Have we talked about Notwist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
I dunno if maybe everyone has already been willfully converted, but their new album Neon Golden is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Very catchy, lovely singing, amazing blend of subtle electronics and organic instruments that sound strangely more organic than anything else.

Anyway, the album definately counts as the best thing to happen to me in the last week.

It's rather difficult to come across, not too much promotion behind it, but nonetheless... the critcs seem to like it. According to metacritic.com it is the 3rd most highly critically acclaimed album of the year.

Popmatters:
Neon Golden is one of the most exquisite electronic albums to come out in ages.

Dot Music:
A unique and beautiful work that will be returned to again and again. Definitely, already, an album of the year.

Splendid:
The Notwist can sculpt more emotional sounds and music into a compact and cutting four minutes than most can do in a career.

Drawer B:
Every single song is an hummable masterpiece of pop experimentation.

Dusted Magazine:
With Neon Golden, the Notwist have created a daring album full of different sounds and textures. While this might sound like a textbook post-rock album, it is without a doubt a record firmly anchored by its pop sensibilities.

Pitchfork:
A decade into their career, the Notwist have created a masterpiece by pulling the same trick they pulled on Shrink: mixing things that might not seem to fit together into a beautiful, seamless whole.

I recommend the songs Consequence, Trashing Days, Picking up the Phone, and Pilot.

You can't go wrong here... and I love these lyrics a lot:

You're the colour, you're the movement and the spin.
Could it stay with me the whole day long.
Fail with consequence, lose with eloquence and smile.
I'm not in this movie, I'm not in this song.
Never
Leave me paralyzed, love.
Leave me hypnotized, love.

But seriously folks, these guys are goooood. I'm just waiting for the related threads box when i post this to see if they have come up in conversation here before.

yay!

I sent two songs on it to a friend, and she ordered the album online the next day

I just found out that the Canadian version has 3 extra tracks... that = exciting
!!!

they're only instrumentals though. I really enjoy the dudes voice, reminds me a lot of royksopp. The lichter EP is very nice, minimal almost classical sounding compositions. I haven't given Shrink much of a listen, but it's probably quite good as well. I just can't get over the fact that they used to be a heavy metal band :p

its not up my friend, I no longer work for the isp I had that free space with, so.....it all went away a couple weeks ago, you should have luck on soulseek though....

I find it most amusing that they used to be a heavy metal band

My favourite song of the last week is Trashing Days, it's brilliant.

What's your fav song on the album, EP and Digi since you are the only people on the forum who give any inclination of liking them. Because of that I am going to award you some sort of prize, but I'm still working out the details.

I've downloaded one of their songs: 'One With the Freaks'

I like it. I plan on downloading more.

I've downloaded one of their songs.
I plan on downloading more.

I hate 2003 me.

One of the old Bang and Clatter crew's favorite electronic artists are finally releasing another album tomorrow, 'The Devil, You + Me'. I'm quite excited for it. I've only heard one song so far, 'Good Lies', and it seems nice.

'Neon Golden' truly has become one of my favorites of the 00's. Every bit the catchy indie electronic classic that everyone gives the Postal Service record props for being. Songs like 'Pick Up the Phone', 'Pilot', 'One With the Freaks', 'Consequence', and 'One Step Inside Doesn't Mean You'll Understand' are classics for me. I highly, highly, highly recommend that album to any who haven't heard it but are interested.

If you've never heard them before, here's a nice little video of one of their most popular songs:
Pick Up the Phone

EDIT: After making this post, I looked up and the advertisement at the top of the page was for the new Notwist album. lolzorz

I forgive you mofo to bring to life dead people, I mean... posts, just because is a Notwist one

"The Devil, You + Me" it's beautiful, "On Planets Off" is even better than "Pick Up the Phone"

one of my highlights of the year :yes: 2008 rocks so far

I forgive you mofo to bring to life dead people, I mean... posts, just because is a Notwist one

This picture is extremely blasphemous, but it always makes me laugh, and your post reminded me of it....

resurrected.jpg

Glad to hear the album's good! I was scared no one would even reply to the thread. I miss the old times. :(

I really really enjoyed watching and listening to that video for Pick up the Phone that you posted, U2popmofo. :up:

I might have to check out some more of their stuff later.

I've fallen in love again with Neon Golden this year
had just forgotten ho wgood it was and then a month or 2 ago I just couldnt stop playing

so I'll definitely check out the new one :up:

"On Planets Off" is even better than "Pick Up the Phone"

Listening to that song right now. Seems very cool! The music almost feels like it could be on the new Portishead album. Sweet.

I might have to check out some more of their stuff later.

DO IT

I've fallen in love again with Neon Golden this year
had just forgotten ho wgood it was and then a month or 2 ago I just couldnt stop playing

so I'll definitely check out the new one :up:

:hi5:

I've been trying to get into Neon Golden for years, now. Sadly, I don't think that it's going to happen, at this point. I say that honestly, too--descriptions of this record lead me to believe that I should really, really, really love it, but it just don't pan out, when I, you know, actually sit down and spin the mo'fucker. Sigh. :shrug:

This picture is extremely blasphemous, but it always makes me laugh, and your post reminded me of it....

resurrected.jpg

Glad to hear the album's good! I was scared no one would even reply to the thread. I miss the old times. :(

LOL, I'm going to steal that picture...

a friend of mine thinks this is the best album of the year so far (a tie with M83's new one), I don't think so, but it is good definitely

Listening to that song right now. Seems very cool! The music almost feels like it could be on the new Portishead album. Sweet.

I didn't see that coming! but it might be true

What great timing, The Notwist return, and so do I! I love the new record by the way, early favorites include....

Good Lies
Gloomy Planets
Gravity....

Kick ass!:up:

The Notwist:

07-03-06 Roskilde, Denmark - Roskilde Festival
07-15 Feldkirch, Austria - Poolbar
07-16 Turin, Italy - Spaziale
07-17 Freiburg, Germany - Jazzhaus
07-18 Dour, Belgium - Dour Festival
07-19 Graefenhainichen, Germany - Melt! Festival
07-22 Ferrara, Italy - Sotto le Stelle