wink:).

2) Is Charlie Ward in the NBA? Do you think he would still be in the NFL?

if charlie ward had played 10 years later, he would have been drafted in the first 3 rounds. the stupid stigmatism against black quarterbacks has been lifted by the strong play of vick, mcnabb, mcnair and culpepper... so i think a guy who put up the numbers that charlie ward did would deffinetly get drafted. how long he'd last in the nfl at a mere 5'11"? who knows... doug flutie's proven time and again that height isn't an issue if you have the skills, but then again no one really ever gave doug flutie the chance he deserved.

and on a side note... as a fan of the knicks... i wish someone would've drafted him into the nfl... argh.

Last edited:
Mike Williams' one handed catch late in the 2nd quarter alone should have given him the Heisman. Is stickum still legal at USC?

that catch was awesome! what about sproles from kansas state? he's only run for 1948 yards.

all i know is that if Reggie Ball from GA Tech ends up winning the Heisman in the future, i will be kicking my ass for turning him down. :ohmy: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom