Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows discussion ***SPOILERS!!!*** - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:31 AM
Well, I finished the book this morning around 1 am.

The first thing that I will say is that I am very surprised at how emotional I was throughout the book. I am not a very emotional person, but I realized that I have come to really care about the characters and the world that Rowling has created. I was shocked and deeply saddened by each and every loss. I literally had to put the book down when Fred died. I just couldn't believe it.

I also realized that my reason for loving the HP series has changed. When I read the first few books, I was hooked on the wonder of it all - the innocent exploration of a world that was so fresh and new even while it was old and familiar. As I read through the last book - that broke away from the HP formula so greatly - I realized that I was reading not for a new 'wow' but because I genuinely wanted the characters to survive and be happy. Although I thought she could have easily cut 200 pages from the book by cutting out some of the superfluous conversations - I found myself grateful that she didn't.

I will say that I thought the story itself was weak. It lacked the pace and plotting that the other books in the series contained, but I thought that Rowling really made up for that through her ability to communicate the cost of evil - a price that we all pay - if not with our lives then through the grief of lost innocence.

When I finally closed the book, I was struck that I had two 'desires': 1. I wanted to be a better person. To live in a way that somehow 'honored' other people and 2. that I wanted deeper relationships. I thought she did a marvelous job writing a story of friends and family.

While I thought the epilogue could have done a few different things, I thought it was great. I really appreciate that she didn't tell us what everyone was doing. What happened to everyone. Now I can imagine what happened to all of my favorite characters.

Well, that is probably too much thought to put into a 'children's book', but I really, really enjoyed the ride and will forever be indebted to Mrs. Rowling for the world she created and the story she produced.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:47 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

Even though I never really like the Harry/Ginny relationship because it moved so quickly in the 6th book. It felt like they dated for a week before it ended. But I can live with it. I was never a shipper for anybody in the first place.
yeah same here... i dunno as a character i just never cared much about ginny, honestly i kinda like the idea of harry/hermione but where would that leave poor ron? But generally I've never been much of a shipper either, so I'm not upset about any of the relationships. they're fine.

and i'm sorry guys but nothing is gonna prevent horrible fanfiction...someone somewhere is rewriting their own ending in which draco and harry get married and start their own wizarding school or something

Old 07-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #63
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
Could have been dealt with a LOT better, but still a bloody fantastic end to the series. It's been a long time coming, and that ridiculously gigantic battle of Hogwarts was what I think we all wanted. (Good luck to those who've gotta make that movie).
It'll be like the very last episode of Little House on the Prairie - when they blow the town up so no one else could use the set later for cheesy westerns or other shows.

HAHAHA
Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Oh man Brilliant. How I wish I did this first.

http://break.com/index/harry-potter-spoiled.html
Old 07-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
How I wish I did this first.
Why? What pleasure could you possibly gain out of spoiling the book for a bunch of kids, like those dickheads did? It's weak.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Why? What pleasure could you possibly gain out of spoiling the book for a bunch of kids, like those dickheads did? It's weak.
More like teach them a leason about patience and there are more important things in this world than a kid who flies on a broom and goes on adventures.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:31 AM
More like teach them a lesson that there are jerkwads in the world who get their kicks out of denying others a simple pleasue.

Kids will learn your suggested lessons on their own. They don't need your help.

And hey - whatever it is that YOU get excited about? There are more important things in the world than that, too.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

What they did was harmless fun. It wont stop the people from reading the book and plus remember they did say alot of false stories were going around so no one knows for sure, even though we know the parts they talked about were true. Do you know whats more important than Harry Potter? Going to visit another country, which is where I am going in a few days, my family, that they all stay healthy and well. A hype for a book that will give little pleasure for a few days is that really important?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:58 PM   #69
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
What they did was harmless fun. It wont stop the people from reading the book and plus remember they did say alot of false stories were going around so no one knows for sure, even though we know the parts they talked about were true. Do you know whats more important than Harry Potter? Going to visit another country, which is where I am going in a few days, my family, that they all stay healthy and well. A hype for a book that will give little pleasure for a few days is that really important?
"Harmless fun"? Yeah, upsetting people on purpose is toooootally fun. Whoo-hoo!

And yes, I do know plenty of things that are more important than Harry Potter, thank you very much.

The point is not understanding what's important in life, Justin. The point is purposefully being mean and hurtful. Anyone who says that's fun is making a rather big statement about the kind of person they are.

I understand being annoyed with or tired of all the media hype. But is that the kids' fault? Let them have their fun.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

More like teach them a leason about patience and there are more important things in this world than a kid who flies on a broom and goes on adventures.
Yes. There are loads of things that are more important than children who are interested in reading. Like wasting the whole day posting pointless YouTube links.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:01 PM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

WIN.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Yes. There are loads of things that are more important than children who are interested in reading. Like wasting the whole day posting pointless YouTube links.
Nothing wrong with reading but to create such a huge hysteria for it???

Ok let's stop. I apologize for my comments about this being fun spreading the word on the ending of the book and the character kill offs.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by corianderstem
[B]

"Harmless fun"? Yeah, upsetting people on purpose is toooootally fun. Whoo-hoo!

And it's really fun when you go to the movies and have the little brats or teen brats ruining a movie watching experince cause they can't stop texting or talking to their friends??

Any ways Coria read my above post.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #74
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Do you know whats more important than Harry Potter? Going to visit another country, which is where I am going in a few days, my family, that they all stay healthy and well. A hype for a book that will give little pleasure for a few days is that really important?

What an absolutely ignorant thing to say. Like no one will be reading the Harry Potter books in a few days.

Or in future generations.

It's literature.

It's going to be around for a very, very, very, very, very long time.

Longer than you, in fact.

I love literature.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

I completely understand being tired of and annoyed by the media hype. But is that the kids' fault? Hardly. Turn off your TV or get off the internet for a while. Don't try and ruin people's fun.