Has Greed Killed Television?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
Live8 is still yet to be broadcast in my city due to Wimbledon tennis coverage. I'm guessing there's more money in broadcasting Wimbledon from advertisers long ago paid up adverts. From what I hear of the USA broadcast the show was continuously interrupted by adverts and TV hosts full of themselves, preferring to broadcast themselves than the musicians. The Dutch broadcast has also received bad reviews.

I recall Live Aid, watching most of the show, very few adverts, very few interruptions.

What has changed in 20 years that it is now longer possible for the world to unite and simultaneously view/participate in the same experience on television?

The internet broadcast, despite it glitches, appear to have run in a smoother, more egalitarian fashion. Many people watched Live 8 over the internet. Is this the way forward? Is television dead?

I spend more time with my PC then the TV. And when I watch TV it is usually my small one, the big one is only for DVDs.

yes I think greed has ruined TV. That's also why the dreadful reality craze has taken over too. "Reality" programs are cheap to produce.

Greed destroys art. Greed destroys everything it touches. There's a reason why its one of the seven deadly sins.

Wasn't Live Aid dropped by all the 3 TV networks in Australia, then the ABC got it?
Therefore, being on ABC..there should have been no adds.

The thing is I think the network already has a commitment to broadcast Wimbledon each year, and the Live 8 thing was relatively new.

I thought the coverage on Singapore was good, it was available only on cable though (although if you didn't have cable you could head down to this restaurant/pub area where they had five giant screens to show the thing). I had no idea where they were getting the feed from but while they did cut to commercial every hour or so, they broadcast the show on two channels - one main channel and one channel where you can send text messages and stuff like that - so whenever a commercial came I just switched over and followed it from there. The only performance completely blacked out was Snoop Dogg, I'm guessing the cable operator was freaking with the amount of f-words all over the place and Snoop was a good bet to drop a few more! Otherwise I didn't get to see everybody and they weren't all complete performances (Travis, for instance, or REM) but no-one was cut off mid-song.

That said to answer your original question, yeah, probably.

bono_man2002 said:
Wasn't Live Aid dropped by all the 3 TV networks in Australia, then the ABC got it?
Therefore, being on ABC..there should have been no adds.

There were no Australian ads but we got bit of USA ads and bits of USA hosts blathering. Not a lot, but a little bit.

I caught the tail end of it...it was mostly just recaps where they showed 20 blips of different performers. Here's what I saw

VJ babbling
Commercial
VJ/ PSA
Commercial
VJ
Green Day
VJ
Commercial
Green Day
Commercial
VJ
PSA
U2 and Paul Mc-ooops Commercial
VJ
Will Sm--oops VJ
Commercial
Green Day

greed_logo.jpg

Yeah, Greed was a terrible game show, wasn't it? Damn Chuck Woolery. :mad:

All of Australia missed the broadcast. How funny. An entire continent and country missed out. It made me laugh in a really pained way every time they said it was telecast to an audience of over one or two billion or whatever it was.
Is channel 9 doing Saturday night's as well? Tania has said it's now been promised uncut on Sat night.

Angela Harlem said:
All of Australia missed the broadcast.

We got the 2 hour special in Victoria.
But really, unless you have Pay TV, you were going to miss out....I mean how can they cut a 12 hour event into 2 hours (which really was an hour and a half because of commercials)

bono_man2002 said:

We got the 2 hour special in Victoria.
But really, unless you have Pay TV, you were going to miss out....I mean how can they cut a 12 hour event into 2 hours (which really was an hour and a half because of commercials)

They can play the whole 12 hours. They did in 1985. There is no reason why they cant in 2005. The fucking cricket matches that Channel 9 loves so much go for 12 hours (or seem like it). Why cant Channel 9 play 12 hours of a historically significant, internationally bonding concert?

PS I dont mean to bite your head of BonoMan, its Kerry Packer I want I hit in the head with a wet fish.

Google seems to be able to tell I'm Australian and alters its adverts etc to cater just for me. If there was an internet television station, the ads could be catered for the specific region and maybe we would have more freedoom of choice of programme.

Please, dear Kerry Fucking Arsehole Bastard Packer.

or Murdoch

or that USA guy that married Jane Fonda

somebody, anybody :mad:

beli, I recorded most of live8 (pretty much all of it) In DVD format on my PC.
I've been trying to convert to DVD, but the audio goes out of sync when I do.

Do you have a DVD player that just plays Data DVD's? (most Mpeg4 players ect ect do)
Otherwise you could play them on your PC...anyhow.....If you wanted to send me a few blank DVD's, I can burn make copies for you, I'll just have to work out how many discs.

Back
Top Bottom