he seemed to be the only one who believed in himself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
we_perks_watches.jpg

very few people believed in craig perks to pull off the victory at tpc. but he did so in a stunning and convincing fashion, topping the strongest field that we have seen this year.

after capturing the lead and needing only a bogey to take the tourney, the importance of the caddy in golf was highlited. perks right-hand man stepped in and convinced the kiwi that the out he was tempted to attempt was likely to have a disastrous outcome. i'd put money down that if perks had gone the direction he was leaning, i'd still be watching a playoff(memories of jean van de velde).

overall the golf tournament wasn't pretty. the course is, without a doubt, a difficult one(anyone who has hit into an island green understands the psychological pressure that this can put on your whole round, especially in competition). but the number of putts under 5 foot that were missed was almost comical. it definetely belied the tours slogan 'these guys are good' cause, aside from perks and ames(who were both shaky at times), no one did anything close to dazzle the whole weekend.

i would also like to take this opportunity to say that johnny miller proved himself to be incomptent with his asinine comments during the NBC telecast.

i would also like to take this opportunity to express my sadness that only person is likely to respond to this thread now with the untimely departure of *******
frown.gif
no matter which side you stand on his dismissal he will be missed.(everyone is welcome, though only 1 other remaining member has proven themselves a fan
wink.gif
)

------------------
pssst: gravity pushes.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i would also like to take this opportunity to say that johnny miller proved himself to be incomptent with his asinine comments during the NBC telecast.

Golf commentators have a tendency to same some pretty stupid things. They tend to be extremely conservative and always err on the side of caution. I saw Miller's comments. He was basically saying that Perks was an idiot for, I think, using a driver on the last hole with a 2 shot lead. Being a golfer myself, I can appreciate the risk of using the driver so I know where Miller is coming from.

Having said that, Miller proceeded to basically imply that the tournament was over and that Perks was not going win after he missed the fairway. For that comment, Miller did look like quite the incompetent fool.

well i was referring to miller's comments previous to the perks-18th hole events, but you are right that was quite comical.

That's Johnny for ya! I didn't mind WHAT he said, because I was thinking along the same lines. HOW he said it is another matter. He wasn't far off though, because if Perks doesn't hole that chip and leaves himself say, a 4-5 footer for the title it would have been interesting.

Ive always wondered about how difficult sawgrass really is- it prolly has the widest range of winning scores of any event played at the same venue, even moreso than the masters. Within the course of 5 years, Greg Norman won the event with a score of -24 (1994), and David Duval won with -3 (1999)! I guess water makes it a diabolical layout in the wind, and i agree with kobe...golfers get somewhat nervous even when theyve got a creek to hit over. I was delighted to see Perks win the event, mainly cos its the kick up the bum alot of aussie golfers need right now...to me it seems they are really struggling to 'grab the moment' in a tournament when it arrives- including robert allenby, who was a shot off the lead i think when he started the back 9 sunday...

and yes im glad i can reply to this thread!

Originally posted by brettig:
Ive always wondered about how difficult sawgrass really is- it prolly has the widest range of winning scores of any event played at the same venue, even moreso than the masters. Within the course of 5 years, Greg Norman won the event with a score of -24 (1994), and David Duval won with -3 (1999)! I guess water makes it a diabolical layout in the wind, and i agree with kobe...golfers get somewhat nervous even when theyve got a creek to hit over. I was delighted to see Perks win the event, mainly cos its the kick up the bum alot of aussie golfers need right now...to me it seems they are really struggling to 'grab the moment' in a tournament when it arrives- including robert allenby, who was a shot off the lead i think when he started the back 9 sunday...

and yes im glad i can reply to this thread!

I think wind contributes to scores ballooning more than anything else on the PGA tour. water, sand, rough can all be avoided to an extent. Mother nature cannot.

True, but water penalises more seriously than rough or sand...hence all those 6-7-8 type holes u can get at the tpc...incredibly when Norman won in 94 he made only one bogey in 72 holes...

well i was referring to miller's comments previous to the perks-18th hole events, but you are right that was quite comical.

I think anyone making such statements.. 'Referring to the 18th Hole Ones' need only refer to Van De Velde at the British Open a few years back.. To give credence to such statements..

I missed that final round up until the birdie on 17.. But I'm still awaiting McCord's Return to Augusta.. Hahaha.. I can dream can't I?

L.Unplugged

Originally posted by brettig:
Bring back McCord!

I love listening to his commentary! Watson was such a jerk for getting him excluded from Masters' coverage. And McCord, proving himself the bigger man, never said anything negative towards "Tom Terrific" about the incident.

And if you take away his humor, he still would be more interesting to listen to than most of the idiots in the booths. He is extremely knowledgable about the game.

The only time I thought he went over the line was in Phoenix in the late 1980s. He happened to be covering an easy par 4 that was being beaten up by the entire field. He remarked that "putts are falling like parts off of airplanes here at the 14th". This during a tme when airlines were having problems with planes falling apart midflight, causing a few accidents. *ouch*

[This message has been edited by Clark W. Griswold, Jr (edited 04-02-2002).]

'Woah oh uh oh...there are some bodybags down there if it keeps goin!'

'These greens are absolutely just like glass, i dont think they cut em i think they use bikini wax on em!'

-Gary McCord

Back
Top Bottom