Have we had a "Wilco are SELLOUTS" thread yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
onozomg.gif

Oh, that's beautiful. Mesmerizing .....

"Sellout" doesn't have much meaning in this day and age where you can't rely on radio or MTV to get your stuff out there.

I don't think any less of Wilco for doing this. Why should I? Why should anybody?

Pfft. You just wanted attention.

If not, you would have posted this in the existing Wilco thread. :wink:

corianderstem said:
Pfft. You just wanted attention.

If not, you would have posted this in the existing Wilco thread. :wink:

Nah, I just didn't want to read the WHOLE thread.

I do, however, find it funny that if this were done by a band like Pearl (u2) Jam, many on this board would be up in arms . . . or at least tapping their key board with malice in their hearts.

Dalton said:

Nah, I just didn't want to read the WHOLE thread.

I do, however, find it funny that if this were done by a band like Pearl (u2) Jam, many on this board would be up in arms . . . or at least tapping their key board with malice in their hearts.

go check out a wilco messageboard, ive heard theres been plenty of freaking out about this on them

I just commented about this in the Wilco thread.

I think deals like this are great for bands like Wilco, because it exposes their music to a wider audience that would not really hear it. Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, or U2 doing iPod commercials are one thing, they've all firmly established themselves as popular artists, while Wilco has not.

That being said, I wish more people listened to Wilco. It's a shame, really.

It's a board where there are messages. Post-it notes, perhaps. Smoke signals.

You know, that sort of thing.

I AM AN EFF-BEE-EYE AGENT!

(I know Keanu said it, but that's what makes it funny.)

corianderstem said:
I thought you were Patrick Swayze!

:ohmy:

I am one with the land ...

swayze.jpg

Jed Eckert: [in the mountains] Matt and I have been coming up to these mountains with our dad our whole lives. We can hunt, we can fish, we can stay up here a long, long time.
Robert: How long, Jed?
[fighters and bombers pass overhead]
Jed Eckert: [indicating the jets above them] Until we don't hear *that* no more.

Road House is the best Chuck Norris movie Chuck never did.

The Swayze still owns it, though.

Red Dawn is probably one of my favorite Anti-Communist movies of the '80s.

Well, that and Rocky IV.

o departed children. . //. . have you forsaken the initial thread topic already¿

sky blue sky is not an album which makes me think of expensive automobiles. i am not enamoured by the notion, but i feel little resentment. i do find it hypocritical that the people who besmirched U2 for the iPod advertisement have been strangely silent on this issue. Must U2 be held to higher standards?

LemonMacPhisto said:

I think deals like this are great for bands like Wilco, because it exposes their music to a wider audience that would not really hear it. Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, or U2 doing iPod commercials are one thing, they've all firmly established themselves as popular artists, while Wilco has not.

Sure, but aren't Dylan, McCartney, and U2 trying to reach an audience they wouldn't otherwise? I don't blame Wilco for trying to broaden their audience, but I don't see how what U2 and the others you mentioned are doing is any different... they don't necessarily get a lot of radio play these days. Many kids don't listen to their music anymore, and we all know how important it is for U2 especially to be "relevant" (meaning having a fanbase that includes those wacky hip teenagers)

also, the other day I met the only person in the world who has no idea who Paul McCartney is. Yes, such a person exists. She works at Starbucks in the Indianapolis airport. Go find her. )//shemustknowthetruth10101010

You do bring up good points, but I think the iPod commercials are catering more to kids/teens/young adults demographic while VW commercials seem to be the usual 18-34 demographic, the group of people who would probably respond to Wilco the most.

LemonMacPhisto said:
You do bring up good points, but I think the iPod commercials are catering more to kids/teens/young adults demographic while VW commercials seem to be the usual 18-34 demographic, the group of people who would probably respond to Wilco the most.

right ... so either way (oh, i sure hope you caught that pun), the bands are reaching out to people who may not have been exposed to their music, but have the potential to enjoy it.

the thing I like about the iPod ads is they're pretty much advertising the music itself... that's why the idea of the car commercial doesn't appeal to me as much. But it doesn't really bother me either, especially since the band said they like VWs. At least they're endorsing a product they actually use :shrug:

Radio is dead, and music TV has been hijacked by reality shows, pop and hip hop. There's really no place for a band like Wilco to be heard. I guess TV commercials are the new radio. :shrug:

I'm not crazy about the idea of associating music I like with a product, but I can't fault Wilco either. Things have changed and if the old ways of getting your music heard don't work anymore you have to keep moving with the times. According to the article, Wilco are in very good company with VW. I'm sure they struggled with the decision and as far I'm concerned, their integrity is still fully intact. It's an economical, fuel-efficient car, too. :up:

Back
Top Bottom