Harry Potter - WARNING - READ ONLY IF FINISHED BOOK 6 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2005, 08:32 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:58 AM
yeah how did she get away from those centaurs anyway? I thought for sure they'd eat her or stampede over her or something...would serve her right, that bitch.

I just can't see snape truly being on Voldy's side...if he's not on the side of the order, then I think he's sort of a free agent. he got rid of Dumbledore and that would get him closer to Voldy, in a perfect position to take him out. with the whole "Half Blood Prince" thing, it seems like he's jealous of Voldy, maybe thinks that that should be him. I dunno, crazy theory.

anyway, one thing I noticed was that all the members of the order (at least that were present) seem horrified by snape's actions and convinced they were right that he's a traitor. if snape's killing dumbledore was really in order to get closer in the death eaters circle to help the Order, right about now everyone in the Order thinks he's a murderous traitor. it wouldn't matter how much info he got, he doesn't have anyone to tell it to. unless someone or everyone in the order, does know about the "plan" after all. asuming there was a plan.

I just don't know.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Jo did say there were a LOT of visual clues to the future of the series in the films, especially Azkaban, and that it freaked her out because she didn't tell Chris Columbus or Alfonso Cuaron.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:54 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

really? I taped Azkaban when they played it on the TV, I might have to go watch it right now.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:38 PM   #64
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Hang on a sec. You guys who think Snape cant really be on Voldemort's side, why did Dumbledore have to die, then?

I believe Dumbledore knew it was coming, maybe not how exactly, or when or even by who, but that it was inevitable, but I cant see how he would had to have diedfor the Order. I think my memory is also not working, lol.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:50 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

uhmm...well I think the theory is that Dumbledore knew about the assignment Malfoy had been given (to kill him) and he also knew Malfoy couldn't do it. He knew that if Malfoy didn't do it, he and his family would be tortured and killed. Dumbledore, noble and virtuous as he is, didn't want this to happen to one of his students. So somehow Snape set up the Unbreakable Vow so that he could prove himself and spare Malfoy. So basically, Dumbledore was sacrificing himself that a family of Death Eaters may live. Makes a whole lot of sense, doesn't it? me=

I dunno, I have no idea honestly.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:43 PM   #66
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Hmm. Do you think really that Dumbledore cares/cared what happened to the Malfoys? Draco, sure is only a kid, and incapable of murder, but his parents are bad. I dont think sparing Draco the hurt of seeing his parents tortured was worth more than Dumbledore's own life, when the defeat of Voldemort is probably one of the most pressing and important things upcoming. But this is now heading into the psychology, lol. I have been dwelling on this for days now

Snape....this fascinates me. I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons for him being on the Order's side or Voldemort's side. By him killing Dumbledore, ruining the school year, upsetting the entire good wizard population, allowing Voldemort to now get to Harry and kill HIM ie access to Harry, getting himself wrapped up in the wrath of nearly everyone and now living with that risk of being possibly the most wanted wizard at the present, incidentally now having forced Malfoy to fail in his orders to kill Dumbledore himself (Voldemort will surely know it was Snape and not Draco, right?), he's achieved what?

On the other hand...For the Order, he now has...saved Draco and probably his parents. I cant think what else?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:23 AM   #67
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:58 PM
I think the whole Dumbledore dieing bit will be explained when we find out why his hand went black and couldn't be fixed. I think that Dumbledore knew at that stage he was dying. I also think that Snape told him of the unbreakable curse and that they knew that Draco wouldn't be able to follow through with killing Dumbledore, so they organised between themselves to have Snape do the deed. This way, Draco is safe for the moment, the Order is in apparent chaos and Snape is back in Voldy's good books.

There definitely is a locket in Sirius's house, which couldn't be opened.

I think that there is something about Harry's Aunt who may have witch powers (but this could be totally wrong).
Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Hmm. Do you think really that Dumbledore cares/cared what happened to the Malfoys? Draco, sure is only a kid, and incapable of murder, but his parents are bad. I dont think sparing Draco the hurt of seeing his parents tortured was worth more than Dumbledore's own life, when the defeat of Voldemort is probably one of the most pressing and important things upcoming.
Perhaps. But I do think that saving Draco from becoming a murderer was part of the reason Dumbledore was willing to sacrifice himself. Remember, he said, when Draco pointed out that Dumbledore was at his mercy, "No, Draco, it is my mercy that matters now." To me, that means, first, that he is not going to let Draco fail in his task and be murdered and/or tortured by Voldemort. And however awful he is, Dumbledore knows Draco is not a murderer and he doesn't want him to become one. Dumbledore sees something worth saving in Draco and I think, in part, this is worth dying for for him. On a side note, it becomes clear in this book how much Draco and his mother love each other. And I think this may be what saves them in the end.

And that's a good point about what's going to happen to Malfoy now that he didn't kill Dumbledore. He did, however, succeed in getting the Death Eaters into Hogwarts. And Dumbledore did end up dead. So maybe, no harm no foul? I'm not sure what's going to happen there.

And, yes, defeating Voldemort was one of Dumbledore's primary goals. But he said himself that he is not essential to doing that. Only Harry is. I think that's why Dumbledore was in such a hurry to give Harry all the information and tools to defeat Voldemort- he knew he wasn't (or might not) be around much longer to tell him. I think Dumbledore knew about Snape's unbreakable vow and told Snape that, if it came down to it, to kill him, which could be what Hagrid overheard them fighting about early on in the book. When Snape said "I don't want to do it anymore!" he may have been saying "I know I said I'd kill you if that's what it came to, but I don't want to do it anymore." And I think, in the moment Snape gazed at Dumbledore before he killed him, Dumbledore ordered Snape to do it. After all, they were both very skilled Legilimens, so I'd find it hard to believe that they gazed at each other at this crucial moment, and nothing passed between them. This would also explain the look of revulsion on Snape's face. He didn't hate Dumbledore; he hated what he had to do.

And what absolutely convinces me that Snape is not evil is his reaction when Harry called him a coward. He's described not as merely angry or furious; he's in pain, as much pain as Fang, howling and trapped in Hagrid's burning hut. Now, I can see him being angry at being insulted by Harry if he (Snape) really was evil. But pain? I can't see that unless he felt incredible remorse and grief over what he'd done. He just had to kill the only person who truly trusted him, the man who gave him a second chance when no one else would have. And now everyone thinks he's evil, and he has no way of showing his grief. And then to be called a coward, by Potter of all people, when what he did in fact took supreme courage? I think all the anguish and frustration and grief came spilling out for a moment.

Of course, this is just a lot of speculation.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:01 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:58 AM
What a great book!!
Nice thoughs Hallelujah! Lots to think about, but my quick thought is that Harry is never going to forgive Snape, you know how he holds grudges and is extremely loyal to his friends and family- even if Snape was ordered by Dumbledore to kill him. But maybe in book 7 Harry will have matured even more and understood forgiveness.

I actually don't think Harry will be going to Hogwart's for his final year. And I'm intrested to see what kind of protection Harry can get at his muggle home- why was it so important for Dumbledore to pick him up there and reiterate to his aunt & uncle that Harry can stay there (indeed, must) until he came of age.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #70
Refugee

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes
But I do think that saving Draco from becoming a murderer was part of the reason Dumbledore was willing to sacrifice himself. ...And however awful he is, Dumbledore knows Draco is not a murderer and he doesn't want him to become one. Dumbledore sees something worth saving in Draco and I think, in part, this is worth dying for for him.
Very interesting theory. I think Draco can be redeemed, too. Remember also that he was confiding in and being comforted by Moaning Myrtle, the ghost of one of the "Mudbloods" Draco has always despised. I think he's starting to see the error of his ways. It'll be a slow and painful process, but I think he'll turn around in the end.

I think it would be wise for Harry to return to Hogwarts. At the very least, perhaps he can find Dumbledore's notes, or his portrait can continue teaching him, informing him where the remaining Horcruxes are. I should also think Dumbledore told McGonagall a few things before he died; he wouldn't want to leave her out to dry when she took over the school. And Harry really should confide in McGonagall; she is a wise and sensible person, and a rather powerful witch herself.

In case anyone is interested, I recommend this website: http://www.hp-lexicon.org/ It's a good way to keep track of everything in the Harry Potter world.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:26 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue DeNym

I think it would be wise for Harry to return to Hogwarts. At the very least, perhaps he can find Dumbledore's notes, or his portrait can continue teaching him, informing him where the remaining Horcruxes are. I should also think Dumbledore told McGonagall a few things before he died; he wouldn't want to leave her out to dry when she took over the school. And Harry really should confide in McGonagall; she is a wise and sensible person, and a rather powerful witch herself.
I think Harry will go back to Hogwarts at some point in the next book. But I'm really curious to see how exactly the whole portrait thing will work. It seems like other portraits of former headmasters have all the personalities and knowledge of the actual headmasters themselves. I don't see why it would be different for Dumbledore, I guess, other than it would seem like cheating for the portrait just to be able to tell Harry everything the real Dumbledore would. I mean, it just seems like it would be so anticlimactic if at the beginning of the next book, Dumbledore is just like "Dudes. Listen. I told Snape to kill me! And here's where I think the other Horcruxes are..." If he could do that, it seems like it was pointless to kill him off. And I do wonder why, if Harry saw the portrait, he himself didn't wonder whether the portrait Dumbledore would be able to help him.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:03 PM   #72
Refugee

Local Time: 03:58 AM
Quote:

But I'm really curious to see how exactly the whole portrait thing will work. It seems like other portraits of former headmasters have all the personalities and knowledge of the actual headmasters themselves. I don't see why it would be different for Dumbledore, I guess, other than it would seem like cheating for the portrait just to be able to tell Harry everything the real Dumbledore would. I mean, it just seems like it would be so anticlimactic if at the beginning of the next book, Dumbledore is just like "Dudes. Listen. I told Snape to kill me! And here's where I think the other Horcruxes are..." If he could do that, it seems like it was pointless to kill him off. And I do wonder why, if Harry saw the portrait, he himself didn't wonder whether the portrait Dumbledore would be able to help him.
I was thinking of that as well, perhaps in the new book she will give us an explanation of how portraits work and what they can and cannot do. Most likely they can't know everything their, em, person knew, or that would make for a very very large plot hole.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #73
Refugee

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Quote:
I don't see why it would be different for Dumbledore, I guess, other than it would seem like cheating for the portrait just to be able to tell Harry everything the real Dumbledore would. I mean, it just seems like it would be so anticlimactic if at the beginning of the next book, Dumbledore is just like "Dudes. Listen. I told Snape to kill me! And here's where I think the other Horcruxes are..." If he could do that, it seems like it was pointless to kill him off. And I do wonder why, if Harry saw the portrait, he himself didn't wonder whether the portrait Dumbledore would be able to help him.
That's a good point. I'm not sure how the portraits work, either. Is there some essence of the subject's personality and wisdom imbued in the paint? Or is it more like a recording?

Yes, it would be anticlimatic for the portrait to know everything Dumbledore knew. IIRC, the real Dumbledore didn't know where the rest of the Horcruxes were anyway. But the portrait could still guide and advise Harry, and I think McGonagall would be a good advisor to Harry as well, if he would confide in her.

And speaking of McGonagall, who's going to be the new Head of Gryffindor House?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:09 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:58 AM
F###&&K!!!

I've just finished the fourth book and was SO determined to stay away from the spoilers... and then some complete asshole on IMDB.com movie boards goes and posts under the name "snapekillsdumbledore". Arghhhhhhh! I'm really upset now; always liked Snape despite him being a bastard.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 11:58 AM
aw that really sucks, saracene