Harry Potter predictions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scholastic Books filed suit today against a distributor who shipped the books out early. That's how people got their books. J.K. Rowling, meanwhile, issued a statement asking everyone to just wait two more days until the books go on sale, and then we'll all legitimately know what happened.

Here's the article on the lawsuit.

Scholastic to take legal action on leaked Potter books
Publisher urges customers to keep books under wraps
By Angela Moore, MarketWatch
Last Update: 3:16 PM ET Jul 18, 2007

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Book publisher Scholastic Corp. on Wednesday said it was taking immediate legal action against two companies that distributed the latest Harry Potter books to customers before it goes on sale on July 21, and urged those who received the books to keep the packages hidden until the official release.
Scholastic (SCHL) , which distributes the wildly-popular Harry Potter books in the United States, said the number of books shipped early is about one-hundredth of 1% of the total U.S. copies slated to go on sale at 12:01 a.m. on July 21, and is the result of a breach of the on-sale agreement by distributor Levy Home Entertainment, and shipments made by DeepDiscount.com, a customer of that distributor.

The book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," is the seventh and final installment in the series of books by J.K. Rowling about an orphaned boy wizard with magical powers. The release of the book comes just days after the movie version of the fifth book "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" hit theaters. The series has a large following and has been credited with sparking interest in reading among children and young adults.
New books in the series have been released to great fanfare with shoppers -- sometimes in costume -- lining up well before the books go on sale at midnight.
Scholastic said it is "especially grateful" to the other retailers and distributors for keeping the books secure until the release time.
"The fans themselves have made it abundantly clear that they are looking forward to going to the midnight parties, receiving their very own copy of the book and finally getting to read the book they have so anxiously awaited," Scholastic said in a statement.
Scholastic shares were down fractionally at $35.33 in afternoon trading.

IrishDawg said:

Yeah I think we'll see more of the veil because Dumbledor never even told Harry what it is. And he usually explains everything that is unexplained.

:no: I don't think so. The veil was in the department of Mysteries, if someone knew what it was, such as Dumbledore, I highly doubt they'd still have it in that part of the Ministry of Magic.

silvrlvr said:
Scholastic Books filed suit today against a distributor who shipped the books out early. That's how people got their books. J.K. Rowling, meanwhile, issued a statement asking everyone to just wait two more days until the books go on sale, and then we'll all legitimately know what happened.

Just to clarify, I don't have the physical book. Mine arrives at work on Saturday, and I'm in training off-site Mon-Wed so I won't get a hard copy until Wed. (and plan to save it for my vacation).

How did they think they could distribute the books and get away with it? lol

Liesje said:

Spoilers!....I have the entire BOOK already! It's very long, thank goodness. I'm soooooo tempted to just read the first chapter. Gah!!

Liesje said:

Just to clarify, I don't have the physical book. Mine arrives at work on Saturday, and I'm in training off-site Mon-Wed so I won't get a hard copy until Wed. (and plan to save it for my vacation).

you originally said you have the book....now you don't??????????? I think we're all a bit :scratch: :scratch:

I have it on the compy, it's not in book form. I mainly wanted to see how long it was, how many chapters, etc.

Kiki said:

:no: Justin, you even said it yourself in this thread that you're not a Harry Potter fan. What are you gonna do? Read the last few chapters and ruin it for us all in here?!:madwife:

No, but I do know what happens I was looking giving it to my older brother who is a fan.

Justin24 said:
No, but I do know what happens I was looking giving it to my older brother who is a fan.

Tell your brother to wait two more days, and to buy it from a local, independently owned bookstore - one of the stores who can't afford to sell it at such reduced prices. :up:

Liesje said:

How'd you get it so early?

Justin24 said:

Just three more days.....I only got it to see if what my co-worker was reading was legit (it was). She'll probably be done with it by tomorrow, in which case I'll have to wear ear plugs to work (not that that's such a bad idea anyway). I'm glad I have training next week, b/c the geeks I'm training with would be very unlikely HP fans, so it will be easier to save the book. It's not that I need to read it instantly, but I don't want anyone else to SPOIL it for me!!

I'm going to buy it on Saturday, and then read the whole thing and do my best to avoid even approaching the internet until I'm done.

I told my friend I didn't know if I'd make his band's gig Saturday night; it would depend on how far I'd gotten in the book. :wink:

:lol:

I'm kind of laughing at myself, because while I've enjoyed the books, I've never been one of the "MUST READ IT ON THE FIRST DAY IT's RELEASED!!!" kind of fans.

But I'm really curious to see how it ends, and want to be able to follow along with internet drama if/when a major character or five kicks the bucket. I don't want to miss a moment of it! :wink:

corianderstem said:
:lol:

I'm kind of laughing at myself, because while I've enjoyed the books, I've never been one of the "MUST READ IT ON THE FIRST DAY IT's RELEASED!!!" kind of fans.

But I'm really curious to see how it ends, and want to be able to follow along with internet drama if/when a major character or five kicks the bucket. I don't want to miss a moment of it! :wink:

Yeah, the past books have been easier to put off b/c there's not the looming threat of spoilers. I bought and read the 6th book over a month after it was released. I also like to take my time, it will probably take me a week or so to read this book. I find that if I'm reading it just to finish it, I'm not paying attention or enjoying it. That, and I'm getting a dog next week so....

im going at midnight on friday and staying up all night with a nice cup of coffee to read it
:D im a harry potter freak!!

she better bring back sirius just for a bit and not kill off lupin otherwise ill be upset.

I thought about going to a midnight sale, but I don't think I can handle hundreds of excitable younger people in a mad rush in the store. I can wait until 10:00 the next morning for my local bookseller to open her doors. :wink:

corianderstem said:
I thought about going to a midnight sale, but I don't think I can handle hundreds of excitable younger people in a mad rush in the store. I can wait until 10:00 the next morning for my local bookseller to open her doors. :wink:

Actually, if you go to Target, you will find the book for half the price and not have to worry about it being sold out. I've done this for the past 2 years. Silly hardxcore fans never think of Target and get all upset when the bookstores sell out. :wink:

IrishDawg said:

Actually, if you go to Target, you will find the book for half the price and not have to worry about it being sold out. I've done this for the past 2 years. Silly hardxcore fans never think of Target and get all upset when the bookstores sell out. :wink:

I think she's wanting to support a local bookstore instead of a huge chain (see earlier response to Justin).

I'd wait a week to get mine except I had a gift card for Barnes & Noble and also needed some learning theory books that I need to have read before next Friday, so I pre-ordered online. :shrug:

I know, I'm really conflicted. On the one hand, I like the idea of spending less money. On the other hand, those poor independent booksellers don't stand a snowball's chance in hell in the face of Harry Potter.

I may yet cave and go to somewhere it's cheaper, and then I can afford a second book as well. :reject:

I'm actually back at Books-a-Million over the summer to tide me over until I leave for grad school, but managed to negotiate myself out of working the midnight party. My fiancee and I are going to be going to see the movie in an imax theater, then we're headed to dinner and pick up the book. Conveniently, there is an Olive Garden next door to the Border's where we're pre-ordered. :drool:

I am, however, making a mix CD of my favorite songs from all five films for the store to play during the festivities. I'm pitching in my 16 bucks worth in downloads, I think that counts for some small something.

Still, I see the 105 cartons of the book we have in the back and feel bad for everyone who has to work that night.

Liesje said:

Yeah, the past books have been easier to put off b/c there's not the looming threat of spoilers. I bought and read the 6th book over a month after it was released. I also like to take my time, it will probably take me a week or so to read this book.

I'm dreading going to work all next week. Not only will it keep me from reading the book, but as a pediatrician, it's practically the only thing that's going to be discussed by everyone I encounter next week!

IrishDawg said:

I think I'll go to target, nice idea. :up:
I'm going up to my grandparents' on saturday and they've preordered a copy but, especially knowing I'll be spending time with family rather than reading, I don't think I can stand to sit at the airport/on the plane watching people read it or hearing them talk about it. wasteful i know :reject: hopefully I can return it or gift it or resell it or something (the extra copy).

I have it pre-ordered, but I leave town on the same day and need to do summer reading.

Fuck it, I'm reading HP7.

I am tempted to bittorrent it (that's how it leaked) only because that way I know I can avoid being spoiled. I'm deterred because I've never been to a midnight release, I don't want to encourage ruining it, I'm afraid I'll be spoiled somehow just going to a bittorrent dl site, and mostly I'm pretty sure scholastic will be collecting all those IP addresses for a lawsuit.

And nothing competes with the tactile feeling of turning real pages in a real book.

I am working from home until Friday so I'm hoping to avoid contact with the outside world, except the two baseball game's I'm going to. My fingers will be inches from my ears ready to block them and go "LALALALA" like a 4 year old.

Back
Top Bottom