has anyone else noticed (when searching google)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
an annoying pop-up window that's another search? it's a non-google search that pops up from http://search-company.com whenever i try to search on google. i just noticed it this week and it's very annoying. i was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this too? :shifty:

something evil is in your computer.

mine doesn't do that.

tweak a bit

Try running a (freeware) program like Ad Aware..I think you can find a link to it on cnet.com..It will delete all of the little tracking cookies and spyware off your pc.

ABEL i'm so glad you posted about this, b/c I've had some really annoying spyware on my computer :mad: and now I am getting rid of it! :D

ABEL...go to my journal and find my entry about "f**cking people who send viruses"

It sounds like the same thing that happened to me.

i already have adaware, i dunno why i hadn't thought of running it earlier...i'll try it now :angry:

bayernfc said:
on the same note, does anyone know a good pop-up blocker that actually works?

I use this one:

http://download.com.com/redir?pid=1...now&lop=link&destUrl=/3001-7786-10246779.html

After you install it, there's a little white hand down in the system tray. When it's white, pop-ups are blocked, when it's gray, they're not. To turn it off (some sites actually use pop-up window to view pics) double click on the little hand so it's gray. Same for turning it on. This version is free.

i ran ad-aware, it found a bunch of files that i removed, but it still happens.
the only thing i can think of, is it wouldn't have to do with the fact that i submitted my website to goodle would it? i guess i'll just start using my mozilla browser till i get it figured out lol.

My work computer was completely attacked by pop ups a few weeks ago. I couldn't do anything without a million of them opening. A lot of the work I do is online so it was getting in my way. A coworker told me to install ad-aware and I had something like 200 quarantied items the first time I ran a scan :crazy:

I just installed it on my home computer and I had a few but not 200!

I installed the free version but I see there's an option to pay to upgrade. What's the advantage of doing that?

ABEL said:
i guess i'll just start using my mozilla browser till i get it figured out lol.

There's a good idea. You could use Mozilla until you get used to it and then never you IE again!

We ran the spybot program recently and were stunned by how much crap was revealed . We think it's because our son has been searching for mp3's a lot lately.

here's an extract from a friend's email. It might be useful...to someone
....i've compiled a list here of apps i use all the time with a totally clear conscience.
some are open source all are licenced for free to private individuals.
note these free licences do not always extend to business, government or corporate use.

spybot - kill spyware stone cold with safety http://www.safer-networking.org/
these guys impressed me so much i sent a donation.
spywareblaster - stops those annoying intrusive active x apps
( that msoft love ) ever being installed in the first place.
my computer goes much faster now that it's immunised against all the crap
the corps try to clog you with ( why should your computer help with their
crappy market research ) http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
Mozilla - best browser. shits on IE and Outhouse Excess. you will love mozilla.
you will never go back to IE unless your some kind of masochist. the mozilla
engine is behind netscape. junk mail gone. pop-ups gone. import your whole
address book from Outhouse Excess if you like. netscape users will preserve all
their prefs.
and it's open source. power to the people baby. http://www.mozilla.org/
all the problems i've heard IE users whinge about don't exist, repeat don't exist
with mozilla. buy a pop-up killer if you like, or you could simply wipe your bum
with your money. just get mozilla for jc sake. oh and 16mb vs 60mb of useless
msoft crap(IE).
once you start tabbed browsing you will never look back.

and last but MOST IMPORTANT
Zone Alarm - going on the net w/out a firewall is like walking down the street in
your undies.
go Zone Alarm Pro if you want to pay the extra but the free version WORKS.
puts you in charge of your ins and outs. http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/company/zap_za_grid.jsp
many of these programs have been developed by the open source community.
by people who want to make the best software instead of a personal fortune at your expense.

Mozilla question.

I have Windows XP and if I try and install Netscape, Windows chucks a wobbly. The computer kept crashing until I removed Netscape and then it behaved again.

If I got Mozilla will Windoze behave?

nbcrusader said:

Which pop-up blocker do you recommend?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I use this one:

http://download.com.com/redir?pid=1...now&lop=link&destUrl=/3001-7786-10246779.html

After you install it, there's a little white hand down in the system tray. When it's white, pop-ups are blocked, when it's gray, they're not. To turn it off (some sites actually use pop-up window to view pics) double click on the little hand so it's gray. Same for turning it on. This version is free.

Thanks cass!

I had like 148 files removed :|

I use Mozilla but......... it doesn't do the scrollbar colors, which I like :wink: So I use IE on some sites.

Last edited:
ABEL said:
i ran ad-aware, it found a bunch of files that i removed, but it still happens.
the only thing i can think of, is it wouldn't have to do with the fact that i submitted my website to goodle would it? i guess i'll just start using my mozilla browser till i get it figured out lol.

did you get the new ad-aware and/or update the reference file?

beli said:
Mozilla question.

I have Windows XP and if I try and install Netscape, Windows chucks a wobbly. The computer kept crashing until I removed Netscape and then it behaved again.

If I got Mozilla will Windoze behave?

Netscape :barf:

Sounds like you have a computer that knows what's good for it!

Yes, give Mozilla a try. You can even transfer your Netscape user profile or whatever they call it.

Bono's American Wife said:
ABEL...go to my journal and find my entry about "f**cking people who send viruses"

It sounds like the same thing that happened to me.

i looked in your journal BAW, but there are some differences it seems...

i don't have Windows XP. i'm running Windows ME. also i never got a message saying 'page cannot be displayed' and i never had a problem going to any of the search engines, just that one popup whenever i went to google.

last nite while i was using my computer, my connection dropped, which isn't that unusual. i just logged back onto earthlink again and everything seemed fine. then a little while later my computer locked up. again, that wasn't so odd either as all computers commonly lock up from time to time.

however, when i rebooted a second time, i can't log into the internet now. i thought at first it was possibly my earthlink software, so i got my earthlink cd out to try to reinstall it. guess what. the cd locks up and nothing happens when i try to install it.

finally i'm getting fed up and decide to try to reinstall windows from the windows ME cd. again the :censored: cd locks up!

i don't know if it's a virus or what but i'm getting :mad: :scream: :rant:

i emailed dell support from work (since i can't log onto the internet at home at all right now) hopefully they can tell me something. argh. i was up almost all nite trying to fix my computer :laugh:

oh, and yes i scanned for viruses but it didn't find any. unfortunately i can't even get on the internet now to update my definitions. (i'm on a computer at work which explains how i'm posting this now lol)

i just downloaded and ran spybots&d. i was amazed that it found 30 something items that adaware never even picked up.

my computer's still f*cked tho. i still can't connect using my earthlink toolbar and when i try to install it or windows the cd still locks up and i get a bunch of this program is not responding messages :confused: :banghead:

ABEL said:

i don't have Windows XP. i'm running Windows ME.

OK, THERE'S your problem. ME is pretty much the WORSE os known to man, you're better off downgrading to 95 or 98, seriously.

Windows ME = :banghead:

Quick, get XP or 98 before you go INSANE!

Back
Top Bottom