have you ever gave a speech????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yes, I've given plenty of speeches. Lucky for me, I have the gift of the gab. I took speech class and it was an easy A. It comes naturally to me, but I can give some tips.

1. Do not overquote. Nothing more boring than listening to someone "read" for ten minutes.

2. Keep your notes in bullets. Generally it is best not to "write" your speech if you can help it. By only writing down important points that you want to talk about it forces you to make the speech flow a bit more naturally, and again you won't be "reading" as much.

3. Vary your voice inflection. If you sound like a monotone everyone will fall asleep.

4. Consider your audience. I personally am not going to be worded exactly the same when I give a speech to my classmates as opposed to speeches I've made to the town council or board of education.

5. It's natural to be nervous. As good as I am, I still get nervous as hell before a speech. After a minute or two I reach my comfort zone, but the best thing to do, is channel the nervousness into positive energy.

Remember this major point:

The ears can only take as much as the ass can.

Don't have people sitting in their seats listening to you for too long, because the moment they get uncomfortable from sitting and listening, they're gone from paying attention to you.

U2democrat said:
i loooooooooove making speeches! :hyper:

it's the politician in me :wink:

yeah :)... I think that reading your blog.. you write very well. I always wanted to keep a journal or something like that but i can't write about anything :(... that's why i draw all the important things that happened to me :).

I've been reading bono's speech for the University of indiana... and wow... he's great, i mean, i wish i were him today :D and write a good thing.

the college will select a speech from the best students of each faculty. a part of me wants to win: my parents and my friends would be proud of me :) and I would show to the college that the arts faculty can do more than play soccer... but, for the other hand i don't want my speech to be selected cuz i would be really scared in front of so many people; i'm afraid of look ridiculous :(...

Hi Muggsy:

I don't mind giving speeches on something I am interested in.

One thing to note: if your speech does win, then remember that whoever picked it did so because they thought it was the best and have faith that you can deliver a good speech.

Short, simple, use language that is suited to your audience and enjoy yourself. I always completely understand your posts so you are selling yourself a little short on ability to be able to write something good.

Oh and just imagine if the B-man was there, then you'll be right.

Hope this helps.:)

Muggsy said:

yeah :)... I think that reading your blog.. you write very well. I always wanted to keep a journal or something like that but i can't write about anything :(... that's why i draw all the important things that happened to me :).

you read my blog? :happy: that makes me so happy!!!! i didn't think anyone did...

well now that i know a few people read it i'll post more often :D.

good luck in your speechwriting. when you first get up you'll certainly be nervous, but hopefully you'll get into a good groove and you'll do fine :up:

Dalton said:
Muggsy,

What do you want to write about? I can help you if you want. That's how I make my cashe.
ç

well.. i'm going to graduate as a graphic designer (arts faculty) and i will like to write from my experience with the arts and relate that with the whole academic life in the college...

we studied in a public college so we feel an especial comminment with the institution and the society. I will like to write about that, but I'm afraid to turn it in a cliché

:hmm: I would like to write about the meaning of the ceremony... about how we feel that we have the power of transform our future, and how we create our own identity living in college. about the teachers and our classmates.

"Good things, when short, are twice as good."

Pick one thing that is important to you, prepare an outline, condence it. Speak from the heart.

Back
Top Bottom