Heath Ledger the new Joker!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slapnutz

Refugee
The ever reliable batman-on-film.com has just confirmed it.

http://batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

'Heath Ledger? It's TRUE
Author: Jett
Friday, July 21, 2006 - 8:26 AM PACIFIC TIME: I usually don't go out on a limb unless I have had something confirmed. Heath Ledger will be The Joker. From my BEST source:

"Nolan has been in secret talks with Ledger for some time....The fan favorites like Paul Bettany, Crispin Glover and your fave pick, Lachy Hulme, were just grist for the mill. Ledger will be playing The Joker. The offer was made last night, and it will be a done deal.

There you have it. Heath Ledger is The Joker.'

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand I'm sure he'll be better than Jack Nicholson who just played, well, Jack Nicholson in make-up. But on the other, I think the likes of Christopher Eccleston, Paul Bettany and Lachy Hulme would have been better suited to the role.

Here's a fan manip of Ledger...

heatsq3.jpg

Last edited:
mdw3935 said:
Ha! That was my initial reaction.

As demonstrated by the manip, he's certainly got the look but can he play the part? He must have had one hell of screentest to impress Nolan.

I would have chosen The father of Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future.

Queen Bee said:
Man, Paul Bettany would've been perfect as Joker.

Has he ever played someone who isn't a creepy pasty white guy?

silasthealbinota0.jpg

I would've loved Bettany too, but Heath Ledger is a good enough actor, I hope he pulls it off.

Last edited:
I've tried, but I just can't stand Heath Ledger. There's something about the way he plays his characters that just bugs me.

But I enjoyed Nolan's Batman Begins (even though I went into it thinking it would blow) and the Prestige looks mighty interesting, so I'll give it a chance.

man, what a complete CRAP choice.

Oh well, Christian Bale will own this movie as well, so it won't matter.

But man, that is a baffling choice.
Almost as bad as Hayden Christensen, I said almost!

U2DMfan said:
man, what a complete CRAP choice.

Oh well, Christian Bale will own this movie as well, so it won't matter.

But man, that is a baffling choice.
Almost as bad as Hayden Christensen, I said almost!
Nolan hasn't made a bad casting choice yet. I trust his judgement. I mean who would have believed the spendidly OTT Gary Oldman would make a great restrained Gordon, Cillian Murphy a villainous scene stealing psychiatrist, or even Robin Williams a creepy killer?.

Ledger must have put in an incredible performance during the screen test, if indeed this news is true.

Last edited:
U2dork said:
But I enjoyed Nolan's Batman Begins (even though I went into it thinking it would blow) and the Prestige looks mighty interesting, so I'll give it a chance.

This is exactly how I felt about Batman Begins. It was a very pleasant surprise. I dare say one of the best if not best super hero movies I have seen (Spiderman II is right there also).

Ledger does seem like an odd choice though. But I think it really depends on how they write the portrayal of the Joker character versus who is actually playing it. I thought how they did Scarecrow in the original was just about perfect and the actor playing Scarecrow wasnt that big of a factor (although he played it well IMO). So I will go into it with an open mind.

I'm assuming they are shooting for a summer 2008 release with this?

Blue Room said:

I'm assuming they are shooting for a summer 2008 release with this?
Yep, starts filming in January 2007 with a summer 2008 release. Seems it's going to be a very long shoot like the first. Nolan has also been given carte blanche after the success of the first one.

As for the Joker portrayal, I believe he's going to be more of a serial killer instead of the campy, overweight crime boss that Nicholson portrayed.

Back
Top Bottom