heartland girl's special moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
continuing the series of threads dedicated to those who've proven themselves to be valuable contributors to bang and clatter, i present you with...

"heartland girl's special moment".

the rule? 10 questions.

the answers? MAGICAL.

carrion.

----------

1. to those who've never really gotten into placebo (such as melon, though i'm quite certain he'd like them), name at least five songs they should immediately download.

2. five bands that are currently your most important/favourite?

3. top 10 songs of all time. there is no out clause in this question. there is no nothing. there is only an everything, and that everything is the 10 songs that i've demanded.

4. what will be the next "big thing", in your opinion?

5. if keane or the killers showed up at your door begging for food, would you pretend as if you didn't see them there?

6. what exactly does 'how to disappear completely' do to you? express yourself.

7. best concert you've attended? top 5?

8. is it important, in your opinion, for a band to always be pushing their own boundaries? what happens when they stop, such as what u2's done. is their music relevant any more, and do you find it interesting?

9. where do you get your music news, etc. from other than this message board and various other message boarders...i'm looking for websites.

10. which lead singer do you find most attractive? :sexywink:

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:
ok, seriously.

i don't want to have to wait all night for this.

Demanding little cuss, aren't you?

Zoomerang96 said:

at the time of that post, i had already waited two minutes.

:ohmy:

HeartlandGirl's in deep doodoo now!!!

lmjhitman said:
geez!! keep your shorts on!!

says YOU.

Not that I'm condoning a depantsing.

Stop undressing me vigorously with your mind already. That's not the point of this thread. Although don't be surprised if it shows up in HG's top ten depantsings.

:sexywink:

1. to those who've never really gotten into placebo (such as melon, though i'm quite certain he'd like them), name at least five songs they should immediately download.

Actually, melon is the one who indirectly introduced me to Placebo, back when he had his Brian Molko avatar. But you didn't ask about that, so on with the Placebo songs:

The Bitter End
Special Needs
Without You I'm Nothing
Special K
Peeping Tom
Nancy Boy
Every You Every Me

2. five bands that are currently your most important/favourite?

Placebo
Manic Street Preachers
Radiohead
Interpol
AFI

3. top 10 songs of all time. there is no out clause in this question. there is no nothing. there is only an everything, and that everything is the 10 songs that i've demanded.

1. How to Disappear Completely - Radiohead
2. Burger Queen - Placebo
3. Love Is Blindness - U2
4. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next - Manic Street Preachers
5. In Remote Part/Scottish Fiction - Idlewild
6. 6 to 8 - AFI
7. Cooling - Tori Amos
8. Special Needs - Placebo
9. Gorecki - Lamb
10. I've Seen It All - Bjork and Thom Yorke

4. what will be the next "big thing", in your opinion?

I'm gonna have to say that whatever new hip hop style emerges will probably be the next big thing for the general public. It's gone from gangsta, to big money/playa, to Eminem, to krunk. Whatever direction the genre goes will probably become the next phenomenon.

5. if keane or the killers showed up at your door begging for food, would you pretend as if you didn't see them there?

My answer will probably get me banned from ever participating in these 'special moments' in the future, but I gotta say, I wouldn't pretend. I would definitely scrounge up some food for both groups. I own both of their albums. I understand why both bands (and their fans) often rub people the wrong way, and I'm not saying either group is about to revolutionize the music scene, but they both have songs that I like listening to. Music doesn't always have to be original or weird or groundbreaking for me to enjoy it.

6. what exactly does 'how to disappear completely' do to you? express yourself.

'How to Disappear Completely' makes me ache. When I hear that song, I find myself longing for something, but I'm not sure what it is. I want to be enveloped by the music so that I cannnot hear anything else. When I'm listening to it, I could be carried off into oblivion and that would be just fine. Everything is right, and everything is wrong, with the world when I hear it.

7. best concert you've attended? top 5?

1. Placebo in Dallas, TX
It was such a pleasure getting to see my favorite band live. The setlist was incredible, and the band sounded phenomenal.

2. U2 in Dallas, TX, and the second Phoenix, AZ, show
I've seen them four times, but these two shows stand out to me for different reasons. The Dallas show was my second time seeing them. I was relaxed and knew what to expect so I enjoyed that show a lot more than my first U2 show. It was also not long after 9/11, so the vibe was intense. The second Phoenix show was wonderful because I was relaxed and because I got to attend the concert with u2popmofo. I wouldn't have met him if it weren't for our shared love of U2, so seeing them with him was really special. I also got my name on the big screen for texting my name to the ONE foundation, so that was an extra highlight of the evening.

3. Tori Amos in Oklahoma City on the Dew Drop Inn tour
Tori + Piano + Harpsichord + playing songs off 'Boys for Pele' was a damn fine way to see Tori Amos live for the first time

4. AFI in Tulsa, OK
This show was fun because the crowd was so crazy. Goth kids and moshers everywhere. The band rocked in ways I didn't know were possible.

Tie for 5th.
The Fiery Furnaces and The Shins in Salt Lake City, UT
I had a blast at this show. The FFs were just insane! And The Shins played a fantastic set. This was also the first show I ever attended with mofo, so that rocked.

and...

Interpol and Secret Machines in Tempe, AZ
Getting to see both of these bands on the same night was cool. The live show really sparked my love of Interpol.

8. is it important, in your opinion, for a band to always be pushing their own boundaries? what happens when they stop, such as what u2's done. is their music relevant any more, and do you find it interesting?

I absolutely love it when bands push themselves to the limits of what music they can make. I love it when bands get weird. That's a lot of why Kid A and Zooropa are my favorite Radiohead and U2 albums, respectively. On some levels, yes, I think it is important for bands to do this as much as they can. That's when the real genius of any band can truly emerge. And if the band is successful at it (and not just being out there for the sake of being out there), that's what can make a band legendary.

I do believe U2 have been playing it safe. I loved Pop, but I think the band were so maligned both critically and with the fans that they've been too scared to go out on a limb since then. I still think they make good songs, and I still find them interesting, but I think some of the relevance is lost when a band begins to settle or doesn't focus enough on making cohesive albums that continue to explore the depth of what they're capable of. That goes for all bands, not just U2.

9. where do you get your music news, etc. from other than this message board and various other message boarders...i'm looking for websites.

Prompted by mofo, I now regularly check Pitchfork, though I do take their reviews with a grain of salt. When I have time, I like going to Insound to see what they've got in the mp3 section and see what new stuff is coming out. I have definitely bought albums after hearing about a band on there. And though few people around interference will care, I spend a lot of time at Digitally Imported, where I listen to their chillout, trance, and DJ mix stations a lot. I hear about a lot of the trance music I buy by listening in on their site regularly. And not so much for music news, but I learn about new music in general by listening to my own radio station at LAUNCH. I have it set up where it recommends music from other listeners or according to what I already have rated, and I've ended up buying albums because of random songs my station has played for me. There are other radio stations and sites too, listed below. The majority of my music news, however, comes from mofo and b&c, in that order.

So here ya go, for those who need or want them:
www.pitchforkmedia.com
www.insound.com
www.digitallyimported.net
www.launch.yahoo.com
www.virginradio.co.uk
www.globalbeatz.net
www.progressive-sounds.com

10. which lead singer do you find most attractive? :sexywink:

Brian Molko of Placebo. He's prettier than most anyone, guy or girl, that I know.

Re: Re: heartland girl's special moment

HeartlandGirl said:

Actually, melon is the one who indirectly introduced me to Placebo, back when he had his Brian Molko avatar. But you didn't ask about that, so on with the Placebo songs:

The Bitter End
Special Needs
Without You I'm Nothing
Special K
Peeping Tom
Nancy Boy
Every You Every Me

Placebo
Manic Street Preachers
Radiohead
Interpol
AFI

[/b]

6. 6 to 8 - AFI
7. Cooling - Tori Amos
9. Gorecki - Lamb

[/b]

I'm gonna have to say that whatever new hip hop style emerges will probably be the next big thing for the general public. It's gone from gangsta, to big money/playa, to Eminem, to krunk. Whatever direction the genre goes will probably become the next phenomenon.

[/b]

My answer will probably get me banned from ever participating in these 'special moments' in the future, but I gotta say, I wouldn't pretend. I would definitely scrounge up some food for both groups. I own both of their albums. I understand why both bands (and their fans) often rub people the wrong way, and I'm not saying either group is about to revolutionize the music scene, but they both have songs that I like listening to. Music doesn't always have to be original or weird or groundbreaking for me to enjoy it.

[/b]

'How to Disappear Completely' makes me ache. When I hear that song, I find myself longing for something, but I'm not sure what it is. I want to be enveloped by the music so that I cannnot hear anything else. When I'm listening to it, I could be carried off into oblivion and that would be just fine. Everything is right, and everything is wrong, with the world when I hear it.

[/b]

1. Placebo in Dallas, TX
It was such a pleasure getting to see my favorite band live. The setlist was incredible, and the band sounded phenomenal.

2. U2 in Dallas, TX, and the second Phoenix, AZ, show
I've seen them four times, but these two shows stand out to me for different reasons. The Dallas show was my second time seeing them. I was relaxed and knew what to expect so I enjoyed that show a lot more than my first U2 show. It was also not long after 9/11, so the vibe was intense. The second Phoenix show was wonderful because I was relaxed and because I got to attend the concert with u2popmofo. I wouldn't have met him if it weren't for our shared love of U2, so seeing them with him was really special. I also got my name on the big screen for texting my name to the ONE foundation, so that was an extra highlight of the evening.

3. Tori Amos in Oklahoma City on the Dew Drop Inn tour
Tori + Piano + Harpsichord + playing songs off 'Boys for Pele' was a damn fine way to see Tori Amos live for the first time

4. AFI in Tulsa, OK
This show was fun because the crowd was so crazy. Goth kids and moshers everywhere. The band rocked in ways I didn't know were possible.

Tie for 5th.
The Fiery Furnaces and The Shins in Salt Lake City, UT
I had a blast at this show. The FFs were just insane! And The Shins played a fantastic set. This was also the first show I ever attended with mofo, so that rocked.

and...

Interpol and Secret Machines in Tempe, AZ
Getting to see both of these bands on the same night was cool. The live show really sparked my love of Interpol.

[/b]

I absolutely love it when bands push themselves to the limits of what music they can make. I love it when bands get weird. That's a lot of why Kid A and Zooropa are my favorite Radiohead and U2 albums, respectively. On some levels, yes, I think it is important for bands to do this as much as they can. That's when the real genius of any band can truly emerge. And if the band is successful at it (and not just being out there for the sake of being out there), that's what can make a band legendary.

I do believe U2 have been playing it safe. I loved Pop, but I think the band were so maligned both critically and with the fans that they've been too scared to go out on a limb since then. I still think they make good songs, and I still find them interesting, but I think some of the relevance is lost when a band begins to settle or doesn't focus enough on making cohesive albums that continue to explore the depth of what they're capable of. That goes for all bands, not just U2.

[/b]

Prompted by mofo, I now regularly check Pitchfork, though I do take their reviews with a grain of salt. When I have time, I like going to Insound to see what they've got in the mp3 section and see what new stuff is coming out. I have definitely bought albums after hearing about a band on there. And though few people around interference will care, I spend a lot of time at Digitally Imported, where I listen to their chillout, trance, and DJ mix stations a lot. I hear about a lot of the trance music I buy by listening in on their site regularly. And not so much for music news, but I learn about new music in general by listening to my own radio station at LAUNCH. I have it set up where it recommends music from other listeners or according to what I already have rated, and I've ended up buying albums because of random songs my station has played for me. There are other radio stations and sites too, listed below. The majority of my music news, however, comes from mofo and b&c, in that order.

So here ya go, for those who need or want them:
www.pitchforkmedia.com
www.insound.com
www.digitallyimported.net
www.launch.yahoo.com
www.virginradio.co.uk
www.globalbeatz.net
www.progressive-sounds.com

Brian Molko of Placebo. He's prettier than most anyone, guy or girl, that I know. [/B]

really nice work there.

but the remark about melon was a 7oke. :sexywink:

thanks for taking the time to answer!

HeartlandGirl said:
[/b]'How to Disappear Completely' makes me ache. When I hear that song, I find myself longing for something, but I'm not sure what it is. I want to be enveloped by the music so that I cannnot hear anything else. When I'm listening to it, I could be carried off into oblivion and that would be just fine. Everything is right, and everything is wrong, with the world when I hear it. [/b] [/B]

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

:up:

i'm playing AFI (the days of the phoenix)...coincidence? i think not. or something...actualy, it was purely concidental that i'm in this thread and the song is playing. but i dedicate it to you and mofo.

HeartlandGirl said:
6. 6 to 8 - AFI
7. Cooling - Tori Amos
9. Gorecki - Lamb

This list gave me a music-boner.

Wait, I probably shouldnt have just written that for everyone to read and know.

Oh well, it did.

:wink:

Great responses and questions. :up:

HeartlandGirl said:

It is definitely one of the most tragically beautiful songs. Its something I never thought mankind could create. Radiohead creates a world you want to be in, destroy and pity at the same time. When I started working full time about a year and a half ago during a very snowy and gray January I made the mistake of listening to Kid A on the busride to work and this song devestated me everytime. It made the first two months of my economic slavery hell but I'm better because of it. Excellent choice as best song.

u2popmofo said:
This list gave me a music-boner.

That's bang on man.

Bang on.

:up:

As always, good insight zsa zsa. Have you heard Robert Plant's new album?

:sexywink:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: heartland girl's special moment

financeguy said:

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Thanks. :)

I'm glad some of you took the time to read all of that. Even mofo, who says he already knew all the answers. :wink: It was fun. :up:

IWB, I listened to AFI today too, including 'Days of the Phoenix' twice, before seeing your post in this thread. Coincidence? :wink:

Cu7o, I have not heard the new album. I hope this doesn't adversely affect my Z squared status. :|

~Z to the iz-S, S to the iz-A

:applaud:

I love what you said about How to Disappear Completely. That song carries me away. I never tire of it.

This thread makes me feel like :dancing:

Back
Top Bottom