Have you ever met any famous sports figures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in one day back on may 11, 2001 (same day as a u2 show in minnesota)

me and three of my friends ran into and got autographs from:

K.G. - he's HUGE in person. has bodyguards too.

derek jeter, jorge pasada, and a few other new york yankees (who were staying in a hotel connected to the mall).

good times!

AcrobatMan said:

the current aussie cricket captain is Ponting :mad:

gilchrist is the vice captain who captains only when ponting in injured or something like that.. :)

Sorry, missed the "V" when typing :(

And surprisingly, I have heard of the cricketers you listed.

Also met Mark Occhilupo in Sydney last week (at the zoo...)

Mika Immonen - 2001 World Pool Champion from Finland (went out with him for 3 straight nights of drinking)

Efren Reyes - 1999 World Pool Champion (met at tournament and got autograph)

Ernie Els - former US and British Open Golf Champion (met at tournament and got autograph)

Frankie Minoza - Two-time Golf Asian Order Of Merit Winner (stayed in his place a couple of time)

John Daly - former British Open Golf Champion (followed him in an exhibition match, his caddie gave me his golf ball)

Harry Goatcher - Jet-ski champion from the early 1990's

There are a few others I have watched live in person but never actually met as in went up to and had a chat with for a while. They are mostly golfers. I have only watched one NBA game my entire life, Nets versus Cavs playoff game and Petrovic was still alive.

Cheers,

J

dont expect any Americans to know who i'm talking about (same way i dont know who youre talking about) but maybe some Aussies Kiwis and Englishmen will recognise a few names.

only mostly met South African sports people- durign the 95 World Cup i met pretty much the entire All Black, England and South African rugby teams. got to kick with Louis Koen on Newlands pitch, and catch balls for Jeff Wilson practicing when he was playing All Blacks. knew people who also used to let me in the changing room area after the games (not the actual changing rooms!) so used to get to chat with the players after the games.

over the course of the years I met a few other players too - Robbie Fleck, Butch James, Corne Crige, Breyton Paulse and used to be friends with Bob Skinstads housemates so spent a bit of time at their house getting drunk on his Guinness! Andre Vos (ex captain) lives in the same road as me here in the UK.

also know a few cricketers - knew Herschelle Gibbs quite well in SA and try catch up with him when he's here on tour, Gary Kirsten used to live next door to me and briefly met, Pollock and Jacques Kallis ,Jacques Rudolph and Mark Boucher.

Oh and i gave 2 All Black rugby players a lift home from the bar once - was really funny cause i drove a mini so theres these 2 huge rugby boys piled in the back of this tiny car - i could hardly get it up the hills!!!

pride and joy though - seeing Micheal Schumacher on the other side of the road!
what can i say, i'm a ferrari fan, sorry!

I've met a few, but there not worth listing (most of the Wizards and Redskins), but the one that is of course is Michael Jordan. Met him at a club in D.C....def. a cool man.

back in the early 90's, i used to go to trading card shows and i met Johnny Bench, Jerry Rice, Thurman Thomas :up:, Ronnie Lott, Joe Montana. I think I have all their autographs somewhere. :hmm:

Oh, and lets not forget Bill Russell, Mike Scoscia and Fernando Valenzuela at Dodger Stadium!

Doozer61 said:
back in the early 90's, i used to go to trading card shows and i met Johnny Bench, Jerry Rice, Thurman Thomas :up:, Ronnie Lott, Joe Montana. I think I have all their autographs somewhere. :hmm:

Oh, and lets not forget Bill Russell, Mike Scoscia and Fernando Valenzuela at Dodger Stadium!

I forgot...remember this?

"Hey Jack!"
Doozer asks, "Who's that?"
Mr. BAW, "its Jack Clark!

ps....Doozie was a Thurman (never win the big one) Thomas lover!! :eek:

I met Meadowlark Lemon at an airport back in the 70's..Also met Joe Montana at a sports memorabilia show in 2002...got his autograph:yes:

Back
Top Bottom