Harry Potter predictions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt Snape bluffed an AK in front of several DE's.

Pettigrew will replay the life debt he has towards Harry, right under Voldemort's nose. I can see Snape redeem himself, but the rat will die.

I'd like to see Lupin bond with Harry some more. At least someone from the Marauders ought to survive.

A lot of people say R.A.B. is Sirus's brother...but that just seems too obvious and too easy. I think R.A.B. is someone we haven't met yet.

I don't believe this. I started an HP thread THREE days ago in anticipation of the book and the film, and nobody bothered to reply to it--and it's still up there close to the top. Just because I don't frequent this part of the site (I post in Free Your Mind). I spent a CONSIDERABLE amount of time posting, sharing my experiences as a staff member at a bookstore doing the book parties for Books 4 and 5, my thoughts on seeing the series end, HP's place as a work of literature, my experiences seeing the origional Star Wars series in the theater as a kid in 1977-83, and comparing that to the HP book releases, and my predictions for Book 7.

And nobody really bothered to reply. I was so excited and wanted to know what you thought. If you go check my thread, "For Harry Potter Fans", you'll see what I mean. It's a VERY long post. But I guess I'm a stranger here and I'm not important. Sorry to be such a grouch but I'm too tired to post all that again. Sorry I wasted my breath.

For that, before I get my two Sickles in this thread, (*I* don't care about replying in a thread started by people I don't know), I'm going to share my thoughts on Film 5.

It goes without saying that these are

*************MASSIVE MOVIE SPOILERS****************

So read at your own peril!!

I went to a midnight screening last night ans was going topost a review but was too tired. I bought my tix 4 days ago but when I got there 2 hrs early, there must have been 400+ people in line already. The theater was in a mall so there was room for huge lines. They opened up 4 theaters and they all sold out! All adults too. Not even any preteen kids there you could keep up past midnight. I judged that I was halfway through the line. Luckily I had tix in the first theater sold so I managed to get a seat very close to where I wanted.

The film was great, I'd say it was one of the two best, In fact I'd say it WAS the best one, I'd say that Yates took up where Cuaron left off, except for one or two glaring flaws. Here are some random thoughts.

THE GREAT:

1) The battle at the Ministry. This, along with the Yule Ball, is one of the two best scenes of the whole series so far and IMO, it ranks as one of the best film scenes of the decade. I predict this scene will become famous--at least until 2010, when we see Film 7 and the final battle of the war. Yes, the Graveyard scene was great too, scary and powerful, but it was too short and in some parts Voldemort sounded too much like, well, Ralph Fiennes.
:wink: But here Fiennes fully realizes his part. He has grown into Lord Voldemort, just as Daniel Radcliffe has at last fully grown into Harry. Which brings me to the other great thing about this scene and the film: Dan's acting. There is a scene towards the end which is incredible, spellbinding, and it truly shows Dan's potential as an actor to become one of the future greats. I ABSOLUTELY willnot say any more, but the huge color pic in yesterday's New York Times review is a clue. You've seen the picture; now here's the scene. The music is incredible in this scene too--a very "Fellowship of the Ring"-death of Boromir effect, remeniscent of Howard Shore's score for the last 20 mins of FOTR. If only the whole score could have been like this....

2)The Order of the Phoneix. Yates does a good job of presenting them, their history, etc. And it is BEYOND COOL seeing them in action. Coolest thing of the whole film: you know how the Death Eaters appear coming swiftly downards from clouds of gray smoke when they are called by Voldemort in the Graveyard in GOF? Well, Yates has the Order appearing at the Ministry battle in the same way, but in clouds of white vapor. This got cheers in the theater and I must say it was awesome to see Mr. Weasley appear in such fashion. Mr Weasley kicking butt! And Micheal Gambon behaving more like Dumbledore was great too.

3)The visuals. The Ministry has a creepy Orwellian look no doubt inspired by Fritz Lang's black and white 1927 silent classic, "Metropolis." If 1984 were ever put on film again, it would be inspired, hopefully, by this. Yates hired a celebrated Polish cinematographer and it shows. The whole film is presented in what I'm calling a "Matrix" palette. If you remember, in "The Matrix", all the scenes in the Nebuchednezzar (the real world) were in dingy blue, gray, black, with drab interiors; and all the scenes in the Matrix were lush and colorful. But, as you recall, the Matrix was the place of comfortable slavery, while in the real world you lived a life of hardship but you were free and fighting for freedom. That's the gist here. The only color in the film is in scenes with Umbridge, with her office being the biggest splash of color of all. (Her office: I won't give this away. It's priceless.) Oh, and when they're not in their school robes, the kids all wear colorful clothes, esp Ron and Hermione. The overall effect is jarring, to say the least. More than any other film, the borders between the wizarding world and our own seem to vanish, but instead of this presenting a charming effect, (like Fudge's servant using his wand to snuff out a car alarm at the Leaky Cauldron in POA) it's downright creepy. Yate's purpose is to cement the political parallels between Book 5 and our own world, and it succeeds brilliantly. Stun me for saying it, but I can see why some of the critics are nitpicking about the lack of whimsy and wonder here.

4) Evanna Lynch. The critics ARE right; she's wonderful as Luna. I'm hoping against hope that Yates puts the Quidditch back into Film 6; Quidditch has no place here and thank God it didn't get in. Ron and Hermione are set to largely domiate Film 6 just as Harry dominates Film 5, but just as in Film 5 when the last 20 minutes yank the drama up another 10 notches, I predict that The Cave will change everything--just as it does in the book. I thoight nobody could do The Cave better than Cuaron, but this guy just might be able to do it even better. So Ron and Hermioner'going big in Book 6 is just fine. And to that end, if Quidditch comes back, I HOPE we see Luna doing the commentary. PRICELESS.

5) Snape and Harry. The Occlumency scenes were even better than the book, IMO, because of the unique way Yates presents the flashbacks. It's not easy to describe; you have to see for yourself. Alan Rickman is BRILLIANT (to quote Ron) and this has me chawing at the bit for Film 6 and 7! The tension and electric feeling in the air during every scene Snape is in are fanstastic. And the scene Snape is in with Doleres, when she "evaluates" him, is priceless.

THE GOOD:

1)The Thestrals. Flawlessly realized. Luna's scenes with Harry and the thestrals (sp?) are touching and beautiful. Note to Yates though: if only some people are able to see them, why can everyone ride them? :ohmy:

2)Grawp. He's adorable. And the forest scenes are great--esp with Umbridge! This got a lot of cheers in the theater. Dragged on a bit too long though. And I miss Grawp saying "Hermy!" He doesn't here. Hagrid does briefly tell the tale of going to the giants--but sadly Olympe is not mentioned.

3)Harry and Cho's kiss. Perfect, and the Mistletoe effect was charming. But there is not enough dialogue between Harry and Cho and the audience never really sees just what Harry sees in her. There's some discussion of Cedric but not enough to develop their relationship in general.

4)The twins joke shop business is presented and the Extendable Ears are great. We see the Skiving Snackboxes in action (LOL) and the escape from the school is great (no swamp though!) but the giant "W" in the sky is a bit corny.

5) Apparition. We see people Apparate but they just appear. But there is no *CRACK* sound and I have to say I'll never HEAR Apparition sound the same way again. This really bugged me for some reason.

6)Sirius. His scenes with Harry are perfect. You see how he is pained at haivng to treat Harry as an adult and how he can't have his best pal back. I have to say though: is that tattoo on his chest Gary Oldman's, or the Sirius character's? You do get a sense of how Sirius must have been the HOT swinging bachelor before he was taken to Azkaban, and how Azkaban changed him. Darn, I want to email Jo and ask for a pic of Sirius at 23!:drool:

7)Finding out what everyone's Patronus is. I won't give this away! Hm. What would be my Patronus? An Arabian horse. That's a good question actually. What would you like your Patronus to be if you could have one?

8) Contrary to rumors, we DO see Mr Weasley getting attacked by Nagini and we "see" it through Harry's eyes. It's quite gruesome and Yates does this brilliantly. THis more than anything proves Harry is a Horcrux! However, we do NOT see him recuperating it St Mungo's. I was really bummed at St Mungo's not being shown--out of all the places in the Wizarding world I wanted to see the hospital onscreen but I can see why it wasn't there--it did not fit the mood of the film and would have been too cutsie. However, not seeing Neville and his parents is an unforgvable omission--but we do see Neville talking about it later on, as we are presented with a closeup of the old Order pic and we see what they used to look like.

The UGLY:

And I'm sorry to say, there are a couple of GLARING flaws. These are unforgiveable and I'll have a hard time getting over them

1) Snape's Worst Memory. This is presented merely as a "reverse flahsback" during the Occlumency scene, and it whizzes by in something like 15-20 seconds. We see glimpses of the Murauders, mostly James, but WE DO NOT SEE LILY. Or if we do, it's only in the background of the pack for 2 seconds and she NEVER SPEAKS. Honestly, it'll take a couple of viewings for someone to tell if she's even there. Only a couple of lines, from James. Snape never speaks either. We do not see Lupin hardly either. Apart form the unforgivable lack of dialogue from Snape and LILY, this scene has less of an impact to the overall story arc when it is presented as just another of the film's many flashbacks. It would be more effective if it was shown for what it was: a very imprtant memory hidden in the Pensieve. The non-fan has no idea how important this memory is to Snape,. and thus Film 7 is going to be a problem. I'm hoping this is b/c Steve Kloves, the scriptwriter for the other films, is not on this one; he'll be back for the others. If Harry has walked to the Pensieve and seen the memory like in Film 4 when he saw the trial of Karkaroff, that's the way it was supposed to be shown; and at a similar pace.

2) the Courtroom for the trial did not have a menacing enough feel. There's no cinematic continuity between it and Film 4. The book says that Hary was tried in old Courtroom 10, a dungeon, ie the same courtroom Karkaroff was tried in. Harry recognized it from the Pensieve. But this room is not menacing enough. The floor is done out as two Eyes though, a brilliant metaphor by Yates. And Mrs Figg looks different.

3) the score. And this is a big one for me, perhaps the biggest of all. The music for the Minstry scene was everything I hoped it would be, big and grand and dramatic, but the lack of it, and of lietmotifs or strong cues in general, was a sore disappointment to me. With this film's political themes it was an opportunity for some grand Ennio Morricone style stuff (too bad he's gone!) but there is hardly any music in the first half of the film. Umbridge;s theme, the only real motif is juanty and strikes a decent note and the only reminder that this is supposed to be a kid's film, but inother places Hooper strikes all the wong notes. The Dumbledore's Army scenes are accompanied by lighhearted, sweet flute peices that are all out of joint and ruin Yate's supposed purpose of showing a dramatic secret student rebellion in the making. It makes the Room of Requirement scenes too cutsie for me. And I'm sorry, this bothers me b/c I can visualize how someone like Howard SHore could have scored this. Yates contrasts the ROR scenes with Umbridge's growing "reign of Terror" but the cute music lessens the effect. Hooper is good at scoring the "horror" scenes but little else. The abscence of John Williams's work does not bother me as much as some critics, but there's nothing in its place. The score for GOF was GORGEOUS and the Harry/Cho theme (in the owlery) and the Yule Ball were so great (esp as you hear it over the closing credits) were so great I went around humming it for days. Absolutely magical. SO good I thought Williams had written it and I was flabbergasted to find out he didn't. Hooper said it was hard to follow JW but he didn't try hard enough.

I'm a huge fan of Film scores and place great emphasis on film music in general. Lots of otherwise bad films have been rescued by great music. Conan the Barbarian for one. I guess this goes back, again, to the impact the Star Wars scores had on me seeing them in the theaters as a kid. You have no idea what hearing that music for the first time in a theater did to an 8 yr old kid. Howard Shore for LOTR had a similar effect.

*************END MOVIE SPOILERS******************

As to my hopes for the book--I'll reply more in future but my big hope for Book 7?A big dramatic 4 pg long death scene for Snape where he sacrifices himself to save the cause and Harry. A big tearful confession from Snape to Harry as he dies in Harry's arms, about how he loved Lily And how he took an Unbreakable Vow to destroy the moster who murdered the girl he loved and the only one who was ever kind to him. Harry suddenly does not wan t him to die. LIke Luke not wanting Vader to die at the end of ROTJ. And we find out later that Snape's sacrifice was in vain b/c it was not enogh,it only weakened Voldemort but not fatally.

Yes, I'm in the "Harry will die" camp. On Mugglenet.com, the big HP site, there was an interview with JO (VERY FUNNY!) posted where she talked aobut writng the last chapters of the book. One of the last chapters, she started "howling") and got drunk on a bottle of champagne at the hotel mini-bar and staggered home with mascara running down her face, still crying. What could have set that off? Killing Draco or Hagrid?I don't think so! She also said Book 7 was going to be "a bloodbath" but then tooit back. HA HA. . That gave it all away!

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
I don't believe this. I started an HP thread THREE days ago in anticipation of the book and the film, and nobody bothered to reply to it--and it's still up there close to the top. Just because I don't frequent this part of the site (I post in Free Your Mind). I spent a CONSIDERABLE amount of time posting, sharing my experiences as a staff member at a bookstore doing the book parties for Books 4 and 5, my thoughts on seeing the series end, HP's place as a work of literature, my experiences seeing the origional Star Wars series in the theater as a kid in 1977-83, and comparing that to the HP book releases, and my predictions for Book 7.

And nobody really bothered to reply. I was so excited and wanted to know what you thought. If you go check my thread, "For Harry Potter Fans", you'll see what I mean. It's a VERY long post. But I guess I'm a stranger here and I'm not important. Sorry to be such a grouch but I'm too tired to post all that again. Sorry I wasted my breath.

:eyebrow:

Dude, get a grip. If you had taken thirty seconds off the hour you took to write your thread, you would have found this thread. It's never been further back than the first or second page, so it's not like you'd have to search hard. Or you might have noticed the three threads dedicated to the movie on the first two or three pages of the Zoo Station section of the forum.

It's all fine to be "new" and not know the structure of a forum (i.e., your movie review belongs in the Zoo Station thread), and to be disappointed that no one replied to your thread....but it's something different entirely to get insanely pissed off at people who decide to post in an already-established thread. :confused:

Honestly, I wouldn't even be replying to this post if you didn't act like somebody had killed your firstborn child.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. Harry Potter rules. :wave:

Alfonso Cuaron set the new standard for making Harry Potter films, btw. :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:
Alfonso Cuaron set the new standard for making Harry Potter films, btw. :up:

Absolutely. I'm seeing 5 tonight and I'm psyched. Not having seen it yet, however, Azkaban is by far the best of the four.

I can't even watch Sorcerer's Stone or Chamber of Secrets anymore, they're nothing to shake a stick at.

Azkaban isn't just a great Harry Potter film, but a great film period.

Emma Watson shines in Azkaban. I love when she says, "You're dying.....both of you." In Goblet, she, like Dumbledore, were made to be too over-the-top and underappreciated. I think she's the best actor of the three....I'm hoping she shines again in 5.

Me too, she's my favorite of the kid actors. :up:

I still don't buy Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, especially when he manhandles Harry during one scene in HP4. That really bothered me.

This is probably too far fetched, but Peter O'Toole could've been great as Dumbledore 2.0.

Teta040 said:
I guess I'm a stranger here and I'm not important. Sorry to be such a grouch but I'm too tired to post all that again. Sorry I wasted my breath.

For that, before I get my two Sickles in this thread, (*I* don't care about replying in a thread started by people I don't know).

ok....as the person who started this thread I don't take kindly to the way you make it sound as if I've turned anyone against you. Get a grip. It's not like I've gone through threads and said not to post in your thread, so chill out.

It's definetly NOT my fault that people in another part of the forum didn't respond to your thread, nor is it anyone else's fault in this thread, so stop playing a victim to something that's no ones fault.

:madspit:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I can't even watch Sorcerer's Stone or Chamber of Secrets anymore, they're nothing to shake a stick at.

Azkaban isn't just a great Harry Potter film, but a great film period.

:rockon: I totally agree especially with that last part. I thought this whole time that I was crazy to think that was the best so far. (well....I've not seen OOTP yet, so we'll see.

anyway......doesnt anyone find it sort of strange that Wormtail and Snape are found together at the same cottage at the beginning of HBP? I've been waiting for someone to bring that up...but it just seems strange to me.

That and....what if maybe Dumbeldore made Fawk's a horcrux. Did I say that already? hmmm...I dont think so....anyway it's just a thought I had. Maybe he really is living through Fawks now.
:shrug:

and sorry for my little rant above :slant:
but I don't like being made to feel that I did something wrong when I started this thread a few weeks ago and his was only started 3 DAYS ago.

LemonMacPhisto said:

This is probably too far fetched, but Peter O'Toole could've been great as Dumbledore 2.0.

Yes! He reminds me so of Richard Harris. I have never gotten used to Michael Gambon.

Or they could have just transferred Ian McKellen from LOTR to Harry Potter... ;)

Utoo said:

:yes: She didn't touch on the mirrors in HBP, and I don't expect that they're gone forever.

Didn't Harry smash his mirror by throwing it inside his trunk at the end of OoTP, when he realized it wasn't working? Or maybe I just shouldn't read when I'm almost asleep. :wink:

flaming june said:

Yes! He reminds me so of Richard Harris. I have never gotten used to Michael Gambon.

Or they could have just transferred Ian McKellen from LOTR to Harry Potter... ;)

Christopher Lee's apparently on standby for any huge fantasy movie series, too.

If Alec Guinness were still alive, he'd be the perfect Dumbledore, too.

After watching Film 5 yesterday and seeing the scene towards the end where Voldermort enters Harry's body and speaks through him (spooky green eyes and all), Iwas thinking that Book 7 will have that happen again to a much larger extent, and then Harry's 'followers' will have to face the prospect of having to destroy Voldermort by killing Harry as well.... yikes....

Undoubtedly there is a connection between Harry and Neville - I like the idea that the prediction is really about Neville and that Harry is kind of like a 'decoy' (and a pretty damn good one at that!) for Neville to assume the true prophecy.

Perhaps Harry's scar is a Horcrux??? Apparently the very last word in Book 7 is "scar" ....

And yes, us lucky Aussies get the book at 9 am on Saturday morning, so we have the entire weekend to digest it, but I thought that it was being released simultaneously around the world? It doesn't seem fair if it isn't. I won't divulge anything before others have had a chance to read, though. :up: I'm a 6th grade teacher and may have to be "sick" on Monday if I haven't finished it, as my students will surely read the final chapter and spoil it for me!

I honestly can't wait... I haven't been gripped by a suspence and apprehension like this for years!!

flaming june said:

Didn't Harry smash his mirror by throwing it inside his trunk at the end of OoTP, when he realized it wasn't working? Or maybe I just shouldn't read when I'm almost asleep. :wink:

True---I'd forgotten that. I still wonder, though, if they may come into play somehow.

Just saw the movie, and I now have these two predictions based on the film (assuming that JKR had these moments put in, which it did seem to me):

1). Sirius WILL be back. Harry's last conversation with Luna was different & I think significantly so. In the book, she's posting signs for her stolen stuff, says it'll come back in the end; she then talks about how her dead mom's still around because of the voices behind the curtain (through which Sirius dies). In the movie, she says something along the lines of "Sorry about your godfather..."......and a bit later, something like, "The things we lose always seem to come back to us in the end, just not in the way we expect them," and it pans to a shot of her shoes hanging from the ceiling. The way they scripted that bit of the conversation, it seemed to be a pretty heavy metaphor for Sirius. Somehow, the lost Sirius will come back to Harry, but not in the way Harry expects. Perhaps as a ghost (as he seems to turn into a ghost in the film instead of falling behind the curtain)?

2). I am deathly afraid that Ron and Hermione are going to die. I had never really put any support into this theory in the past, but now I'm worried. In the book when Voldemort possesses Harry, Harry thinks of the love of his parents & Voldie leaves him. In the movie, Harry thinks of his friends. He tells Voldemort how he pities him because he'll never know friendship and love. Voldemort leaves him & says the "You will lose everything" line. JKR originally said she was killing two people in the 7th book; more recently, I've heard her say she's killing three. The placement of all the friend stuff and the "lose everything" line in the film makes me worry that Harry will indeed lose Ron & Hermione. I still don't really buy it----I still say it's going to be Voldemort plus any of Wormtail/Snape/Hagrid/Harry/Fred or George/anyone else :wink:, but I'm a little more worried than I had been......

Utoo, I'm not a mate, BTW, I'm a gal....but you'd never know that. :wink: my name comes from Empress Teta, a character from the Star Wars Extended Universe.(the novels.)

OK, looking back on that post I agree the first part was a bit harsh. I'm sorry, really.... But if you look at it, it WAS a long post. (of course I don't expect any answers now.) I'm not new to this site, but I don't have a lot of time to post and don't post on any part of the site except News and Free Your Mind. I guess the heat of the political discussions has rubbed off on me.

I had no idea Zoo Station was a film review area, I would have gone there if I had.

Anyway, since I seem to be radioactive at the moment, I'll just bow off here for now. But if I choose to Apparate here in future, am I welcome to join in Book 7 discussion? You guys are saying some great things that I hadn't evden thought of.

I'll say one thing though....in the film, after Sirius falls through the viel, a few mins later there is an "Obi-wan" moment that is NOT in the book..I too went back and reread. Harry hears Sirius' voice, just as Luke heard Obi-wan just after Vader cut him down. Anybody think the two-way mirror will not come back?

And to the person who talked about being scared for Ron and Hermione, I agree. The blatant,in-your-face way Yates constantly pares them onscreen, standing opposite Harry, is jarring to say the least. But I still think that is TOO shocking. I just can't see Jo making Harry live and his friends die. I';d think it would be ther other way around.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I still don't buy Michael Gambon as Dumbledore, especially when he manhandles Harry during one scene in HP4. That really bothered me.

That scene always bothered me too.... so not Dumbledore.

And Peter O'Toole would have been awesome.

The transition of Dumbledore from HP1/2 to HP3/4 has to be the roughest thing I've seen in a movie series. He went from wise and gentle to ill-tempered, loud, and angry.

phillyfan26 said:
The transition of Dumbledore from HP1/2 to HP3/4 has to be the roughest thing I've seen in a movie series. He went from wise and gentle to ill-tempered, loud, and angry.

I totally agree. :up: In the books he's portrayed as a fun loving, nice man, which Richard Harris was able to convey beautifully. I found myself really disliking how Michael Gambon portrayed Dumbledore - he seemed like a completely different character. I hope things are different in this movie.

phillyfan26 said:

He must've been eating too many Cheese Doodles.

phillyfan26 said:

Spoilers for the movie follow!

To be honest, I really enjoyed Harris for the innocent books when he was a sweet loving old man who just had wise words for Harry.
I'm glad to see someone more...um, active, as Dumbledore now with all the battles and stuff. He's not whimsical in the books anymore and in this movie he really shows that he's the baddest muthafucka on the planet. When he appeared in the battle scene I totally said "OH SHIT, SON!"
I still hear Richard Harris' voice every time I read dialogue involving Dumbledore, though.

The movie was fantastic.
The only problems I really had with it were:
That the Snape's Worst Memory scene was wayyy too short. But then again, I love the way it is written so much that I don't think any film would have done it justice. Maybe it's just something that I'll have to love in my own way.
Ron and Hermione were complete bystanders in this movie! I didn't feel a friendship connection between the three of them at all. It was really awkward, compared to the first four movies where they were thick as thieves. But then again, there were a lot more people that Harry had to interact with, so that probably outbalanced the whole thing.

Anyway, I love the film and I totally agree that most of the actors are really starting to feel their characters. Voldemort didn't feel like Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort, but more like Voldemort himself. :up:

I really missed Lupin though. He's been my favorite HP character from the start and he was barely in this movie. They could have at least put him in the rescue scene instead of Mad-Eye! Mad-Eye isn't even important in book 5! :angry:

Richard Harris is perfect for Dumbledore.

Gambon doesn't even come close, especially in that GoF scene where he shakes up Harry. :no:

Utoo said:

True---I'd forgotten that. I still wonder, though, if they may come into play somehow.

Yeah, they still could come into play somehow. Come to think of it, it's not like he can't magically fix it. :der:

Utoo said:
In the movie, she says something along the lines of "Sorry about your godfather..."......and a bit later, something like, "The things we lose always seem to come back to us in the end, just not in the way we expect them," and it pans to a shot of her shoes hanging from the ceiling. The way they scripted that bit of the conversation, it seemed to be a pretty heavy metaphor for Sirius. Somehow, the lost Sirius will come back to Harry, but not in the way Harry expects. Perhaps as a ghost (as he seems to turn into a ghost in the film instead of falling behind the curtain)?

Hmm. Interesting! You could be right. I still haven't seen the film, though.

Originally posted by Utoo 2). I am deathly afraid that Ron and Hermione are going to die. I had never really put any support into this theory in the past, but now I'm worried. In the book when Voldemort possesses Harry, Harry thinks of the love of his parents & Voldie leaves him. In the movie, Harry thinks of his friends. He tells Voldemort how he pities him because he'll never know friendship and love. Voldemort leaves him & says the "You will lose everything" line. JKR originally said she was killing two people in the 7th book; more recently, I've heard her say she's killing three. The placement of all the friend stuff and the "lose everything" line in the film makes me worry that Harry will indeed lose Ron & Hermione. I still don't really buy it----I still say it's going to be Voldemort plus any of Wormtail/Snape/Hagrid/Harry/Fred or George/anyone else :wink:, but I'm a little more worried than I had been...... [/B]

Can't cope. :no:

PlaTheGreat said:

To be honest, I really enjoyed Harris for the innocent books when he was a sweet loving old man who just had wise words for Harry.
I'm glad to see someone more...um, active, as Dumbledore now with all the battles and stuff. He's not whimsical in the books anymore and in this movie he really shows that he's the baddest muthafucka on the planet. When he appeared in the battle scene I totally said "OH SHIT, SON!"
I still hear Richard Harris' voice every time I read dialogue involving Dumbledore, though.

:yes:

It's funny, when I first read the early books, I would picture someone a bit more like Gambon----shorter hair, more energetic---but with all the fun parts added in. There was actually a professor on campus that I was using as an image. When the movies came out, I was initially disappointed with Harris' Dumbledore----he seemed to overly emphasize Dumbledore's age, making him speak so slowly, move slowly, and just not be as exciting and fun as I'd always imagined him. When Gambon took over, I was excited to see some energy injected into the character.

Now, however, and mainly because of the aforementioned scene in Goblet where he rushes at Harry, I actually picture Richard Harris whenever I read Dumbledore. I picture him for both the original, fun stories, and for the serious, kick-ass Dumbledore that is in books 5 & 6. However, if Harris were still alive and playing the role, he'd have to jumpstart his energy level in order to come close to the Dumbledore of recent books. He's a great actor, but from the way he played them in 1 & 2, I just don't see that happening.

In Gambon's defense, I think that some of the negative stuff from the movies is due to the directors & not him. In Azkaban, slapping Ron's busted leg----that's just stupid. Not likely an actor's decision, but either a director's or a screenwriter's. In Goblet---with the over-the-top pace and energy of the rest of the movie (which the Mike Newell practically prided himself on), I really believe that Gambon was directed to practically attack Harry in that scene----just as Emma Watson was made to be fairly over-the-top for most of HP4, as well.

First, a note to Teta - I have been posting in this thread for weeks, partially because while I obsessively read Leaky Lounge for theories and info and to provoke my own thoughts, the last thing I need is another forum to spend time posting on. This thread has been great for me as a smaller forum in which to discuss HP theories. I saw your thread. I am emotionally drained by the thought of reflecting on what Harry has meant to me growing up (for a while I was his age while I read the books...unfortunately he gains a year every 2 real years while I have aged normally) and I have been planning to put some time into reading your post and responding with my own reflections. However, this thread is a prediction thread, your thread seems more of an emotional thread, and you can hop over to Zoo Station if you want to talk about the movies. Also, I am primarily an FYM poster as well, and well parts of LS can be cliquey (OOC) I have never seen anyone on Interference ignore a poster out of spite or anything else you seem to think was going on. I have simply tabled your post because I wish to give it (and my response) the time and emotional attention I think they deserve, while right now my head is spinning with theories and predictions.

Back to the point.

Kiki said:

anyway......doesnt anyone find it sort of strange that Wormtail and Snape are found together at the same cottage at the beginning of HBP? I've been waiting for someone to bring that up...but it just seems strange to me.

That and....what if maybe Dumbeldore made Fawk's a horcrux. Did I say that already? hmmm...I dont think so....anyway it's just a thought I had. Maybe he really is living through Fawks now.
:shrug:

That Wormtail was with Snape is indeed interesting - it seems that one or the other of them was keeping an eye on the other for Voldemort. Wormtail also has very little public use, like Sirius, so he would have to be mostly hidden somewhere.

Dumbledore would never make a horcrux. They are evil, involve a murder (tearing the soul) and further, rip the soul in pieces. His soul was clearly intact. However, I wouldn't rule out him either living through Fawkes or turning into a phoenix at the end of the burial scene - there's a theory out there that in Harry's world, Phoenixes are born of great wizards when they die (that is why you can't domesticate them...except Dumbledore did with Fawkes, so then there are theories about Fawkes being Merlin and DD beint a descendant, etc.). Then there's the theory that Fawkes is the animagi form of Aberforth (also thought to be an animagi goat or dragon). Not sure what will happen, I tend to think very few theories will come true when they get this specific because Jo is a master of surprises that make perfect sense but you never saw them coming. We can figure out what definately won't happen but I don't think anyone will pin down what will.

However, I believe 1) Dumbledore is dead but not gone, enabling him to support Harry but making Harry the leader and decision maker (plus we still need to learn things from DD - how did he destroy the ring?) 2) Phoenixes (Fawkes, that one at the funeral) have something to do with it 3) Aberforth is the new character we've seen but not properly met that Jo has referenced in interviews will play a role in DH.

shika said:
After watching Film 5 yesterday and seeing the scene towards the end where Voldermort enters Harry's body and speaks through him (spooky green eyes and all), Iwas thinking that Book 7 will have that happen again to a much larger extent, and then Harry's 'followers' will have to face the prospect of having to destroy Voldermort by killing Harry as well.... yikes....

Undoubtedly there is a connection between Harry and Neville - I like the idea that the prediction is really about Neville and that Harry is kind of like a 'decoy' (and a pretty damn good one at that!) for Neville to assume the true prophecy.

Perhaps Harry's scar is a Horcrux??? Apparently the very last word in Book 7 is "scar" ....

I don't think Harry's followers will have to kill Harry - if Harry dies, in true great literary form, it will be self-sacrifice. However I am still holding out on Harry surviving the whole thing. I don't believe he is a Horcrux, but it is possible his scar is, however that would require it being an unintentional horcrux (Voldemort make a living being he had no control over a horcrux? and then continually try and kill him?) which I don't think is possible or if Harry had been a horcrux I like the idea that the gleam of triumph in DD's eyes at the end of 4 was because Voldie had cashed in the horcrux by using Harry's blood. Then there is Kieth Olberman's theory that Harry's scar is a horcrux and Snape will tell him how to destroy it without killing himself - but it involves giving up his magical abilities. Interesting to ponder, strong in a litterary sense, but I don't like it. Again, I think JK will surprise us all, predictions are fun for me because they are entertaining and help me ponder the details so that when I read the book I will catch all the little references and hints.

The last word has been changed. It was scar for years and now scar is only close to the last word. I wonder if this has something to do with the reprieve/change in who lives and dies...we shall see.

As for Neville, I agree with DD that it could have been either for that first year of their lives, but as soon as Voldemort attacked Harry he chose his enemy, marked Harry as the one who the prophesy was about.

Utoo said:

2). I am deathly afraid that Ron and Hermione are going to die. I had never really put any support into this theory in the past, but now I'm worried. In the book when Voldemort possesses Harry, Harry thinks of the love of his parents & Voldie leaves him. In the movie, Harry thinks of his friends. He tells Voldemort how he pities him because he'll never know friendship and love. Voldemort leaves him & says the "You will lose everything" line. JKR originally said she was killing two people in the 7th book; more recently, I've heard her say she's killing three. The placement of all the friend stuff and the "lose everything" line in the film makes me worry that Harry will indeed lose Ron & Hermione. I still don't really buy it----I still say it's going to be Voldemort plus any of Wormtail/Snape/Hagrid/Harry/Fred or George/anyone else :wink:, but I'm a little more worried than I had been......

I think if Ron/Hermione die, it will only be one of them. I am desperately hoping the trio and Ginny come through it, but I don't think it's possible. See below for my thoughts on using the film in analyzing book 7 - that scene was not written by Jo. Still, it's possible one will die, especially using a little bit of literary analysis: Ron represents loyalty, Hermione brains, Harry courage, Ginny love, or whatever, so one or more dying would be some sort of grander message. Loyalty or love because Voldemort doesn't know what it is?

Other stuff...
Did Harry actually break Sirius's mirror? I remember him throwing it in frustration but wizard mirrors, especially ones with special functions like that, might not be as breakable as we'd assume. Did it actually say it shattered or sounded like it? I'm still in the middle of my book 5 reread, I guess I'll know in a few days. No matter what, I think the mirror wasn't just mentioned so Harry could get angry at himself for not using it before the MoM fight, it's got a future role to play, so a little "reparo" would be in order. I also like the theory that Harry mgiht go beyond the veil, what with a JK interview from several years ago stating that in book 7 we'd get as close to death as we could without dying or something like that.

Snape. I don't think he's evil. I think his death was planned with DD. But my very first insticnt on him was that he was neither evil nor good - that he has his own slimey agenda and working with DD/under DD's protection served him well. I also don't buy that he would go this far for love of Lily, whom he insulted terribly and who clearly didn't love him back in any lasting way. (Frankly I think the "they were childhood friends" theory is crap.) I know love is one of JK's central themes but that is just stretching it. There is something else driving him against Voldemort that DD knew about. There is a theory that Voldemort killed Snape's mom and framed his dad, possibly to steal a Ravenclaw artifact, but Snape discovered the truth, and I think something like that is closer to what really happened. A little teenage love, even in a pathetic loathable life like Snape's, would not convincing evidence make. Forever damaging his family, Sawyer-style (Lost reference), would.

JK sobbing: I don't like Hagrid as much as the rest of the world, but she's said that he's one of her absolute favorite characters, so I'm hoping it's his death she was sobbing over for my own emotional sake.

But maybe it's the death of Harry's last remaining parental figure(s), Mrs. Weasley and maybe Arthur too. When I was rereading book 4 I was very touched by the scene in the infirmary after Cedric's death when he gets a motherly hug from her and lets go and cries in her arms. In book 5 Harry is included with the Weasley children when they visit Arthur in the hospital. And we all know (if both survive) he'll marry Ginny. If Mrs. Weasley sacrifices herself for him and/or her kids and/or her future daughter in law that would be enough to make Rowling, a mother herself who identifies with Mrs. Weasley's worst fear, sob and sob. The champagne probably came from finally writing something that had been planned for years. I had another idea about this a few hours ago but it's slipped my mind...I guess if it comes true and I recall it you'll have to take my word for it on an "i-told-you-so."

JK could also have cried for a betrayal scene - again I don't like this theory but it's out there that McGonnagall is a spy and Snape is distracting us from it - people point to her letting Crouch get kissed by the dimentor and a few other things, I was just reading last night the scene where she reacts to Harry telling his vision with the snake and now am thinking that him realizing he's connected to Harry could be because McGonnagall has told him. I highly doubt it's McGonnagall, but some sort of betrayal scene, especially one leading to death of a beloved character, could be heart wrenching.

The movie - I don't watch them anymore, I might some day when I've read the whole series through enough times not to have the movies interfere with my canon knowledge and personal vision of the books. I don't think you can take many things in the movies to be forshadowing 7 - the people making the movies have no idea what's going to happen and only once has Jo said that they unintentionally put something forshadowing in a film - that was PoA, which I haven't seen, but I recall that when HBP came out that was what it had forshadowed. JK tells them just enough that they aren't going to be in trouble in the future - no, you can't eliminate this character, hey, maybe save that prop (the locket?)....other than that the movies are not canon, only the books and interviews she has given, and any variations from the books are poetic licence/convenience but are not done by anyone with knowledge of the final book.

I'm jealous you Aussies get it at 9am - not just because it's 5 hours before me (same as the Brits) but because you will be awake when you read it! I'm going at midnight to get my book and planning to read straight through (I did book 6 in 8 hours so I'll be done by noon), but it would be better if I'd had some sleep.

Last edited:
Utoo said:

:yes:

It's funny, when I first read the early books, I would picture someone a bit more like Gambon----shorter hair, more energetic---but with all the fun parts added in. There was actually a professor on campus that I was using as an image. When the movies came out, I was initially disappointed with Harris' Dumbledore----he seemed to overly emphasize Dumbledore's age, making him speak so slowly, move slowly, and just not be as exciting and fun as I'd always imagined him. When Gambon took over, I was excited to see some energy injected into the character.

Now, however, and mainly because of the aforementioned scene in Goblet where he rushes at Harry, I actually picture Richard Harris whenever I read Dumbledore. I picture him for both the original, fun stories, and for the serious, kick-ass Dumbledore that is in books 5 & 6. However, if Harris were still alive and playing the role, he'd have to jumpstart his energy level in order to come close to the Dumbledore of recent books. He's a great actor, but from the way he played them in 1 & 2, I just don't see that happening.

In Gambon's defense, I think that some of the negative stuff from the movies is due to the directors & not him. In Azkaban, slapping Ron's busted leg----that's just stupid. Not likely an actor's decision, but either a director's or a screenwriter's. In Goblet---with the over-the-top pace and energy of the rest of the movie (which the Mike Newell practically prided himself on), I really believe that Gambon was directed to practically attack Harry in that scene----just as Emma Watson was made to be fairly over-the-top for most of HP4, as well.

That makes a lot of sense. :up:

I pictured Dumbledore as the wise, old wizard / Obi-Wan-type. More of an mentor to Harry in the same way Obi-Wan was for Luke, but when the time came, he could kick ass (fight Darth or in DoubleD's case, fight wizards.)

Harris' Dumbledore wouldn't have been able to work in HP3 or HP4, then again, Gambon's wouldn't work for HP1 or HP2.

It has to do with him being such a multi-faceted character in the books that he can't completely be fleshed out in the movies. It's too bad, because I had real high hopes for Movie Dumbledore.

I hope they handle HP6 well on the Dumbledore front, if they don't, the movie will crumble.

Back
Top Bottom