Harry Potter - WARNING - READ ONLY IF FINISHED BOOK 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm rereading the book now to try to pick up details I may have missed on the first rush through.

btw, I just saw an ad at our theatre here for a "coming soon" Harry Potter movie. Is goblet of fire already been made into a film? I am so behind the times. :huh:

sulawesigirl4 said:
I'm rereading the book now to try to pick up details I may have missed on the first rush through.

btw, I just saw an ad at our theatre here for a "coming soon" Harry Potter movie. Is goblet of fire already been made into a film? I am so behind the times. :huh:

Comes out in November. Very excited for that, as well as Chronicles of Narnia and King Kong. :hyper:

oh man! I can't WAIT for Narnia. I have read those books countless times...since childhood and right up to today. :drool:

Saracene said:
I think it's safe to say that the last book is going to have death and revenge galore, :evil: Apart from the obvious one, I think there's bound to be a showdown between Lupin and Greyback (which Lupin damn better win), and Bellatrix is sure to cop it from either Harry or Neville. And whatever side he's on, Snape is definitely a goner. The core three of Harry, Ron and Hermione are pretty safe, IMO; I doubt JKR would ever get things -that- dark.

Oh yes, Snape is gonna get it, my guess is that he dies doing something heroic.

Actually, I think they are in production of the 5th film, which according to IMDB comes out sometime in 2007.

Hermione...:drool:

*her character is exactly my age in this one, so I can dream, and I'm gonna dream out loud*

LemonMacPhisto said:
Hermione...:drool:

*her character is exactly my age in this one, so I can dream, and I'm gonna dream out loud*

So it's 3 girls now, eh Jake? :wink:

I read somewhere that the 5th movie won't be out until 2007. At the rate that they're going, they'll have to replace the current Harry, Ron, and Hermione because they'll all be too old to play the parts.

Well Luke Perry was about 30 playing a 20 year old on Beverly Hills 90210, it can work...

well everyone can have their dreamgirls, and real life ones...:wink:

IrishDawg said:

I read somewhere that the 5th movie won't be out until 2007. At the rate that they're going, they'll have to replace the current Harry, Ron, and Hermione because they'll all be too old to play the parts.

Hmmm.... let's see.... :hmm:

Book 1 = Hermoine, Harry, Ron and Draco are supposed to be 11 years old.
Actual ages by the Nov. 2001 film release: Watson = 11 (April 15, '90), Radcliffe = 12 (July 23, '89), Grint = 13 (Aug. 24, '88), Felton = 14 (Sept. 22, '87)

Book 2 = 12 years
Actual ages by the Nov. 2002 film release: 12, 13, 14, 15 (for Watson, Radcliffe, Grint and Felton)

Book 3 = 13 years
Actual ages by the June 2004 film release: 14, 14, 15, 16 (for Watson, Radcliffe, Grint and Felton)

Book 4 = 14 years
Actual ages by the Nov. 2005 film release: 15, 16, 17, 18 (for Watson, Radcliffe, Grint and Felton)

Book 5 = 15 years
Actual ages by Nov. 2007 film release (estimated release date): 17, 18, 19, 20 (for Watson, Radcliffe, Grint and Felton)

Book 6 = 16 years
Actual ages by Nov. 2008 film release (estimated release date): 18, 19, 20, 21 (for Watson, Radcliffe, Grint and Felton)

As shown, some actors started out older than their characters from the start. Of course, it's important to remember that I'm listing the actors' ages as of the movie release date - the filming may be done a year before than (with the rest of the time dedicated to CGI effects and editing). Hence, this is why Tom Felton was able to play an 11 year old so well in the first movie, even though he was 14 by the time the movie was released.

It's also key to remember that not every 13 year old is the same. I presently know two 13 year old boys who's voices haven't even changed! My voice changed shortly after my 14th birthday. And it's this aspect that may help a child actor play a younger part.

At the current filming schedule, while Tom Felton may be looking a bit "old in the tooth" to play a 16 year old (by Movie 6), Radcliffe and Watson will still be in their teens. A few years age difference here shouldn't be too dramatic.

The unknown is Book 7. As it's not even written yet, how long it takes until it's converted into a movie may play a role in whether all the main actors stay for the entire series. If Movie 7 comes out in 2009, then we have the same situation as we did in Movie 6, and I don't think anyone will be too upset to discover a 22 year old Tom Felton playing a 17 year old Draco Malfoy. :wink: But if it takes until 2010 or later for that last book, then there might be a problem using some of the same actors.

Of course, this goes the other way as well. The older actors are aging and may not be able to play their parts. We already lost Richard Harris (Dumbledore). Michael Gambon, Harris's replacement, was born in 1940. Alan Rickman (Snape) was born in 1946. Maggie Smith (McGonagall) was born in 1934. Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid) was born in 1950. All of these actors are now over 55 years of age. If Book 7 isn't made into a movie until 2011, Maggie Smith would be nearly 80, provided she is still alive! So there is a sense of urgency to get these works out, but not necessarily because of the child actors.

Lemonfix said:

Oh yes, Snape is gonna get it, my guess is that he dies doing something heroic.

I've felt that way since Prizoner of Azkaban, actually. I think he'll die doing something to save Harry specifically.

Oh, and on another note-- what if it's not Harry himself that's the horcrux, but the SCAR????

IrishDawg said:

So it's 3 girls now, eh Jake? :wink:

Not a big deal. At a year and a half between movies, they wil be 20 or 21 when the last movie comes out. That is not too old to play 17 year olds.

While I haven't had time to think about the plot to add to this, I just wanted to poke in to say that I loved the book and love this thread! :)

I do believe that Dumbledore's portrait will be very helpful in the progression of the story next book if Dumbledore himself doesn't return.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Oh, and on another note-- what if it's not Harry himself that's the horcrux, but the SCAR????

I've been wondering that myself. What if it's just the scar tissue? Surely that could be removed and destroyed without harming Harry himself? :hmm:

I also hope Harry and Ginny will reconcile in Book 7. I thought they were sweet together. Was also happy to see Tonks and Lupin together -- if anyone deserves a good break, it's Lupin. And I was very pleased to see that Fleur didn't reject Bill because of his scarring. :)

Sue DeNym said:

I've been wondering that myself. What if it's just the scar tissue? Surely that could be removed and destroyed without harming Harry himself? :hmm:

I also hope Harry and Ginny will reconcile in Book 7. I thought they were sweet together. Was also happy to see Tonks and Lupin together -- if anyone deserves a good break, it's Lupin. And I was very pleased to see that Fleur didn't reject Bill because of his scarring. :)

Yeah, the scenes with Fleur at the end were HEARTBREAKING.

And about the scar, JK has said it would be of great importance towards the end of the series, and I think it'll be used for
more than just tracking Voldy down.

I just finished it and damn... My head is spinning.

I just finished book 5 Friday night, so not only did I just have to deal with Sirius's death, but now Dumbledore's, too. I agree with the people who say that DD's death was a natural progression, but I'm also of the camp that says he'll be making a comeback in book 7.

As for Snape, I'm a Snape lover, so I'm hoping that all of the theories about him still being on the good side are true. The more I think about the last part of the book, when DD is pleading and such, it makes sense.

I'm glad that Harry wasn't so whiny in this one, and that Ron and Hermoine look like they'll be hooking up soon. I wasn't thrilled with Ginny as Harry's girlfriend, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I need to get to bed but I just wanted to say I am so happy that I was finally able to open this thread and read everyone's thoughts on the new book. It was torture! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom