Hawaii anyone? (please help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So I had planned a trip to Hawaii.

I was to visit Maui and Kauai.

Now I find out that there will be construction on the hotel I will be staying at in Kauai so I am thinking about altering my plans.

I am thinking about going to Kona (Big Island) instead, but I need advice from people if they have been to these two islands. I guess my questions are as follows:

1. What is there to do on the Big Island?
2. What is there to do on Kauai?
3. Which is the 'better' island to go to?
4. Is Kauai worth still going to even though there will be construction, or should I follow through and make reservations on the Big Island?

Any general advice/places I should see/eat at/dive into are also very much appreciated.

Yours,

I've only been to Maui, so can't help with your decision, but some things we enjoyed on Maui:

If you have a car, drive the "Road to Hana", many places rent you these audiotapes and maps. You drive around to the less built up side of the island, stopping at various spots to see waterfalls and other natural attractions. There is a point where you are instructed to turn around and return the route you came. We did not, and drove the full circle, where the roads are not all paved and quite narrow, got a bit dicey after dark, but there were some very interesting sites there as well, apparently there are about 7 subclimates on the island, ranging from rain forest to desert.

Lahaina area is good for shopping and some decent retaurants.(And for the tourist in us all they have Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise, The Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., Hard Rock Cafe and Planet Hollywood in this area). We ate one night at a place called something like "Lahaina Fish Co." which had good seafood. We also went to a very good gourmet style restaurant on another area of island, but can't remember the name, if the wife remembers I'll post it later.

We did a snorkelling trip which was fun, though water was a bit rough in first place we stopped, and saw no turtles in the second place, which was named "Turtle Cove". (A misnomer on that day).

Other things to do include bike down a volcano (we chose not to as they pick you up at your hotel at like 2AM), but we did drive up to the peak of the volcano (name escapes me at moment).

Just stay away from the helicoptor tours.

oh yeah how could i forget about the snorkeling. that was amazing. i did that on the big island. wow i can't remember the name of the place because it was back in 1995 when i went there. :der: all i remember is that it was in an old volcano crater that has filled up with ocean water. one of the most enjoyable things i have ever done. i also enjoyed walking on the black sand beaches. :yes:

Kauai is a quieter island in terms of activities. Some good sight seeing (by boat or helicopter).

Maui or Kona have far more activities. There are some pretty nice resorts on Kona too.

I've been to Kuai, but not the other islands. It's absolutely lovely. Not the place to go to if you want any city life. It's very green and tranquil....you can go for long drives up to the top of the hill and see a fabulous view....wander through leafy forests...etc. Good snorkelling too. Also, we took a helicopter ride where they have falls and where they filmed that TV show whose name escapes me...the "de plane!" one.

Originally posted by Hewson
Other things to do include bike down a volcano ...

I did this a few years ago and it was fantastic. The road up Mt. Haleakala is fairly wide and banked because there is a NASA observatory at the top. The ride down is wonderful with beautiful views and only, like, 200 yards of actual pedaling. Just watch out for the cows grazing at the side of the road! I was right behind my grandfather when one ran out into the road right in front of him. He hit the cow, fell, and skinned his knee. He had his revenge by ordering steak and eggs for breakfast at a cafe down the road.

If at all possible stay away from Honolulu. It's ridiculously busy in season, although when is Hawaii out of season?

I'd also recommend the active volcano excursion... leave early though.

:up:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
it is always nice to walk down the street in Honolulu with your mother and father and see prostitutes soliciting their services in full swing. :down:

True, but it's never nice to walk down the street in Honolulu with your prostitute and see your mother and father soliciting their services in full swing, or so Cujo tells me :up: :wink:

Hawaii anyone? I thought you were asking us to go.....and I was gonna say "yesh indeed mate"!!
I haven't been there, but my friend did ( quite a few years ago now) and all she raved on about when she got home is they should start a Harley Davidson importing business. I suppose that was operating in Australian dollars and you just want to go there and relax, not do business. ( I could make a bad joke there...but I'll behave) Have you thought about the Solomon Islands...holidaying there I mean?
So I'll just leave shall I? no use whatsoever :D
have fun musiclover/ Mr & Mrs ouizy
**cass throws rice, leis the bride and groom and sings the Hawaiian Wedding Song**

I'll just leave shall I?

I've been to the Big Island and Oahu and loved both.

Volcanoes national park was great...we took a day long ride all the way around the island...the drive was beautiful through the different terrain...the beautiful ocean views, the pineapple fields, sugar cane fields, etc. We also stopped at the Dole pineapple plant which was interesting to tour, and had some delicious fresh pineapple. I just loved driving around the big island stopping at little towns and out of the way spots. We also had lunch at the Parker Ranch, which was nice and relaxing and historic http://www.parkerranch.com/...they had the best tea! (at least back when I was there! lol) I think the drive was about 7 hours or so all the way around the island...I know we did it in one day. There also used to be beautiful black sand beaches, but I think they were destroyed by volcanic erruptions a few years ago, but there may be some new ones or others that we didn't visit - I know the one that we were at near the town of Kalapana was destroyed and so was the town. There are places where you can drive where the lava literally covers the road and the road stops. It was interesting walking right up to the cooled lava where the road was blocked off.

One thing I've always wanted to do on the Big Island is go to Mauna Kea, and see the Telescopes there. It is high altitude though, so you have to be careful if you do go. At the summit elevation of 13,796 feet (4,200 m), Here's the website: http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/

If you have the time and money, it's just a short plane ride over to Oahu from the big island. Honolulu on the island of Oahu was where we spent most of our time. It was great too, going to the beaches, Waikiki Beach, diamond head, going to the USS Arizona memorial, and Hanauma Bay was my favorite spot! The water was so clear. Even just standing in 3 feet of water, the beautiful fishes would come and swim between your legs. They had snorkeling available there too but we just swam. The Polynesian Cultural Center is a must too. We went there for a luau and show. http://www.polynesia.com

I haven't been to any of the other islands. Some of the things might have changed too since it's been about 10 years ago or so that I was there.

MAUI*****

I have been to Maui...working trip while taking care of what used to be my best friend in the world's parents (in-laws). I still have my tour plan book as a matter of fact...I absolutley loved it there...beautiful sand beaches..scenic sunsets..14 weddings a day in the little cathedral outside of my window and I got to spend the day in the Presidential suite with Kay looking at the same scene of the orchid tiled pool that lists in their postcard (have lots of 35mm shots of that scene) when we weren't lounging by the pool in sun hats sipping ice cream beverages.

The road to Hana...wow..one laner all the way with pullouts but the scenery is absolutley beautiful. Of course since half of our party was afraid of heights we only got to watch it on the tv in the Grand Wailea (which as far as I am concerned is a 4 star resort). If I ever get to go back there I have to do this one.

There was an advertised helicopter ride of the north shore I would have loved to have taken if I had been with someone that would leave the ground on anything but a United flight with a few bloody marys. (this one too..it takes you up by the waterfalls)

Lahaina
Cheeseburgers-in-paradise pppbbbffft......but a street over there is a great thai food restaraunt that treats you like you own the place...great for touristy shopping and sight seeing day. The little mall next to the Grand Wailea..better place to find your duds...they had "jams"wear on sale and it is so great..soft and machine washable..my favorite shirt as a matter of fact. and the local grocer..great to find stuff to restock your beverage bar with...lmao....for less ( I changed their beers to my favorite micro brews...roflmao)

Near Lahaina in the Bay
..>Navatek II whale watching...this was pretty cool...beverages provided for thw tour day on board and make sure to bring plenty of film for the splashing tail shots of the whales and the dolphins as they run along side of the boat..(it was a neat craft tht filled with air like a big pontoon)...and the tee shirts are really cool.

Haliakala Volcano> we got to 5600 feet elevation and you could literally see for fifty miles off the curves of the switchbacks. What a breathtaking view. You can take a tour that starts at 7 am to the top in a bus and bicycle down it the day and only have to pedal about 50 feet. I recommend asking if the driver of your car is afraid of heights before she and her mother in law turn white..hyperventhilate and try to hurl while talking like auctioneers as you are taking pictures of the scenery. The drive back down was a lot of fun though knowing that fact...lol..(I am soooo bad)

The spa at Grand Wailea...this....is a treat well worth any cash you have...just get pampered and massaged etc. for the day and get soooo sooooooft. (was my birthday gift :) early)

The tavern in the Grand Wailea...this is a great place to sit while all of the oriental tourists take pictures of the blonde bimbo (me at the time)....like they have never seen an american.

Humuhumunukunukuapuaha (state fish)...this is an absolute must for the surf and turf meal..they serve you on a turkey platter and there is no way you could manage to finish the wonderful fresh grilled fruits and vegetables alonside a wonderful lobster and huge bloody steak...(had to add that one since MY party forbid me to take a doggy bag from any meal and I WANTED TO) I LOVE SEAFOOD!!!!!!!!!

There is also a great little cove that local snorkelers go to just off the coast...you can see them all out there from the rooms...lol.

I am sooo jealous of the thought that anyone is going there!!!!!

We did Kauai for our honeymoon and spent our last day in Honolulu. Are you setting up your honeymoon here?

The construction might be a bit of a drag, but there is alot to do on Kauai if you like outdoor things. We picked up a great guidebook before we left, "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook" by Doughty and Friedman, has lots of maps to remote beaches, hidden waterfalls, etc. We were there for 6 days and we still didn't get to explore everything we wanted to.

Spent our last day in Honolulu, NOT what I was expecting for Hawaii. We didn't venture past the city, but it was just one big city like most others on the mainland, I was not very impressed. Very crowded too...

Back
Top Bottom