Have you ever met any famous sports figures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
the title says it all. tell us who, if you have. :)

most of the people i've met were hockey people. i met Alex Tanguay when he played here for the Mooseheads. same with Brandon Reid and Ramzi Abid.

i've met Sidney Crosby when he played for his Bantam AAA team, and also twice since then, once when he played for his Major Midget team and another time recently when he was in town off from his Major Junior team. it helps that he's my stepbrother's cousin.

at the World Juniors in 2003 i met all of Team Canada from volunteering at the tournament, including Jordan Tootoo, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, et al.

at the World Women's in March, i also met all of Team Canada, some members of Team USA and Team Germany, and all of Team Switzerland. the Swiss girls were looking to trade their team clothing for some of our volunteer tournament clothing. so i gave them my t-shirt, and they gave me a Swiss Eishockey toque. so i went to a friend of mine who was also volunteering, and traded him the toque i got for his long-sleeved tournament t-shirt that the girls wanted so much. they didn't have anything left to trade me, so they invited me back to their hotel to pick something up. so we walked over to the Citadel hotel and i got a t-shirt signed by all the members of Team Switzerland. unfortunately, they signed it with a Crayola washable marker, and my mom decided to wash it one day. :(

at the world jr tournament, i met Scotty Bowman while he was taking a piss. i happened to saddle up next to him at the urinal without even noticing, and then he turned to me and asked me for directions to the Westin Nova Scotian hotel. him being Scotty Bowman, i couldn't refuse him directions. so once we had finished up, i showed him to where the Westin was and when he left, he shook my hand, signed one of his business cards, and gave me 20 dollars. :up:

I just ran into Ray Bourque on Saturday, he was doing a signing at a mall, we were shopping, walked by his table, said hello, he made a remark about my son's Christmas reindeer hat.
I met a few other former Bruins in bars back in the day, Alan Pederson, Lyndon Byers and a couple others.
Met Yaz way back when I was a young kid, don't remember much about it.
Also Luis Tiant, Sidney Wicks(though his level of fame is questionable), John Hannah and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

I've seen Michael Jordan on my TV loads.

Actually, no, no one very famous. I did meet the Singapore table tennis Olympic team, which was cool, except I don't really like table tennis.

I've met Joe Montana, Tony LaRussa, Will Clark, (former baseball player SF Giants and others) Ozzie Smith.

Those are the most well known ones...

Oh, and Shane Battier sat right in front of me at a baseball game.

Last edited:
Bo Ellis--Basketball player (Marquette University, 1974 - 1977; Devver Nuggets, 1977 - 80; Marquette Asst. Basket Ball Coach)

Bethany Hamilton--the 14 year surfer who's arm was bitten off by a shark

I have Walter Gretzky's autograph and I'm not afraid to show it.

Yes, Dennis Lillee, Kim Hughes, and Ricky thingie who used to play for the Wildcats. I used to play with Lucas Agrums when we were children. When he was shorter than me :|

Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Ted Williams
Johnny Damon
Curt Schilling
Dorothy Hamill
Antoine Walker-shook hands w/ him once before a game
and some more obscure ones, long ago, can't remember

joe dimaggio
karl malone
patrick ewing (twice)
sue bird (multiple times)
speedy claxton (worked with)
jeff van gundy (multiple times)
marcus camby
anthony mason
john starks
mike milbury
mark messier
wayne gretzky
david wells
tommy lasorda
dick vitale (three times)
herm edwards
bill parcells
other various current and former jets
boomer essiason
wesley walker (worked with)
marv albert
mike lupica (twice)
pat riley
rick barry
stephon marbury
stephen boyd (multiple times)
pat lafontaine
mick foley
jalen rose
various D1 basketball coaches (jay wright, tom pecora, bob mckillop, joe jones, mike jarvis)
craig biggio (multiple times)

:hmm: i think that's about it.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
joe dimaggio
karl malone
patrick ewing (twice)
sue bird (multiple times)
speedy claxton (worked with)
jeff van gundy (multiple times)
marcus camby
anthony mason
john starks
mike milbury
mark messier
wayne gretzky
david wells
tommy lasorda
dick vitale (three times)
herm edwards
bill parcells
boomer essiason
wesley walker (worked with)
marv albert
mike lupica (twice)
pat riley
rick barry
stephon marbury
stephen boyd (multiple times)
pat lafontaine
mick foley
jalen rose
various D1 basketball coaches (jay wright, tom pecora, bob mckillop, joe jones, mike jarvis)
craig biggio (multiple times)

:hmm: i think that's about it.

Being in the same city at the same time isn't the same as meeting them...we want specifics! :up:

I went to school with Ids Postma!

images

postma.jpg

I went clubbing with Travis Jervey, former running back for the Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers.

I met most of the 2003 New York Mets when i got "inside" access to the field, tunnels, bullpen, and dugout. got some autographs from piazza, Art Howe etc.

Len Dykstra, Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden.

Mr. BAW said:

Being in the same city at the same time isn't the same as meeting them...we want specifics! :up:

this could take a while...

Alrighty... when my sister was a grad assistant for the Sports Faciliites department at Hofstra University... they have many conventions, card shows, etc. there, as well as being the practice home of the New York Jets... thus she used to get me "backstage" and into a lot of these things, sometimes as a worker, sometimes just hangin' out... thus where i met these people...

joe dimaggio (twas a mean old shit)
pat riley
herm edwards
bill parcells

karl malone- met outside the nassau coliseum at a knicks preseason game

patrick ewing- met, ironicly, outside the fleet center in boston when i was in college, and was the guest speaker at a dinner i went to once

sue bird- born and raised on long island... graduated from high school in 1998... same year i did... used to run into her all the time at various aau things, basketball dinners, etc. etc.

speedy claxton (golden state warriors), drew nicholas (u of maryland), jay wright (head coach at villanova), tom pecora (head coach at hofstra), bob mckillop (head coach at davidson) all, at one time or another, have worked for LuHi summer programs on long island, where i work.

vinny testaverde's daughter was a camper @ LuHi and used to come and pick his daughter up after camp every day. i used to let him in and out the backdoor so that he wouldn't get swamped with autograph requests.

jeff van gundy- met at an nba summer league thing, used to stop by a lot of camps that i was a player at, then coach at, throughout the nyc area when he was an assistant coach, was born and raised in brockport, ny, and went to SUNY Brockport, where i went to school before i transfered... was a former brockport basketball player thus showed up at practice and events from time to time

mike jarvis- a good friend of mine, tim doyle, plays basketball for Northwestern... before he transfered to NW, he played a year for St. John's... the year they won the pre-season NIT. so i hung out with the entire team a few times, jarvis obviously being one of 'em. on a side note, half of that team is in jail now :shrug:

marcus camby, anthony mason, john starks- met at hoop it up tournament in manhattan

mike milbury- ran into at the coliseum when i was looking for a bathroom while tailgating for a pearl jam concert

mark messier, wayne gretzky- outside the ed sullivan theatre when they were both on letterman together a few years back

david wells- airport

tommy lasorda- italian resturant

dick vitale- once at the garden, once in boston, once at a lecture he gave at brockport when i was still a student there

boomer essiason- the former AD at the school i coach basketball, kings park, runs the "Outback Steakhouse Empire Challenge," a football game between the high school senior all stars from long island and new york city. the game is set up by the Boomer Essiason Foundation... thus boomer used to stop by the high school from time to time to go over details. i actually have boomer's cell phone number... i saw it in the AD's roladex and copied it down. i've only called it once... i was quite drunk and it was about 3 in the morning. i don't think i actually said anything though.

wesley walker is a teacher now in the kings park school district... the former all-pro now teaches elemntary phys ed.

marv albert- ran into him at the sheraton in manhattan.

mike lupica- ran into him at the same time i ran into marv, and ran into him another time when he was a speaker at a dinner

rick barry, stephon marbury- when i went to the pre-season NIT at the garden years back, georgia tech's team sat in the same section as me and my friends did... drew barry, jon and brent's brother who isn't in the nba, played for g-tech at the time and rick was there to see the game and came over to our section with drew

stephen boyd- former all-pro linebacker for the Lions... lives in long beach, ny now... where i go a drinkin' quite often. used to live down the the street from my sister's apartment.

pat lafontaine- i forget where i met him it was so long ago... all i know is that i have his autograph.

mick foley- lives a town over from me, and is a regular patron at the Gold's Gym in Smithtown, NY

jalen rose- met at the NBA store in manhattan

craig biggio- born and raised in kings park, ny... same as yours truely. met him many times over the year when he's come back for a visit.

whew... i think that's about it.

Was Mike Milbury going to the Pearl Jam concert?
And on that note, I suppose I could add Peter Gammons who I met at the Fleetcenter Box Office this past Sept 28 while I was picking up my 8th row PJ tix at will call and he one upped me by stepping to the next window to pick up his pass to head backstage then spend the concert on the side of the stage (with Theo Epstein and Tedy Bruschi), but I said hello to him briefly. Nice guy, big PJ fan.

Hewson said:
Was Mike Milbury going to the Pearl Jam concert?
And on that note, I suppose I could add Peter Gammons who I met at the Fleetcenter Box Office this past Sept 28 while I was picking up my 8th row PJ tix at will call and he one upped me by stepping to the next window to pick up his pass to head backstage then spend the concert on the side of the stage (with Theo Epstein and Tedy Bruschi), but I said hello to him briefly. Nice guy, big PJ fan.

don't think so... the islanders are such a top notch organization that i was able to get all the way into their office while looking for a pisser. and you wonder why they're a joke.

Mostly Australian Rugby league players, which thankfully no one here knows so I dont have to name them.
I was a ballgirl once for a celebrity charity tennis match and met Todd Woodbridge, Mark Woodforde, Jimmy Connors and some other guy.
And I got a shirt for handling their balls :up:

joe dimaggio (twas a mean old shit)
pat riley
herm edwards
bill parcells
karl malone-
speedy claxton (
vinny testaverde's daughter
jeff van gundy-
mike jarvis-
marcus camby, anthony mason, john starks- met at hoop it up tournament in manhattan
mike milbury-
mark messier, wayne gretzky-
david wells-
tommy lasorda
dick vitale-
boomer essiason-
marv albert-
mike lupica-
rick barry, stephon marbury-
stephen boyd-
pat lafontaine-
mick foley-
jalen rose-
craig biggio- born

who are they ? are they important.? .what do they play...ICE HOCKEY or American Football...Or BASE ball....

do they play well :wink:

i'm going to operate on the assumption that acroman was completly wasted while replying to your post.

british or not...

:wink:

Or maybe it was a genuine question. I have heard of joe dimaggio but thats it. I wouldnt know if the others played gridiron or darts. :huh:

I didnt say anything cause quite frankly I dont care bwahahahahahaha

but perhaps AcroSteve would like to know what sport they play.

Last edited:
All I've met are Avalanche players. Everyone else I know has met the whole NHL. :|

Let's see:

Adam Foote (very nice)
Ville Niminen (very sweet, very strange.)
Martin Skoula (twice, and I stood next to him at a practice once.)
Milan Hejduk
Radim Vrbata (my sister hit on him)
Adam Deadmarsh
David Aebischer
Alex Tanguay (also stood next to him at a practice)
Dan Hinote (extremely charming)
Rick Berry (jerk)
Shjon Podein

I think that's all. I have autographs from Peter Forsberg, Rob Blake, and Stephane Yelle but they were obtained by friends.

I met Lee Smith once, too. Eric Young apparently remembers me from his time in Colorado and always asks my dad how we are, but I don't remember ever meeting him. :der:

Back
Top Bottom