Heavy Metal Concerts Moved Off DISNEY Property - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 07:58 AM
Heavy Metal Concerts Moved Off DISNEY Property

reports that five heavy-metal concerts scheduled at House of Blues clubs on Walt Disney Co. property in Anaheim, California and Orlando, Florida have been hastily shifted to other venues or canceled recently, according to House of Blues web site calendars.

A Sept. 7 show featuring MACHINE HEAD, ARCH ENEMY, THROWDOWN and SANCTITY, booked two months earlier, was moved on two days' notice from the House of Blues in Anaheim's Downtown Disney entertainment complex to the Glass House in Pomona. Thursday's concert with CANNIBAL CORPSE, THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, THE RED CHORD and THE ABSENCE, originally slated for the Anaheim House of Blues, was moved to the Galaxy Theatre in Santa Ana. A Sept. 26 Anaheim House of Blues concert featuring OBITUARY, ALABAMA THUNDERPUSSY, FULL BLOWN CHAOS and HEMLOCK has been canceled outright.

At the House of Blues in Orlando, Fla., on Disney World property, a Sept. 17 concert of the MACHINE HEAD lineup has been moved to Club Firestone in downtown Orlando. The same action has been taken with the Oct. 11 CANNIBAL CORPSE package.

Asked about the scheduling changes, John Vlautin, vice president of communications for Live Nation (formerly Clear Channel), the concert-promotion organization that owns the nationwide House of Blues chain, issued a statement Thursday that said only: "House of Blues offers a range of entertainment to match the audience at our venues. It was determined that the mix of entertainment at our two Disney locations should be different from our other venues."

Vlautin declined to comment on why metal bands have been singled out after years of similar bookings or whether other metal events already scheduled, including SUFFOCATION, EDGUY and STATIC-X, will be affected.

Rob Doughty, communications vice president for Disneyland Resorts, declined to comment, referring inquiries to Vlautin. Paul McGuigan, concert promoter at the Anaheim House of Blues, also declined to comment through a club spokeswoman.

The Walt Disney Co., through Vlautin, issued a short statement Thursday that included no specifics about the shifts of the metal concerts: "In consultation with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, the House of Blues will provide a mix of entertainment for guests visiting Disney Resorts."

That's not cool.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 08:58 AM
It's ridiculous - A quick kid-drop off at Anaheim turned into a long-assed road trip to Pomona last week

If it were rap artists being moved away due to the lack of suitability with Downtown Disney clientele we'd hear a lot more about it

Old 09-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Makes sense to me. Disney's family oriented, most heavy metal music isn't. Seems smart to move the concerts
Old 09-16-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

There was a whole article about it in the L.A. Times on Saturday. I was surprised to say the least. But then again, it's Disney
Old 09-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:58 AM
At least it spares heavy metal bands the indignity of playing at a Disney facility. I mean just imagine how embarrassing that has to be.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
hehe, where you been bro?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Refugee

Why go through the trouble to book them to begin with??

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelofHarlem01
Makes sense to me. Disney's family oriented, most heavy metal music isn't. Seems smart to move the concerts
Old 09-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

That's what I was wondering Bunbury Metalhead's money ain't good enough for the MAN?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunbury

hehe, where you been bro?
Haven't had any time to post as I've been trying to figure out how Hammerfall thought this was a good idea for a music video.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunbury
Why go through the trouble to book them to begin with??
I don't know, they obviously didn't think it out very well. Probably some lack of communication between the head honchos at Disney and the booking agents at House of Blues.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

Haven't had any time to post as I've been trying to figure out how Hammerfall thought this was a good idea for a music video.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
So why book them in there to begin with ?

Do you have any data showing metal fans cause more trouble or are more disruptive than any other crowd who comes out of a concert hall at midnight when most families have long departed anyway ???
Old 09-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:

I don't know, they obviously didn't think it out very well. Probably some lack of communication between the head honchos at Disney and the booking agents at House of Blues.
HOB has been booking metal bands at the Anaheim location for years

It's just an arbitrary short-notice decision with not one of iota of thought, respect or courtesy given to the consumers

The Machine head show was rescheduled to somewhere 30 miles away with little more than a day's notice
Old 09-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

So why book them in there to begin with ?

Do you have any data showing metal fans cause more trouble or are more disruptive than any other crowd who comes out of a concert hall at midnight when most families have long departed anyway ???
wow. no. i wasn't attacking metal fans or anything like that. hopefully you didn't take it that way.

I can understand why people are so sensitive about it and I probably would be to if they were bands I was excited to see but I can also understand the other side of the argument. I mean it's Disneyland, you don't expect to see bands with names like 'ALABAMA THUNDERPUSSY' or 'CANNIBAL CORPSE' playing there lol. I do however agree that if they were going to make a decision like that, that (a) they should've never booked the acts. (b) cancelled with much earlier notice. or (c) wait till after the metal shows were over as it wasn't fair to the bands or their fanbase.