Have you ever been in a play?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I did drama all through school and used to go to drama workshops when I was younger. Ive since been a drama teacher but nothing beats being on stage.
I haven't done it for a long time and I'm too scared to go and try out at a local theatre.

I have done Australian plays like Summer of the Seventeeth Doll and Away.
I was in class written high school plays and I once played Dolly Parton's role in Nine To Five, where I had to seduce my boss by trying to lasso him(he was a she so it was not fun) :laugh:
I also was an orphan in the 3rd grade in Oliver and had one line haha
I would love to do the part of Helena in Midsummer Night's Dream or Abigail in The Crucible. I so wish I had the guts to go back and do it.

Anyone done any acting or played director, and behind the scenes roles?

Well, I'm fourteen and in Secondary 2 (I think the equivalent is eighth grade). Our school holds a drama festival every two years and I took part for the first time this year. Our play was an original on urbanisation and stuff but unfortunately while our script was good it was a bit too ambitious and we ended up with no prizes. Last year I landed the part of an extra in the drama club's production of Romeo and Juliet. Back in my primary school days I had parts in skits and sketches but they don't count for much. I still need to brush up on my acting though - I always have this irresisitible urge to giggle at the wrong time.

I used to run a drama group at school with a group of friends. We were fed up with the lack of Drama so we started our own group. We actually secured drama lessons for all the years, did a petition and everything, lol, them were the days.

As a drama group we toured the local jnr schools. That was fun. I remember some kids coming up after a performance and asking us for autographs, we were only about 13/14 ourselves! lol. Sadly we didn't make it to the west end.

I'd love to do some am dram again, did some community plays a while ago too.

"I am an actor /(stroke) tress, watch me as I parade around the room, not bumping into anyone or anything, especially the furniture"

lol

Jo

Our school did Bugsy Malone when I was 10 and I was a down and out :D :lol: :laugh: :laugh:

I've also been a rat in the Pied Piper of Hamlyn and a cat in the stable in the Nativity play, both when I was about 5 or 6.

As you can see I've had some pretty fantastic roles :laugh:

I once had to do Shylock's rant (you know the one, 'if you cut me, do I not bleed?' etc). Dunno if that counts as being in a play.

Oh yes, and we also had to do excerpts at school from the novel The Pigman. That was, er, fun. We even created a dream sequence, very Twin Peaks, and very irrelevant to the material at hand. Oh well.

I was the pompous mayor of Hamelin in a play about the Pied Piper, and Ive also played Mordcha the innkeeper in Fiddler On The Roof.

"Come on! Dance! its a vedding!"

There wasn't a lot of opportunities to get involved in drama while I was at my tiny boarding school. But the few plays we did have, I was in. When I came back to the U.S. I was pretty intimidated by the size of the drama department in my high school, so I only ever got the guts up to try out for one play, Little Women. Shockingly enough I got a role as Marmie and top billing. lmao. Twas a really fun experience. :D

I was a nun (soprano 1) in The Sound Of Music when I was a junior in high school (I think just about everybody here has seen the pic already!). :) It was probably one of the most fun things I did in high school!

I've been in 8 plays but my favorite roles were Flora Latham in "No, No, Nanette" and the secretary Grace in "Annie." Ok, so those ones are musicals, but they still count! :)

I :heart: the stage! I've been an actress most of my life.

I did Oliver and Gypsy twice when I was young, a bunch of stuff in jr. high and high school.

I was in every musical my college had for my last three years, including leading roles of Mrs. Johnstone in Blood Brothers and Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors. I miss it so much. Hopefully next year, I'll have the time to start auditioning again.

Yeah I was...but really amateur plays !
One time at a summer camp where we wrote our own screenplay. I played a lawyer.

The other plays were for some drama class in high school, but it was just excerpts from plays. I played Cyrano, and I also played Desdemona in in a excerpt from Othello. I had various other roles in plays that we wrote ourselves. It was fun !

I've always done behind the scenes stuff (stage managing, set design) - mostly in high school, some in college...I wish I had the courage to actually be on the stage! Definitely commend those of you who are brave enough! My place is backstage for sure :)

[color=royal blue]I've been in plays at school....Sound of Music, The Fantasticks, Annie.....

and the Senior Show....

In 8th grade I was such the little playwright though. For every group project we had, I'd be with my friends and we'd write plays. Luckily my "boyfriend" at the time (lol we were like 13...we were retarded....) would do anything I asked him to, so we always had at least one boy. I usually ended up being a man too though. :p Anyway my opus was my musical of Paul Revere. That was my MASTEPIECE. It was so cool. The British are coming.... we also did plays bc a lot of the time the assignment was to write another chapter to a book we had read in class.... and we did big productions.

DANG I miss that. Everyone always did what I said.

Anyway. Loveth the stage.
[/color]

I was in some plays and musicals when I was in junior high and high school. Nothing after that. I was Little Nell in a in a melodrama. "Oh, Snidley!"

We had a Reporatory Choir in high school and we put on a combination play/dinner event. That was really fun. We got to dress up like Royalty from back in the Renaissance days and had a roast pig brought in on a big platter. Lots of pomp and circumstance.

i was never in them per se. wrote a few though...

my contributions to the drama department generally came behind scenes, playing in the pit orchestra. i played fore "bye, bye birdie" and "guys and dolls" and i wouldn't have traded either experiece for anything.

I just remembered being in a Shakespeare spoof skit...my class wrote it, and it sucked soooooooooo bad. I was a dancer at a party, and the whole thing was lame, so I started doing all this really funny stuff and dancing with every character I could...*lol*...everybody told me after I was the best part...I think the leads were a little pissed at me though.

This is plainly for your amusement Manda, cos I'm sure I'll never hear the end of it, maybe it'll get rid of the other tag you have for me:p

Yeah, I played the lead role when I was like 11 in the comedy version of Cinderella, I forget the name of the play. Basically, I was one of the ugly sisters:no: They were the leads in this version, so there! :wink: Yeah, I was a woman once............mothers skirt, blouse, high heels, man, I felt like a woman, doo doo dooodoooo doo doodooo! Apparently we brought the house down:eyebrow:

That was my one and only stage effort, I went into hiding after that:lol:

I loved being involved in the plays/musicals at school ...

My debut, of which I am most proud, was as the spider in "The Incy Weency Spider" in kindergarten. I was a star.

I've been in all of two plays, both in junior high. I was a cowboy outlaw's sidekick in one (won best supporting actor for that one! :D), and a goody two-shoes gangster in another. Peaseblossom knows all about that one :).

I was actually just in our High School production of Hart and Kaufman's "You Can't Take It With You", I played Mr Kirby. Theatre is soooo much fun. I love it! Earlier in the year I was in the show my senior drama class put on, I played some guy in a car with his girlfriend pretending he wasn't lost. The script was a bit annoying at times, but it was good fun!

I wish I had tried out for Annie when my school put it on, that's one of my larger regrets.

For drama class one year I did a monologue of Walk To The Water. That was pretty cool.

In elementary school (I went to a rather arty non-public school) I was the lead character in Christopher Fry's The Lady's Not For Burning in grade 8, and the year before that I was Malvolio in 12th Night.

I must say I do like theatre.

When I was a little cub, 3rd grade I think, we had our yearly Christmas play. I was chosen as one of 3 Kings to happen upon baby Jesus. It was a small part but an important one.

What is signifigant is that it was during the time that my mother was almost dead from lopus, in the hospital on her "deathbed". My dad still had to work at GM and still be a father to us and try to fill in for mom too.

He really couldn't afford to buy a King's costume, or did he have the time to go look for one anyway. He actually got out mom's old sewing machine and spare linen material and made me a purple and white robes of a king, with glitter on the belt and head pieces (crowns). FOr all I can remember the damn crown may have been one of those burger king crowns, but the costume ruled!

All of the mothers couldn't believe my dad had done this. My costume was better than some of their crappy ones. The only glaring oversight was that it was a little too short and you could see my cowboy boots underneath it while everybody else had sandals!

I was in Snow White as a kid. I played her lady in waiting who didn't really exist, I mean why would an abused girl have 7 little ladies in waiting? To give parts to little girls who join the Children's theatre!

Diemen said:
I've been in all of two plays, both in junior high. I was a cowboy outlaw's sidekick in one (won best supporting actor for that one! :D), and a goody two-shoes gangster in another. Peaseblossom knows all about that one :).

Obsolutely, I was his moll. I got to scream a lot and get carried off stage.

I was in two shows in High School:

I was the mayor of Sweet Apple, Ohio in Bye Bye Birdie and was casted for a part in Grease but had to give it up do to family issues. I was an extra in the show instead.

Go geased lightning......

I think the end of year schoolconcert and play may well have been my favourite part of primary school. I was also lucky to have a brilliant Sunday school teacher who had emigrated from England and brought her pantomime scripts with her. Each Christmas we'd rehearse a new one,it was so much fun. We did Sleeping Beauty, Dick Wittington and His Cat, Cinderella hmmm that's all I can recall. I wish they had video cameras back then. My mum used to play the piano and make all the costumes. My sister always got to be the princess and I was things like a slave or a footman or a horse or some such....teehee.
Not quite the acting you had in mind maybe Amanda, but you've brought back some fond memories for some of us.
I hope you join a theatre group or audition.
:angel: the little king in the cowboy boots awwww
:up:to Mr zedge for getting out the sewing machine.

Back
Top Bottom