Harry Potter - WARNING - READ ONLY IF FINISHED BOOK 6 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2005, 06:30 PM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
One theory I have, if Snape really did go back to the good over his remorse for what happened to Harry's parents, could it be that he had feelings for Lily, Harry's Mum? I know he called her a Mudblood in the memory Harry saw, but if you went by that memory alone Lily and James had as much chance of ending up together as snowball surviving in hell, yet they did eventually. And although Snape always says nothing but hateful things about Harry's father, did he ever badmouth Harry's mother? I know it's all probably far-fetched, but I just can't see why else his telling the prophecy would turn out to be the biggest regret of his life - provided that it really was, of course.
People have speculated that Snape may have had a thing for Lilly Potter, and when she was killed Snape blamed himself and left Voldy. Of course he was mean to her in the memory, but that could have been his way of hiding his true feelings. It could very well be a possibility.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:11 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Severus Snape = Persues Evans (pursues evans)

Evans was Lily's maiden name.

Old 07-31-2005, 10:02 PM   #93
ONE
love, blood, life

Amyone think that Harry is a Horcrux?
Old 08-01-2005, 12:51 PM   #94
War Child

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Amyone think that Harry is a Horcrux?
Holy crap you might be on to something! I mean Harry is said to have gotten something from Voldemort when he tried to kill him...hmmm
Old 08-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #95
New Yorker

Some very interesting theories and thoughts here, guys. Thanks! I for one loved the book. You knew Dumbledore was going to die (like someone earlier said, in the hero's myth-arc, the mentor has to go for the hero to be on his own). I right now think that Snape will be exonerated, but she'll have to do it very carefully. I'd find that to be the more interesting choice, anyway. It would be odd for Dumble. to have been wrong about him, but not inconceivable. He was always on to Tom Riddle, every if he did have hopes.

Lovin the slightly more mature Harry--he's still reckless and angry, but wiser and determined, and so strong and courageous. Vold. has created himself a formidlble enemy.

JKR's formula is showing a bit--I hope she totally ditches it for the final book (do we really need more boring classes with Hermionie knowling all the answers and another Quiditch match?). She relied quite a bit on exposition.

Ginny was a strange and sorta dull choice, IMHO, for Harry's love interest. She's always seemed like a bunch of kid-sister cliches too me and will need to be fleshed out more if that's going to hold my interest.

Loved loved loved the cave scene with D. and Harry looking for the final Horcrux. The idea that it could be Harry himself is very interesting--except that Vold. has spent, so far as we knwo, the past 6 books trying to kill him. LOL. I suppose he could have figured he has others to fall back on. Doesn't seem likely.

I thought Dumble.'s death was quite noble, esp. if he felt it necessary for Vold's final defeat.

Loved Harry telling the Ministy to off, he's Dumbledore's man.

All the themes I"ve loved about this are there still--friendship, love, honor, the sense of growing up and discovering how your choices shape you for good or ill, discovering what you're really made of.

Can't waiit for book 7--she's got a very tough job to do to make it great.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:04 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:55 PM
I've always felt Snape had a sweet spot for Lilly, but since she didn't really show him that *type* of interest in return, he kept silent or was insulting (as a way of masking his feelings). After all, how can Snape - who is a half-blood - mock Lilly for being a half-blood as well?

As for Harry being a Horcrux, I need to learn a lot more about Horcruxes are made before I accept that theory. And by the time we learn that, it'll be Book 7 and we'll all know that answer.

I do, however, feel that Snape and Dumbledore were together on a plan. Even with Dumbledore in his weakened state, it seems too easy that Draco - of all people - would disarm Dumbledore. And why did Dumbledore use his last spell to freeze Harry - what was gained by that? Why didn't Dumbledore use unspoken magic to get his wand back, instead of talking to Draco that whole time? Surely, the most powerful wizard - even one weakened with poison - could retrieve his own wand. And for Snape to be the one to kill him - the one that Dumbledore trusted without doubt? Clearly there's something fishy here.

I like the idea of Neville being heavily involved in Book 7. I also know that Draco and Harry will team up in that book (Rowling stated as such).

If Harry is a Horcrux, does Harry necessarily have to die (or be destroyed) to release that part of Voldemort's soul? Also, if Harry was an "accidental Horcrux" (meaning, created when the killing spell rebounded on Voldemort), maybe this means Harry doesn't have to die to have Volde's soul removed after all. Hmmm...
Old 08-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

I still think in the back of my mind that DD realized he was going to die...he knew he had not reached help in time...and somehow Snape knew it too.

Snape was only supposed to act if Draco FAILED....he did not give Draco the chance to fail.....Maybe it was his way of getting undercover....

I cannot believe DD was so wrong.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #98
Refugee

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
I've always felt Snape had a sweet spot for Lilly, but since she didn't really show him that *type* of interest in return, he kept silent or was insulting (as a way of masking his feelings). After all, how can Snape - who is a half-blood - mock Lilly for being a half-blood as well?
Lily is Muggle-born, not half-blood. It's a nasty pecking order, the "pure-bloods" think they're superior to everybody, the "half-bloods" spit on the Muggle-borns, and they all hate Squibs and Muggles (not all of Wizardkind, of course, just the idiots who subscribe to the superiority nonsense). And if Voldemort, who's Muggle on one side and totally inbred wizards on the other, can snarl at half-bloods and the rest, what's to stop Snape or any of the rest of his followers from doing the same thing? Prejudice is hardly logical.

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
I like the idea of Neville being heavily involved in Book 7. I also know that Draco and Harry will team up in that book (Rowling stated as such).
I like how Neville has developed as a character, and look forward to seeing him bloom in Book 7. The Draco & Harry team-up will be most interesting. I hope Draco can be turned around and made to see the error of his ways.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Harry a Horcrux? Could be, but unless she can find a really sneaky way to get around it I don't see JKR killing off Harry in the last book. C'mon, he's her baby,

Dunno if this is a plothole or not, but how come Harry doesn't recognise Snape's handwriting after he's been his student for five years? Could it really change that much?

I think it's a bit of an annoying writing weakness that helpful devices like travel back in time or the truth potion which help to solve a problem in one book are then completely ignored in another in order for the plot to progress the way it should. Unavoidable, maybe, but still annoying.

Don't know if this theory was mentioned yet, but someone at imdb.com board suggested that perhaps removing the curse from the Slytherin ring came with a far greater price than a blackened hand, and Dumbledore knew he was going to die for a long time. Which is why he was so eager for Harry to learn about Horcruxes and get that missing memory from Slughorn, and had no problems giving a jinxed position to Snape. The jinx thing BTW explains (I think) why Snape never ever got to teach his favourite subject. DD said himself that he had foreseen Voldy's return, and probably didn't want to risk losing his agent to a curse.

I like the Snape/Lily theory the more I think about it; apart from everything else it would tie in nicely with the whole idea of Voldemort's plans going down like lead baloon because of that pesky love thing.

If DD's murder was indeed a set-up, I wonder if there could be another, third person who knows that it's all arranged. Because, as people pointed out, how does Snape's further infiltration help the Order if everyone on the good side wants to rip his head off right now.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:45 PM   #100
Refugee

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
Harry a Horcrux? Could be, but unless she can find a really sneaky way to get around it I don't see JKR killing off Harry in the last book. C'mon, he's her baby,
Yeah, remember this is still a kids/young adult book. Killing off Harry would really be a horrible blow to a lot of young readers.

Quote:
Dunno if this is a plothole or not, but how come Harry doesn't recognise Snape's handwriting after he's been his student for five years? Could it really change that much?
I don't know if Harry saw much of Snape's handwriting other than letter grades. Snape doesn't seem like one to make helpful comments

Quote:
I think it's a bit of an annoying writing weakness that helpful devices like travel back in time or the truth potion which help to solve a problem in one book are then completely ignored in another in order for the plot to progress the way it should. Unavoidable, maybe, but still annoying.
I agree, time travel causes a lot of problems. You could go mad, but if you already know that time travel is possible, then seeing a double of yourself wouldn't really cause problems, would it? It'd be nice if she explained it more. Truth potion...maybe great wizards can sense when it's being given to them? Still, it could work on someone like Draco. And of course, liquid luck. Why not use the stuff whenever you're fighting Death Eaters or Voldy?

Quote:

I like the Snape/Lily theory the more I think about it; apart from everything else it would tie in nicely with the whole idea of Voldemort's plans going down like lead baloon because of that pesky love thing.
It may explain Snape's rancor towards Harry...Harry looks like James, which Snape dispised. Yet his eyes are like Lilly's, which in itself brings back sad memories. Also, Slughorn said that Lilly was an excellent potions student, maybe she got help from Snape.

Quote:
If DD's murder was indeed a set-up, I wonder if there could be another, third person who knows that it's all arranged. Because, as people pointed out, how does Snape's further infiltration help the Order if everyone on the good side wants to rip his head off right now.
Indeed. Where was Mad Eye Moody this whole book? Or other members of the order? Dumbledore could very well have left something behind that told of his plans.

Or maybe, Regulas Black is not as dead as we think he is? That'd be cool
Old 08-02-2005, 06:49 AM   #101
War Child

I don't know if anyone else has stated this but couldn't R.A.B in the locket actually be Regulus Black....and if he is not dead couldn't he be the one to help out Harry find and destroy the other Horcruxes.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:56 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

I am really into this whole LOVE thing. There is quite a dialogue between Harry and Dumbledore about LOVE making the difference, and that is what will help Harry defeat Voldemort.

On the concept of love, I think that is the BIG difference in Sererous Snape. I believe that we will learn that Harry's mother and Snape were possibly in love. Given what we have learned through this book about Lily and her potion making abilities, and Servous' talent through the Half-Blood Prince Textbook, it is clear that they would have been close together at some point in their schooling, two people of such talent.

And that is my current theory about Dumbldore and his Severous. The thing that will make Severous different in the end was that he at some point felt love. Dumbledore knew that he was in danger from the getgo. I believe Severous told him he had taken the oath in the book. I believe Dumbledore was trying to keep Malfoy alive.

If you go back and look at the description of Severous' face and reaction to Dumbledore when Dumbledore is pleading with him, it is very similar to the face that Harry makes when Dumbledore tells him to force the potion into him in the cave.

If I remember correctly Severous aided Dumbledore in destroying the Ring Horcrux. I may need some correcting on this.

I believe that Dumbledore died so that Malfoy could live. LOVE, not killing a child shaped by his parents hate. Severous knew that Dumbledore did not want Malfoy to be killed.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #103
ONE
love, blood, life

Another thought about the Lilly Snape connection...

is it me, or did Voldemort offer to spare Lily death?

If I am recalling correctly this is so....

Why would he do this, unless Snape had asked him to?

Maybe this is why Dumbledore trusted Snape so much? Voldemort had kille dhis true love?
Old 08-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

One last thing....

Lily was present during Harry's dip into what Snapes worst memory was......

Lily was upset that James was torturing Snape....
Old 08-02-2005, 05:50 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Voldemort offering to spare Lily: I very much doubt he did it because Snape asked him to. Because then Voldemort would be really stupid to keep Snape around if he knew about his feelings about Lily and her death.

I also do not think Lily had any special feelings towards Snape even if he did. It's more likely that she intervened on his behalf simply because she was a girl with a strong sense of right and wrong and tormenting someone was definitely wrong in her eyes. And I think that in the third book Lupin says that Lily was a sort of person who was capable of seeing good in people even when they themselves didn't, or something to that effect.

I wonder what role, if any, the new Minister for Magic is going to play in the final book... so far he has only been introduced.

Here's another curious detail about DD death scene: I think that Snape is perfectly aware that Harry is present in the room when DD dies. Throughout the books, it has been shown that Snape is capable of putting two and two together with a remarkable speed, and I think there's a passage in the book that describes him looking at where two broomsticks lie on the floor - two, not one. And later on he acts as if he knows that he was seen doing the deed and there's nothing left for him to do but run away.