Haunting Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
I've been listening to Michael's Hutchence's solo album, and I'm at the last track..."Slide Away" done by him and Bono...and that song just haunts me to the bone.

What songs do that for you?

yah that ones def creepy. Lots of MDH soundtrack has a haunting beauty. Its even a bit more haunting since i've been there , it has a creepy memory. and I'd have to say Sigur ros is beautifully haunting as well.

I dont listen to scary haunting stuff i guess.

climbing up the walls, radiohead.

mdh is kinda creep in a different way, i agree. i never knew you were there ali, thats cool.

what kind of creepy? there's nine inch nails "closer" hardcore creepy...there's the creepy gavin friday/maurice something-or-other music that happens at the beginning of "the boxer"...there's sad chilling like "mothers of the disappeared"...then there's sometimes-all-around-dark-creepy of live's secret samadhi album...

"slide away" is creepy...i don't really remember how it sounds, cos i lost the tape it was on...but it's good...that's all i remember...

Kristen Hersh and Michael Stipe have this song.

I think it is called - Your ghost
it is on her cd. It is other-worldly.

Also, Vic Chesnut's - Supernatual

Last edited:
"One" from U2 always disturbs me because it cuts so close to the bone for me. Also, "Elvis Presley and America" really does me in.

"1000 Oceans" by Tori Amos also makes me very :sad:

AcrobatMan said:
EXIT- U2..

manytimes when i was about to sleep..i could hear that song...

i used to wake up..close the windows and make sure the doors was locked..

i think it is a haunting song ..you all can disagree

i agree. that song is creepy. the guitar comes in and it's really scary, like the end of the world or something...

-"Precious Things" and "Girl" by Tori Amos

-"Vox", "Fear", "Gloomy Sunday" by Sarah McLachlan

Oh, and a lot more, like Elbow songs (but I :heart: creepy, haunting songs).

"Exit" is creepy, I agree.

So is "Miss Sarajevo", now that I know what it's about.

"Love Is Blindness" is also very haunting-that's possibly U2's most haunting song, in my opinion (but I love that song), as is "Mothers Of The Disappeared".

Some other songs that are haunting: "Nights In White Satin" by the Moody Blues-more so for the music than anything else, "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam, "One" by Metallica (considering what it's about...and the video just adds to that).

Angela

yeah "love is blindness" it's so beautifully haunting though...something about "acrobat"...like the swirling guitar stuff...they sound liek they're swirling to me anyway...

a lot of passengers creeps me out. like "corpse" which i think is kinda cool, but mostly creeps out bad, not good creeps out...

i avoid metallica and can't for the life of me remember "one"..what's is about?

jeremy is kinda chilling when you think about it...same with the whole alive/once/footsteps...i love pearl jam

"Angelene" by PJ Harvey comes to mind, from "Is This Desire?" album.

Also, from the same album, "My Beautiful Leah", which is one of the most chilling and depressing songs I've ever heard.

Never leaves my mind
The last words she said
"If I don't find it this time
Then I'm better off dead..."

Bonochick said:
I've been listening to Michael's Hutchence's solo album, and I'm at the last track..."Slide Away" done by him and Bono...and that song just haunts me to the bone.

What songs do that for you?

I started to get teary the first time I heard that song. Too bad Bono couldn't catch him(Michael H) when he heard his call. :tsk:

"I would catch you
I'd catch you as you fall
I would catch you
I'd catch you if I heard your call

But you tore a hole in space like a dark star falls from grace
You burn across the sky and I'd find you wings to fly
And I would catch you
And I would catch your fall"

Metallica's "One" deals with the true story of this guy who lost his arms, legs, and face in the Vietnam War (I believe that's the one). I can't remember if he stepped on a landmine or if a bomb exploded right in front of him. And he's laying there in a bed-the only way he can communicate is by Morse Code by beating his head against the headboard of his bed, and in the video, he keeps saying "S.O.S."-he wants someone to just put him out of his misery. And at the end of the video, he's laying there all alone and all you hear is "S.O.S....help me...", and now every time I hear that song I think of that story and the end of that video and it's just creepy.

Couple of other songs to add:

Time In A Bottle-Jim Croce (especially the music at the end)-it's just eerie to know this song was recorded not long before he died when you listen to the lyrics.
Sounds Of Silence-Simon & Garfunkel

And there was another one I'd thought of last night, but I forget what it was right now.

Angela

bonosgirl84 said:
passengers..."miss sarajevo"

ooooooooohhhh! i wish bono would do some more w pavarotti...

actually i?m just lissenin to electrical strom again... its become one of my fav u2 songs.

the chords are so beautiful.

damn, i?m just lissenin it again... thru a fine cd player, over mixer, in great headphones... oh gawd!!!

maximum volume.

evryone will excuse me if i don?t feel that haunted at the moment...

oh there are so many songs that haunt me! hmmm, i?d start with some blues, like "hellhound on my trail". robert johnson is special.

Last edited:
motion picture soundtrack and morning bell off of kid a by radiohead.

thom described morning bell as "theres absolute dispair, then theres this."

:|

Moonlit_Angel said:
Metallica's "One" deals with the true story of this guy who lost his arms, legs, and face in the Vietnam War (I believe that's the one). I can't remember if he stepped on a landmine or if a bomb exploded right in front of him. And he's laying there in a bed-the only way he can communicate is by Morse Code by beating his head against the headboard of his bed, and in the video, he keeps saying "S.O.S."-he wants someone to just put him out of his misery. And at the end of the video, he's laying there all alone and all you hear is "S.O.S....help me...", and now every time I hear that song I think of that story and the end of that video and it's just creepy.

Couple of other songs to add:

Time In A Bottle-Jim Croce (especially the music at the end)-it's just eerie to know this song was recorded not long before he died when you listen to the lyrics.
Sounds Of Silence-Simon & Garfunkel

And there was another one I'd thought of last night, but I forget what it was right now.

Angela

thanks for explaining. that is creepy.

simon and garfunkel's "the boxer" used to creep me out when i was about 9 or 10, i'm not sure why. i love the song now.

oh apropos simon and garfunkel... the start of sounds of silence had me in its claws for a little while...

"hello darkness my old friend
i?ve come to talk to you again"

i rented the movie called "the boxer" and didn't watch it for a couple days, and couldn't figure out WHY the simon and garfunkel song was stuck in my head...my mom asked if i had watched it and asked how different day-lewis' character was from the other movies i'd recently watched, and i said i hadn't seen it yet, and then she started singing simon and garfunkel..."*smacks self in the head* so THAT'S why i've had that stuck in my head!"

Back
Top Bottom