Heathen Chemistry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popkidu2

War Child
Finally have a chance to post this. The new OASIS album, Heathen Chemistry, in my opinion, is quite good. I know there are some OASIS haters here, but there are a few fans as well, so I figured I would post my thoughts on the album.

1. The Hindu Times

Reminds me a lot of Do You Know What I Mean from Be Here Now. Just a good rockin' tune. Not much else.

2. Force of Nature

This one is growing on me, but I still need time with it to decide how I feel.

3. Hung In A Bad Place

I had to laugh when I saw this title, but it's a good tune. Liam sneering at his best. Good bass and drums.

4. Stop Crying Your Heart Out

A little cliche' but a good tune. More of the same along the lines of Wonderwall etc. Should be a good single.

5. Songbird

ok, but nothing to write home about in my opinion

6. Little By Little

A great tune, in the same vein as their classic Acquiese. I love this tune.

7. A Quick Peep

OASIS does Pink Floyd?????? Anyone else notice this?

8. (Probably) All In The Mind

Not a very exciting tune, but a good melody line. I don't see this translating well live. Too mellow, but a good tune nonetheless. Good solo in this song.

9. She Is Love

In my opinion, the standout track on this album. It really is Noel at his finest. This song practically makes me cry it's so good.

10. Born On A Different Cloud

Another great song, written by Liam. This and Better Man are the two other standout tracks on the album. Shows his ability to write great tunes.

11. Better Man

I love this song as well. Great as a closer.

Overall, better than Be Here Now & Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants. OASIS doesn't claim to write groundbreaking music. But they write great songs, and this album proves it. I was a big fan of Standing... but this album is better. I wish they would turn it up like they did on Definately Maybe. I think they could rock a bit harder than they did on this album, but overall, I'm very pleased.

What do other OASIS fans think?

I tried to listen to this album at the listening station at Virgin Megastore the other day and it only played through one headphone. grrr. So I was not able to really hear it. I've never actually owned any Oasis nor am I familiar with their music, so my opinion wouldn't count for much anyways, I guess. lol.

i :heart: this album. i just listened to it on the way to work today. i don't think they've sounded this great in a while.

I absolutely love this album. However, it's a shame it had to be released in a year with the new Chili Peppers, Weezer, Silverchair, and Elvis Costello. They shoulda put it out last year, because the competition wouldn't have been as stiff. I think the above-mentioned albums are better than the new Oasis, but it does top releases this year from Counting Crows and Dave Matthews, 2 other bands that put out great albums this year. Oh, and let's not forget the Doves, and Bruce's new album that's coming out or is out, or Coldplay... this is a gooooooood year for music, despite the teeny-bopper radio infestation.

hhmmm...wrong "heathen"
I thought this was going to be a David Bowie's latest release appreciation thread.

..She Is Love is a definate highlight-am still enjoying the album but its missing that special spark..the thing I really miss is the arrogant and overblown approach of Be Here Now..am I the only one here who has this as #1? :D

sulawesigirl4 said:
I've never actually owned any Oasis nor am I familiar with their music, so my opinion wouldn't count for much anyways, I guess. lol.

sula, always worth getting a copy of What's The Story Morning Glory if you ever get a chance ;) arguably the best place to start if you want to get an idea

ACROB@T said:
..the thing I really miss is the arrogant and overblown approach of Be Here Now..am I the only one here who has this as #1? :D

Be Here Now is also my favorite Oasis album. It has a large sound that really makes you feel like this is a rock band that doesn't care about what anyone thinks. Great album.

As for Heathen Chemistry, I posted my own review here a while back when the album first came out. I think there are some real keepers here, expecially the slower songs like Stop Crying and Little by Little. She Is Love is great too, and incredibly catchy. Overall its a fine work, though I'm not sure yet where it ranks among Oasis in general. It isn't as brash as any of their previous work, but in terms of cohesiveness, this may just be their strongest.

If you're looking for something to get yourself into Oasis, definitely start with What's The Story Morning Glory. It has the most radio-friendly tunes, and it is the most mainstream album they have done by far.

i love heathen chemistry......fav song is defiantely little by little.......am going to see them in august and i can't wait.........YAY!!!!!!!!!

oops. I've had this album in my mp3 folder for over a month but I havent listened to it yet.

I can't get Born On A Different Cloud out of my head.....I like Little By Little except for the corny Pink Floyd-esque beginning....an overall awesome album that I'd recommend to my friends

little by little is easly the best track!
the album is tops, the thing is i am not a huge oasis fan so i can't realy compare with the other albums

i heard on the playground that they will be at the livid fesival in oz i am already quite looking foward to it!

zooshadow out-

about the latest album....its really quite good!!

Honest!

the Hindu Times, while its not gonna change the world, is a decent rocker, Hung In a Bad Place is a Great song, as is Force Of Nature(so very glad noels singin), the new single (Stop crying Your Heart Out, Salome), i think is a great song!
I didnt think so much of Little By Little until i heard it at Witnness, they did a great version of it. ALL of Liams songs are better than Little James, and although that wouldnt be hard, they are actually good.

but what i never got was why Be Here Now and Standing On The Shoulder of Giants got such a bad reception. I mean obviously these records dont stand up to Definately Maybe or Morning Glory, but i never found them quite so bad as everyone made out.

I genuinely would play both albums nearly the whole way through! jesus i feel like i should be at an Oasis Anonymous meeting saying that!!

I happened upon them performing something from the new record on TV the other day and while the song was okay, I found their performance to be completely, utterly lacking in passion or even anything resembling warmth. They looked like miserable people bored with themselves. Maybe they were having an off day or are they always that boring onstage?

oasis = blargh

every song could be put on one album

they are in severe need of recreating themselves

I think they have basically one melody and they put it to different chord progressions

Also, they should write a song called "I want to be John Lennon"

Back
Top Bottom