Have you joined the One campaign?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clifedge

War Child
I joined a few months and I'm really surprised how many people ask about the white wristband.

I joined a while back, but just the other day I found someone my age (21) who's honestly never heard of it before. I can understand not caring or not joinging, but to never have heard of it?....was she living under a rock?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I joined a while back, but just the other day I found someone my age (21) who's honestly never heard of it before. I can understand not caring or not joinging, but to never have heard of it?....was she living under a rock?

I'm 21 too, and most of the friends I've told about it actually haven't heard of it either. I'm actually surprised that most of the people you talk to HAVE heard of it. That's cool.

clifedge said:
I joined a few months and I'm really surprised how many people ask about the white wristband.

I know I joined but I can't remember if I joined before the Vancouver shows(April 28th & 29th) or not. I do remember wanting to get the ONE band before I went to the shows so I think maybe I had joined before the shows but I honestly can't remember. I know I've joined cause I get the e-mails all the time. I hear ya about peope asking what's with the white wrist band all the time. They think they're cool cause they're not Yellow(Live Strong cancer bands). When you explain what they're for they think they're even cooler knowing that there's an actual purpose to wearing them unlike other charity/cause wristbands where the sole purpose seems to be to show you've donated or supported the cause. the ONE bands are our visiual voice saying we want somthing done about the emergency in Africa not just to show we've given money to the cause. I guess that could be the intention of other wristbands as well but not to the same extent in my opinion. Having said that it doesn't make the Live Strong bands or other bands any less important. Just less effective in a sense.

Is there a purpose about buying the One wristband ? Sorry to ask, it's the first time I hear about it. Does it give money to a fundation or something ?

vervex said:
Is there a purpose about buying the One wristband ? Sorry to ask, it's the first time I hear about it. Does it give money to a fundation or something ?

From the One.org site:
4. What does the ONE campaign do with the money that is collected from the bands?

- All proceeds from the sale of ONE white bands go to the continued education and awareness building efforts of Americans on ONE campaign issues.

But proceeds are not the point. As u2democrat said, it's to raise awareness.

clifedge said:

I'm 21 too, and most of the friends I've told about it actually haven't heard of it either. I'm actually surprised that most of the people you talk to HAVE heard of it. That's cool.

Yeah, it's different here b/c I go to a small, private college, part of a Christian denomination whose relief organization is a partner of the ONE campaign. Everyone here is into, or at least hears about, social justice stuff like ONE and DATA.

Thanks Clifedge :)
Oh, America only ? Just too bad lol.
It's the 3rd time I edit that post, erf lol

Last edited:
vervex said:

It's to raise awarness and build a voice. It's "us" telling the governments of the world it's time to do somthing about what's happening to Africa and that we suport our governments giving money to help save Africa. And not only Africa but extreme poverty everywhere. Yes money from the bands goes to the cause but it's not the main purpose. The purpose is to spread the word and get others on board. People ask what the band is for and there's an actual answer to give. A compelling answer that opesn up conversation and makes people think. that's the difference between the ONE(white) bands and other bands. I don't wnat to come across as if I'm dissing the Live Strong(Yellow) bands because cancer is an extremely important issue and has affeted many lives but for all the times I've asked what those bands are for the best answer I have ever gotten was that "it's for cancer". It's a great cause but those bands are basically a donation, as is purchaseing a ONE band but the intentions of the ONE band are to rasie awareness and raise a voice of "the people" to say "hey government fix this problem, you have our support"

I believe that the ONE band is only in the United States where as everywhere else has makepovertyhistory bands which are also white. My band from Vancouver was a makepovertyhistory abnd and te one from New York was ONE

Last edited:

Yeah, it's different here b/c I go to a small, private college, part of a Christian denomination whose relief organization is a partner of the ONE campaign. Everyone here is into, or at least hears about, social justice stuff like ONE and DATA.

Where do you go to school? I go to a small private school too: Covenant College here in Lookout Mountain, GA.

vervex said:
Thanks Clifedge :)
Oh, America only ? Just too bad lol.
It's the 3rd time I edit that post, erf lol

:lol: Yeah I guess Canadians can join too.

Yes I joined long ago and I have been sporting my One wristband since the tour began.....I've given out about a dozen wristbands too, so I am doing my part to spread the word. :wink:

I joined at the beginning of the summer when my Danish pen pal sent me an e-mail from the ONE campaign and I bought the whiteband outside the Parken Stadium in Copenhagen before U2s concert.:cool:

and yep, i joined back in october when i saw u2 play in Philadelphia. i was impressed to hear many people asking questions, and having discussions about the cause, and seeming truly interested in it.

so, whenever i see someone from my area walk by with a ONE band.. i hold up my arm with mine on and give them the peace sign, heh. a little unspoken thing there.

I joined back in May and people ask about it quite often. When I explain it to them, they seem very interested. It always makes me happy to have someone ask about it and then actually listen to what it's all about.

Most of you know that I have been an active volunteer for ONE since it was founded in May 2004.

Here is the website, vervex, please click on this link and learn more about ONE and the white band.

http://www.one.org

In Canada, the white band is available through MakePovertyHistory.

http://www.makepovertyhistory.ca :yes:

I wear the ring and respond to the One Campaign emails. I'm also looking to get involved in some other way, as a volunteer at an event or something!

I'm looking for info on how to volunteer too. I guess it's on the site?

I joined a while ago, but I guess it's not really "official" because I don't have a writstband. How can I get one?

Should I like order one from the site?

I didn't realize you were 21, too :)

I joined the night I saw them live. As soon as we got settled with our seats I made a b-line for the table (the one that on the side of the East Igloo at Mellon Arena). I signed up, got a wristband and even signed the large white paper poster. :) I wear it pretty regularly. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom