HBO's "John Adams" mini-series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never have the patience to sit thru "mini-series" shows. I don't know if I'll watch or not. Just not enough hours in the day :sigh:

I think we need more on the so-called

founding fathers

but, I do think Hanks

will approach this with the same "deification" that so much of our history is too full of

I want the whole story

"warts" (perhaps more so) and all

I agree, deep. I'm looking forward to it more for its entertainment purpose than historical accuracy. I love a good mini-series.

I wish I had HBO.

deep said:
I think we need more on the so-called

founding fathers

but, I do think Hanks

will approach this with the same "deification" that so much of our history is too full of

I want the whole story

"warts" (perhaps more so) and all

I agree.

joyfulgirl said:
I agree, deep. I'm looking forward to it more for its entertainment purpose than historical accuracy. I love a good mini-series.

The Times review this morning commented on how the series was strong on the history, and weak on actual story.

This is maybe the first time I wish I had HBO. But I think it's on too late in the evening anyway.

I watched the 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee' series and I've got to be brutally honest, it was viciously overrated.

I don't have much hope for this one.

U2DMfan said:
I watched the 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee' series and I've got to be brutally honest, it was viciously overrated.

I don't have much hope for this one.

that was terrible slop

I would rather have watched a documentary

or read a book

deep said:

that was terrible slop

I would rather have watched a documentary

or read a book

Agree. Wounded Knee was awful. I didn't make it to the end.

But the John Adams series has a great cast and mostly really good reviews. I think it could be worth checking out.

^ :lol:

Paul Giamatti is annoying, unfortunately. The lead shouldn't be that annoying.

Laura Linney is lovely.

The set is amazing.

I like the actor playing Thomas Jefferson, Stephen Dillane, a lot.

David Morse is trying hard to be a humble yet regal Washington but comes across like cardboard.

Apparently the fun begins next week in France.

Good Sunday night entertainment. I'm in.

joyfulgirl said:
^ :lol:

Paul Giamatti is annoying, unfortunately. The lead shouldn't be that annoying.

Laura Linney is lovely.

The set is amazing.

I like the actor playing Thomas Jefferson, Stephen Dillane, a lot.

David Morse is trying hard to be a humble yet regal Washington but comes across like cardboard.

Apparently the fun begins next week in France.

Good Sunday night entertainment. I'm in.

I made my self watch the first hour

Giamatti who does good work

is just wrong here

hard to watch when he is the lead

I am very familiar with the story of adams defending and getting the soldiers acquitted (many may not be)

so the milking of that story annoyed me

also, some of the gimmicky camera angels were annoying me too

this is a device I expect from a young director, when it is more about style than substance. there should be plenty of substance in this story

unfortunately, this is what I expected from Hanks

he does not have a sure hand in film making at all.

because I have HBO and on demand I can catch this anytime

my concern it that even with other good actors and sets,

it will just go flat when Giamatti hits the screen

Anyways, if you are looking for some quality television on Sundays

you should check out

Braeking Bad (it is filmed in N M)

on AMC

they just started rerunning the first season last night

there are only 8 episodes

any of them are twice as good as the first hour of Adams

I watched last night

I enjoyed it! I wish the language were toned down so I could use it in a classroom.

That said - the book was better than what I have seen on TV.

I love the job the woman playing Abigail is doing.

Did he hate his youngest son or what?

LOL

Dreadsox said:

Did he hate his youngest son or what?

LOL

I read that the daughter was the favorite of both of them. She died young of breast cancer and I read about this as part of a history of how breast cancer has been treated, and the daughter's ordeal was quite, quite horrifying. I'll spare you the details since it nearly made me ill when I read it.

Anyway, I thought part 2 was better than part 1. I enjoyed the debates at the Colonial Congress, and got a wee bit verklempt when the Declaration of Independence was read publicly--which probably had less to do with the quality of the show than with what those words mean to me.

Did I mention Jefferson's hot?

I'm a history geek and my local cable service is having a free HBO preview this weekend, so I'm hoping to catch some of this. I've been interested in John Adams since my elementary school social studies teacher showed us the movie "1776" in class years ago.

I love that they shot most of the movie around here even though it's supposed to take place in MA :shifty:

I don't get HBO so unfortunately I can't watch it...I'll probably catch it when it comes out on DVD.

U2democrat said:
I love that they shot most of the movie around here even though it's supposed to take place in MA :shifty:

I don't get HBO so unfortunately I can't watch it...I'll probably catch it when it comes out on DVD.
Or if your anything like me the nearest bittorent ;)

U2democrat said:

They just shot an Iraq movie, "The Brothers," here in New Mexico.

just saw the last episode.. what a wonderful, insightful mini series! HBO you did again.. Giamatti was just great.. love that guy..
well done in all facets, details were amazing..they truly stayed true to what is in the history books.. I learned even more from this. I loved the insight on Jefferson and Adam's relationship. I don't remember reading about what they went thru.. At odds with each other for years.. But true friends to the end. Also that they both died within hours of each other..

i'm catching up and am still some episodes behind, but i find it fascinating. the look and lighting, in particular, are really quite extraordinary, and i find Giamatti quite good -- Adams was, i think, kind of an asshole, and that quality is coming across.

on the whole, slow, ponderous, well made, well acted, and only a touch of pandering here and there. a great series. :up:

Originally posted by Irvine511 and i find Giamatti quite good -- Adams was, i think, kind of an asshole, and that quality is coming across.

on the whole, slow, ponderous, well made, well acted, and only a touch of pandering here and there. a great series. :up: [/B]

Giamatti really grew on me, or grew into the role, I'm not sure which, but I ended up really liking him. Adams may have been kind of an asshole but he also had an amazing self-awareness that made him less of an asshole.

I loved the series and I'm sad it's over.

Now I want one on Jefferson. With that actor who I thought was fantastic.

I became obsessed with everyone's bad teeth. I really appreciate teeth now. :D

joyfulgirl said:

I became obsessed with everyone's bad teeth. I really appreciate teeth now. :D

yeah the teeth thing got to me too... ugh.. abigail's (laura linney) teeth were black.. omg.. :yuck: Now that is attention to detail that if you saw this on primetime tv networks they would not account for. Amongst other things I am sure.. The actors would all probably have pure white teeth while dressed for that period. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom