Heavy Metal Concerts Moved Off DISNEY Property

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bunbury

Refugee
reports that five heavy-metal concerts scheduled at House of Blues clubs on Walt Disney Co. property in Anaheim, California and Orlando, Florida have been hastily shifted to other venues or canceled recently, according to House of Blues web site calendars.

A Sept. 7 show featuring MACHINE HEAD, ARCH ENEMY, THROWDOWN and SANCTITY, booked two months earlier, was moved on two days' notice from the House of Blues in Anaheim's Downtown Disney entertainment complex to the Glass House in Pomona. Thursday's concert with CANNIBAL CORPSE, THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, THE RED CHORD and THE ABSENCE, originally slated for the Anaheim House of Blues, was moved to the Galaxy Theatre in Santa Ana. A Sept. 26 Anaheim House of Blues concert featuring OBITUARY, ALABAMA THUNDERPUSSY, FULL BLOWN CHAOS and HEMLOCK has been canceled outright.

At the House of Blues in Orlando, Fla., on Disney World property, a Sept. 17 concert of the MACHINE HEAD lineup has been moved to Club Firestone in downtown Orlando. The same action has been taken with the Oct. 11 CANNIBAL CORPSE package.

Asked about the scheduling changes, John Vlautin, vice president of communications for Live Nation (formerly Clear Channel), the concert-promotion organization that owns the nationwide House of Blues chain, issued a statement Thursday that said only: "House of Blues offers a range of entertainment to match the audience at our venues. It was determined that the mix of entertainment at our two Disney locations should be different from our other venues."

Vlautin declined to comment on why metal bands have been singled out after years of similar bookings or whether other metal events already scheduled, including SUFFOCATION, EDGUY and STATIC-X, will be affected.

Rob Doughty, communications vice president for Disneyland Resorts, declined to comment, referring inquiries to Vlautin. Paul McGuigan, concert promoter at the Anaheim House of Blues, also declined to comment through a club spokeswoman.

The Walt Disney Co., through Vlautin, issued a short statement Thursday that included no specifics about the shifts of the metal concerts: "In consultation with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, the House of Blues will provide a mix of entertainment for guests visiting Disney Resorts."

That's not cool. :mad:

It's ridiculous - A quick kid-drop off at Anaheim turned into a long-assed road trip to Pomona last week

If it were rap artists being moved away due to the lack of suitability with Downtown Disney clientele we'd hear a lot more about it

I_Hate_Disney.jpg

There was a whole article about it in the L.A. Times on Saturday. I was surprised to say the least. But then again, it's Disney :|

At least it spares heavy metal bands the indignity of playing at a Disney facility. I mean just imagine how embarrassing that has to be. :wink:

AngelofHarlem01 said:
Makes sense to me. Disney's family oriented, most heavy metal music isn't. Seems smart to move the concerts:shrug:

So why book them in there to begin with ?

Do you have any data showing metal fans cause more trouble or are more disruptive than any other crowd who comes out of a concert hall at midnight when most families have long departed anyway ???

AngelofHarlem01 said:

I don't know, they obviously didn't think it out very well. Probably some lack of communication between the head honchos at Disney and the booking agents at House of Blues.

HOB has been booking metal bands at the Anaheim location for years

It's just an arbitrary short-notice decision with not one of iota of thought, respect or courtesy given to the consumers

The Machine head show was rescheduled to somewhere 30 miles away with little more than a day's notice

toscano said:

So why book them in there to begin with ?

Do you have any data showing metal fans cause more trouble or are more disruptive than any other crowd who comes out of a concert hall at midnight when most families have long departed anyway ???

:lol: wow. no. i wasn't attacking metal fans or anything like that. hopefully you didn't take it that way.

I can understand why people are so sensitive about it and I probably would be to if they were bands I was excited to see but I can also understand the other side of the argument. I mean it's Disneyland, you don't expect to see bands with names like 'ALABAMA THUNDERPUSSY' or 'CANNIBAL CORPSE' playing there lol. I do however agree that if they were going to make a decision like that, that (a) they should've never booked the acts. (b) cancelled with much earlier notice. or (c) wait till after the metal shows were over as it wasn't fair to the bands or their fanbase.

AngelofHarlem01 said:

:lol: wow. no. i wasn't attacking metal fans or anything like that. hopefully you didn't take it that way.

I can understand why people are so sensitive about it and I probably would be to if they were bands I was excited to see but I can also understand the other side of the argument. I mean it's Disneyland, you don't expect to see bands with names like 'ALABAMA THUNDERPUSSY' or 'CANNIBAL CORPSE' playing there lol. I do however agree that if they were going to make a decision like that, that (a) they should've never booked the acts. (b) cancelled with much earlier notice. or (c) wait till after the metal shows were over as it wasn't fair to the bands or their fanbase.

But it's NOT Disneyland. It's Downtown Disney, restaurants, bars, clubs.....if you're there after midnight it's not because you're there to drink a milkshake on Main St. and get your photo taken with Mickey !

There are no huge billboards with the band names outside the HOB, and it's not like they're outdoors where anyone can hear them anyway.

But it's still associated with the Disney name. That's all I can think of. I don't know anything about Disneyland or it's surrounding areas so there's not much more I can offer than that. Perhaps enough people will be mad about it that they'll have to rethink their policies/actions etc. :)

AngelofHarlem01 said:
But it's still associated with the Disney name. That's all I can think of. I don't know anything about Disneyland or it's surrounding areas so there's not much more I can offer than that. Perhaps enough people will be mad about it that they'll have to rethink their policies/actions etc. :)

It's just ClearChannel, sorry, "livenation" crap.

One theory is that the Anti-Bush bent of Machine Head prompted it

"he also said he suspects that "one of the main issues of contention Disney had with Machine Head was our antiwar and anti-administration lyrics."

A sample lyric from the Bay Area quartet's current recording, "The Blackening," goes, "Murder us, silence us, / Divide and conquer us."

The veteran Cannibal Corpse, which headlines the touring Metal Blade Records bill that was removed from the Anaheim and Orlando House of Blues calendars, is known for its extreme album-cover artwork and death-obsessed lyrics such as "Pray to our God / With blood we praise his epic acts of hate," from last year's "Kill" collection. Many modern metal bands express an antiwar, anti-authority and/or anti-religion message.

John Halperin, talent booker for the Glass House, said Friday that the Machine Head show transferred to his venue came off to the satisfaction of bands and fans, despite the fact that it is an all-ages club where no alcohol is sold. "

AngelofHarlem01 said:
Makes sense to me. Disney's family oriented, most heavy metal music isn't. Seems smart to move the concerts:shrug:

You know it's funny how you say this because let me remind you disney raised lindsay lohan, and venessa hudgens (that now isnt in that great of a position to be in)

tpsreports2424 said:

You know it's funny how you say this because let me remind you disney raised lindsay lohan, and venessa hudgens (that now isnt in that great of a position to be in)

You mean Lohan and Hudgens don't have parents?

Is it the same size venue? Maybe metal is just a dying breed these days... Were they selling out the HOB?

I don't know. It's Disney and clearchannel, they always do some questionable shit.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Is it the same size venue? Maybe metal is just a dying breed these days... Were they selling out the HOB?

Metal a dying breed??? Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.

There's metal concerts in the L.A. area every other week.

Bunbury said:

[/QUOTE

Yeah, that was a pretty laughable one

I don't know about the rest of the country, but down here Metal is alive and healthy, and the HOB is always packed.

tpsreports2424 said:

:lol: yes let's blame Disney for someone's drug problems, that's great lol.

Last edited:
Bunbury said:

What assumption? Maybe you didn't notice that the sentence started with a "maybe".

I'm sure metal is alive and well for many, but the quality, or at least what's getting labeled as "metal" these days is definately on the decline.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What assumption? Maybe you didn't notice that the sentence started with a "maybe".

I'm sure metal is alive and well for many, but the quality, or at least what's getting labeled as "metal" these days is definately on the decline.

Saying maybe is an assumption.
Many of the metal bands that are being moved from Disney HOB are pretty underground and "quality." :wink:

Bunbury said:

Saying maybe is an assumption.
Really? Where I come from 'maybe' means it "might be", like it might be blue, but then again it could be green...

Maybe you just aren't used to it used that way. :wink:

Bunbury said:

Many of the metal bands that are being moved from Disney HOB are pretty underground and "quality." :wink:

I'm pretty far removed from the metal scene these days, but there was a time when I enjoyed quite a bit of it, and was actually thrown into several local scenes for awhile due to the fact that I was in a "hard rock" side project and we got lumped into venues with metal acts. I was quite appalled by what I saw; a lack of singers and a lack of talent. Now I know metal isn't for everyone, but it used to be that it took talent and it had some of the most underrated singers. But what I saw then and what I see now is that if you know a few power chords and can find a guy that can growl into a mic, you have a band.:| The Mike Pattons and even the Maynards are few and far between, everyone would just rather growl loud mumblings into a mic, they don't even know how to solo anymore... it's quite sad.

Back
Top Bottom