Harry Potter - WARNING - READ ONLY IF FINISHED BOOK 6 - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2005, 11:18 PM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:10 AM
I think the book mentions Harry thinking he saw a phoenix rise when Dumbledore's body bursts into flames during the funeral. I don't know if DD will actually come back from the dead, but since he's been such an important presence throughout the series I can see him still present somehow in the last book.

What I can't really see is what's so important about Snape's old schoolbook and nickname anyway for it to figure in the title of the book. It's not like it reveals anything new apart from the fact that he's a half-blood; we already know that he's always been obsessed with Dark Arts and has a major nasty vindictive streak in his character. I don't see why he'd want to hush-hush the fact that the book belonged to him either; compared to the other stuff on his resume it's practically harmless.

A theory's been mentioned that Snape made an Unbreakable Vow with Dumbledore promising to take care of Harry or something like that; I somehow can't really see it though. Can you really call it "trust" when what you basically have is a threat of death hanging over another person's head? It's like, "do what you promised, or else". Almost blackmail, really.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:31 AM   #122
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:10 PM
I was walking past a Collins Bookshop today, and thought the precise same thing, re: the title and it's relevance. Virtually nothing came of it in the book, and why it mattered, though it did do what Snape as a teacher had never been able to teach Harry. Anythig I can think of, is nothing but half baked justifications. usually her reasonings are much more succinct and detailed. Clearly though, this book and the next, will be much more closely intertwined than any of the others which have had secondary plots and so on running through them with a definite ending at each finish. This one just left more questions hanging.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:44 AM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yes, it's definitely the "Empire Strikes Back" of the series: darker than anything else before, with loose ends galore and a big WHA?? at the end.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:49 AM   #124
Jesus Online

Yes, definintely! I've been thinking that too, lol.
Something re: all that which has been kind of niggling at me, is Harry's aims to be an Aurora. How much will this book (the Half Blood Prince's notes) help him with that? He almost didnt take the class because Snape didn't pass him well enough, I'm wondering if it will mean something. Or not. I really need to find a spare 6 hours and get these books reread, lol.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:49 AM   #125
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

That little schoolbook was definitely -very- helpful throughout the year... but from reading the book again it does look like Harry got it by pure chance. I wonder if it will make a comeback in the final novel; the last time we see it Harry hides it in that storing room and doesn't have the time to retrieve it.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #126
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Angie, how many hours to reread the series?

Old 08-07-2005, 03:26 PM   #127
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]Josh from Cottenham Village College: Right at the beginning, when Voldermort tried to kill Harry, how did Voldermort and Harry both survive?
****SCHOOLS COMPETITION WINNER****
JK Rowling replies -> That is the crucial and central question and if I answered it there would be hardly any point writing books six and seven... so I won't![/Q]

[Q]MauraEllen: Did the debt Wormtail has to Harry carry over to Voldemort when he sacrificed his arm to restore his body?
JK Rowling replies -> No. Can't say any more than that![/Q]

[Q]SiriuslyLovinSirius: If we ever see Sirius again, what form will he be in?
JK Rowling replies -> I couldn't possibly answer that for fear of incriminating myself.

Kelpie_8: Will the two way mirror Sirius gave Harry ever show up again?
JK Rowling replies -> Ooooo good question. There's your answer.
[/Q]

http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/art...4/0304-wbd.htm
Old 08-07-2005, 03:29 PM   #128
Blue Crack Addict

I think there is definetly a reason why Dumbledore's patronus was a Phoenix and the fact that he had one as well....I don't think he is gone...
Old 08-07-2005, 03:29 PM   #129
ONE
love, blood, life

I want the S/N SeriuslyLovinSirius.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #130
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]MA: We've come up with Regulus Black.

JKR: Have you now?

MA: Uh-oh.

[Laughter.]

JKR: Well, I think that would be, um, a fine guess.

MA: And perhaps, being Sirius’s brother, he had another mirror –

JKR: [drums fingers on soda can]

MA: Does he have the other mirror, or Sirius’s mirror —

JKR: I have no comment at all on that mirror. That mirror is not on the table. [Laughter from all; Jo's is maniacal.]

MA: Let the record note that she has drummed her fingers on her Coke can in a very Mr. Burns-like way.

[/Q]

http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/art...t-anelli-2.htm
Old 08-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]ES: Was Dumbledore planning to die?

JKR: [Pause.] Do you think that's going to be the big theory?

MA & ES: Yes. It’ll be a big theory.

JKR: [Pause.] Well, I don't want to shoot that one down. [A little laughter.] I have to give people hope.

MA: It goes back to the question of whether Snape is a double-double-double-triple-

JKR: [Laughs] Double-double-quadruple-to-the-power-of - yeah.

MA: …whether this had been planned, and since Dumbledore had this knowledge of Draco the whole year, had they had a discussion that said, "Should this happen, you have to act as if it is entirely your intention to just walk forward and kill me, because if you don't, Draco will die, the Unbreakable Vow, you'll die," and so on —

JKR: No, I see that, and yeah, I follow your line there. I can't — I mean, obviously, there are lines of speculation I don't want to shut down. Generally speaking, I shut down those lines of speculation that are plain unprofitable. Even with the shippers. God bless them, but they had a lot of fun with it. It's when people get really off the wall — it's when people devote hours of their time to proving that Snape is a vampire that I feel it's time to step in, because there's really nothing in the canon that supports that.

ES: It's when you look for those things —

JKR: Yeah, it's after the 15th rereading when you have spots in front of your eyes that you start seeing clues about Snape being the Lord of Darkness. So, there are things I shut down just because I think, well, don't waste your time, there's better stuff to be debating, and even if it's wrong, it will probably lead you somewhere interesting. That's my rough theory anyway.

ES: What's one question you wished to be asked and what would be the answer to that question?

JKR: Um — [long pause] — such a good question. What do I wish I could be asked? [Pause.] Today, just today, July the 16th, I was really hoping someone would ask me about R.A.B., and you did it. Just today, because I think that is — well, I hoped that people would.

MA: Is there more we should ask about him?

JKR: There are things you will deduce on further readings, I think — well you two definitely will, for sure — that, yeah, I was really hoping that R.A.B. would come out.

MA: Forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but was Regulus the one who was murdered by Voldemort —

JKR: Well Sirius said he wouldn't have been because he wasn't important enough, remember?

MA: But that doesn’t have to be true, if [R.A.B.] is writing Voldemort a personal note.

JKR: That doesn't necessarily show that Voldemort killed him, personally, but Sirius himself suspected that Regulus got in a little too deep. Like Draco. He was attracted to it, but the reality of what it meant was way too much to handle.

[/Q]
Old 08-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I almost feel like DD has got to come back simply because he's got a whole lot of explaining to do about what the hell was going on in HBP,

I'm really confused what's the deal with that potion DD had to drink in the cave. Why did it make him plead "not to hurt them, hurt me instead", and why did he scream "KILL ME!!" at the end? And if someone else got to the Horcrux already, I presume they had to drink the potion as well in order to get to the locket. So was that liquid DD drunk the exact same replica of the original defense mechanism? It could be that the basin simply refills itself after a while; otherwise R.A.B. would have to be a damn resourceful fellow to be able to replace the potion so well. And is there any deeper significance to the fact that Harry wasn't able to create water and DD was forced to drink from that Inferi-infested lake instead?

I've also read this theory that, since it looked like it's impossible to get to the Horcrux all by yourself, R.A.B. must have had someone else with him to help out. And if R.A.B. was in fact Sirius' brother, could it be that he took Kreacher the house elf with him? And that it is in fact Kreacher who now possesses the real locket?

It's maddening the way that eeeevil woman makes it so completely ambiguous and unclear whether DD knew about Snape's Unbreakable Vow, and whether Snape knew what he was agreeing to help Draco to do when he made the Vow,
Old 08-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #133
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
I've also read this theory that, since it looked like it's impossible to get to the Horcrux all by yourself, R.A.B. must have had someone else with him to help out. And if R.A.B. was in fact Sirius' brother, could it be that he took Kreacher the house elf with him? And that it is in fact Kreacher who now possesses the real locket?
That is a tremendously awesome theory. RAB was a Death Eater, and was indeed Serious' brother. Kreacher would have been a likely choice for this mission. I am concerned as to when RAB could have done this mission, since he was killed relatively quickly after telling voldi to piss off.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:36 PM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

More theories!

I'm re-reading Prisoner of Azkaban now, and yesterday a red flag went ding-a-ding-a-ding in my head when I read the bit where Fudge was talking about the attempt to hide Harry's parents from Voldemort. He mentions that Potters were tipped off about the danger by Dumbledore, who in turn was tipped off by a spy - whose name is never mentioned. Now, could that person be Snape? That would fit the timeline of events perfectly: many people speculated that Lily's death may have pushed Snape to switch sides - but DD said that Snape went back to the good side a short time -before- Voldemort's fall, not after. Suppose Snape realised that it was Lily and James Voldemort was going to go after, and, for whatever reasons, warned DD about it? That would also give DD some evidence to believe that Snape's regret was genuine.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:28 PM   #135
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Angie, how many hours to reread the series?

I speed read, which is a huge pain in the arse. I really have to concentrate to slow down to read things. It's not something I like, trust me.

I read in someone's journal on here a link to www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com . Has anyone seen this site? I'm as convinced as the next person, that this isn't the end of DD. The site lists a fair few weak correlations, but some are fabulous.

And I have to say something which has bothered me from about halfway through these books. Harry in many ways, bothers me. As Snape once said in a fit of venom, Harry is a really ordinary wizard. Hermione is what you'd call brilliant, not Harry, if you go seeking brilliance. Harry is not only a fairly average wizard (a lot of his successes have been luck and unseen 'friends' helping him out) but he is completely naive as to what the real story is with defeating Voldemort. I'm frankly a little tired of the ivory tower everyone places Harry on, constantly restating that he is the one who will defeat Voldemort, that he has the power, the ability, the blah blah...Harry has no idea what he is doing. Dumbledore has obviously known a staggering amount of detail and yet, never let Harry know much. Infact, it seems everyone knows more, even if they are somewhat irrelevant. I reckon McGonagall's little finger has more knowledge than Harry's entire being, yet everyone is expecting this kid with virtually no understanding and no outstanding skill to do something based on what happened, when again more outside influence was what saved his life.