Has Michael Jackson's inescapable weirdness changed the way you listen to his music? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Has Michael Jackson's inescapable weirdness changed the way you listen to his music?

If you never liked MJ's music to begin with, you probably still don't like it. But if you ever liked or even loved his music, here's the question: Has his inescapable weirdness and eternal state of messed-up-ness effected the way you listen to his music? Or even your ability to listen to his music at all? Does it depend on the album/song? Or can you listen/not listen to any of it? I'm interested in seeing how MJ's ever-so-public and ever-so-disturbing problems have effected the way people listen to his music.

Old 07-31-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:41 PM
I can still listen to Dangerous like it's 1992. I lost interest after the bloated and egotistic HIStory and haven't heard anything since... well, with the exception of Blood On The Dance Floor and Ghosts. But I don't think that had anything to do with his child molestation charges or his general weirdness.

Old 07-31-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I can still listen to Dangerous like it's 1992. I lost interest after the bloated and egotistic HIStory and haven't heard anything since... well, with the exception of Blood On The Dance Floor and Ghosts. But I don't think that had anything to do with his child molestation charges or his general weirdness.
What about the older stuff - Thriller and Bad?

So you haven't heard his most recent record from three years ago entitled 'Invincible'? It's not very good. There were a few good tracks on History's disc of new material, but Dangerous was really his last great effort.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh yeah, I love Thriller, Bad and Dangerous! Haven't heard much of Off The Wall except for the 2 big hits. As for Invincible... geez! what a title! I saw that first video with Chris Rock I think and that song sucked so bad that I did not even bother with anything else from the album.

Okay, so he was the shiznit in the 80s and even the early 90s. But I guess all the 'king of pop' stuff went to his head.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:41 AM
It's the new generation gap. If you can remember when Michael Jackson was actually famous for being a pop star and not just famous for being famous and weird, line up over here. If you can't, line up over there.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

The only music I've ever listened to from Michael Jackson was indeed his Thriller album ... absolutely MAGNIFICENT album !!
I would occasionally listen to Thriller even now, no matter what has happened ... but I don't care for any of his other music / albums !!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:41 AM
MJ
Old 07-31-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
New Yorker

Oh, and: he's WHITE. He used to be BLACK.

THAT'S NOT NORMAL.

WHY ISN'T A BIGGER DEAL MADE OF THIS?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:41 AM
I don't actually own any of his albums-too young when he was big in the 80s and early 90s for one thing, and for another, I've just never been all that into a great deal of his music to begin with, personally. Just like the occasional song here and there. But I can still listen to those few songs I like without automatically thinking of the strange stuff Michael's been through over the years (heh, and one of his songs, whenever I hear it now, makes me think of a version an artist I do like did, so...).

Angela
Old 07-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
Oh, and: he's WHITE. He used to be BLACK.

THAT'S NOT NORMAL.

WHY ISN'T A BIGGER DEAL MADE OF THIS?
Because not everyone gives a flying fuck what colour someone is.

What's happened to him in recent years has no influence at all beyond me wishing he'd never lost his hold on himself. The Thriller and Bad eras were incredible and I am a rather definite fan of it. Daggy, I know But there you have it. I find it impossible to not listen to songs like Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Thriller, any of them, and not be blown away by how utterly perfect he had it all mastered. The man is a fucking genius. He might be a plethora of other things, but his musical genius carries on.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:49 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

The sad thing is it appears that Michael Jackson gives a flying fuck what colour he is.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:52 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:

Old 07-31-2005, 04:32 PM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:
It's not the color so much as the BIZARRE, UNEXPLAINED TRANSITION that's unusual. Keep your politically correct rolleyes smilies to yourself. If Bono turned up black tomorrow, you'd find it a little odd too (his work in Africa notwithstanding).
Old 07-31-2005, 04:35 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

It's not the color so much as the BIZARRE, UNEXPLAINED TRANSITION that's unusual. Keep your politically correct rolleyes smilies to yourself. If Bono turned up black tomorrow, you'd find it a little odd too (his work in Africa notwithstanding).
Yeah, I agree. There wasn't even anything politically incorrect in your original post.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:48 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Michael Jackson was incredible in some of his music and I can still listen to the songs I liked, watch the videos I liked. Sometimes you just have to separate the artist from the art. That being said, he is one strange mother.