Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows discussion ***SPOILERS!!!*** - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2007, 09:46 PM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
http://gawker.com/news/biggest-spoil...nds-280299.php

Best spoiler ever...I had a whole bunch I wanted to look at after the book, and that one is hilarious!
Ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:13 PM
I finished reading it about half an hour ago. I always knew there was a reason why Snape was my favourite character.

It's a little surreal, you know. I first picked up Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone back in 1999 at the age of twelve. I was well aware of the Pottermania at the time, but I thought the books were for little kids, not for someone on the brink of being a teenager. How wrong I was. After thoroughly enjoying the first, I devoured the next two books in quick succession. I can still remember the excitement surrounding the build-up to the release of the fourth book. It was the same thing this time around, except it was mixed in with a bit of sadness. I am not ashamed to say I bawled like a little girl throughout the last few chapters. I'm probably going to have to go back and re-read the whole damn ending, as most of it was blurry. You know, on account of all the sobbing.

I really can't believe it's over.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:56 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I just finished it a few minutes ago.

I even read it in the car and while my friends came over to spend time with me. I must have been the worst friend to anyone today because I really didn't pay attention to anyone except Mr. Harry Potter.

The book was fucking brilliant. BRILL-IANT.
I really hated that I had to read it so fast because I know that I definitely missed a bunch of important details. I hadn't even realized that Lupin was dead until it was mentioned for the second time. Either way, I thought he was treated a little unfairly by JK. I never would have pegged Lupin for acting "cowardly," but I guess the major theme of this book is that people have varying levels. The good and the bad. I can see how Lupin would even be afraid of his own child and afraid of any blame that Tonks or her family would put on him for putting his family in danger. I nearly cried when he addressed Harry in the Pottercast and thanked him for calling him to his senses. You really got the feel that he saw Harry as an adult, especially since he had hurt him earlier. (!)

I really really loved Snape's storyline. He had always been one of my favorite characters, even moreso than Harry. It was obvious to me, from book one actually, that Snape was not a bad guy. He risked his neck for Harry too many times, and it was never because he owed James anything. His last words had so much weight behind them. He wanted to tell Harry the truth, to see Lily's eyes in her son's one last time...it was really chilling. I cried (almost aloud) when I saw that Harry had named his son "Albus Severus" and he said that Snape was one of the best Headmasters that Hogwarts had ever had.

As for the epilogue, I really wanted it, and I'm very glad we got it. It might teeter on cheesy, as some people here have mentioned, but would there be any other way to end such a heavy book? So many people had died, it was only right that the ending be filled with happiness by the new magical generation. No more Voldemort, no more worry. Everything right as rain.

Teddy Lupin! How adorable! That was a complete shock to me and a wonderfully pleasant surprise. Even though Lupin and Tonks had to die. I think it was really fitting to have the Sirius/Harry parallel. Especially since they were close to each other at the end.

Fred's death went by so fast, but I guess that's how it would be in battle.
Dobby's death had to be the saddest in the novel for me. If Fred's death was shocking, Dobby's was ten times over. I cried when Harry wrote the epitaph. "Here lies Dobby, a free elf."

Anyway, I'm very glad that I was away for the week on vacation and avoided every single little spoiler. It really did give me an incentive to read quickly before any word got out. Haha, we left the parking lot avoiding all cars with open windows fearing another "Snape killed Dumbledore" disaster.

I think I'll let it sink in a little longer before I pick it up and re-read a few choice chapters. Especially the chapter with Snape's memory. "Snape's Worst Memory" and this one are two of my absolute favorite chapters.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat
As for the epilogue, I really wanted it, and I'm very glad we got it. It might teeter on cheesy, as some people here have mentioned, but would there be any other way to end such a heavy book?
Plus, this way? Less horrid fanfic spawned by Potterfans needing to find out what happened 19 years in the future.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:08 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Local Time: 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

Plus, this way? Less horrid fanfic spawned by Potterfans needing to find out what happened 19 years in the future.
I like horrid Potter fanfiction
Old 07-22-2007, 01:29 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Although now Rowling has opened up a new can of worms with Albus, James, Hugo, Teddy, Lily and Rose. The fanfiction that will sprout from that will be overwhelming, I bet.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:13 AM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

It was so good...but that freakin' epilogue....I know we were all dying to now what becomes of Neville and also that Ted Lupin seems to be the unwanted child that's not REALLY a part of the family

Ok complaining aside, that's definitely tied as my second favorite book of the series, and if you knew me, you'd know that's a shock, as I was dead set to hate it after those last two books
Old 07-22-2007, 02:27 AM   #53
The Fly

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I finished reading it about half an hour ago. I always knew there was a reason why Snape was my favourite character.

It's a little surreal, you know. I first picked up Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone back in 1999 at the age of twelve. I was well aware of the Pottermania at the time, but I thought the books were for little kids, not for someone on the brink of being a teenager. How wrong I was. After thoroughly enjoying the first, I devoured the next two books in quick succession. I can still remember the excitement surrounding the build-up to the release of the fourth book. It was the same thing this time around, except it was mixed in with a bit of sadness. I am not ashamed to say I bawled like a little girl throughout the last few chapters. I'm probably going to have to go back and re-read the whole damn ending, as most of it was blurry. You know, on account of all the sobbing.

I really can't believe it's over.
I feel the same way... I began Potter in 99 as well, but I was about 14... I waited in line for the midnight release of Goblet... It's really sad for me to think that, despite getting a reasonably satisfying ending, there is no more and that "chapter" of my life is now somehow ended... It's really quite sad.

And that epilogue -- good, but too short and no enough info!!! What about everyone ELSE?! Plus, there are still not enough details about those she does speak of...
Old 07-22-2007, 03:06 AM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shika

I also wanted to see Voldermort react more to the destruction of the Horcruxes.... the fact that he had to go back and check on them was just laughable - surely he would have been able to sense when they were destroyed? Voldermort, in this volume, appeared to be skittish, cartoon-ish, and not the intimidating force that JK had created in earlier books.
Well, I think maybe she was trying to show that Voldemort wasn't an all-powerful, fearless being just as Dumbledore wasn't a perfect beam of light. Surely all the times Harry had evaded death were taking their toll on Voldy. Though it does seem strange he couldn't even sense when the Horcruxes were destroyed... you'd think he'd feel something...

well i thoroughly enjoyed reading the book. I agree that the epilouge was cheesy, but I guess we needed it. I thought the most intriguing chapter of the book was Harry's conversation with Dumbledore. I was kind of hoping Harry was in fact dead and Rowling had actually chosen to take us with him beyond death, but the fact that he was sort of in limbo and had the choice to live or die...that was cool.

the fight scenes are gonna be so cool in the movies
Old 07-22-2007, 04:05 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212
It was so good...but that freakin' epilogue....I know we were all dying to now what becomes of Neville and also that Ted Lupin seems to be the unwanted child that's not REALLY a part of the family
While the epilogue was immensely unsatisfying for what it didn't tell us, and Lupin and Tonks dying did not seem to get the attention it deserved, Ted came to dinner four nights a week and they were excited he was courting a Weasley (Bill and Fleur's daughter...which means he must be rather good looking...). Ted was raised by his Grandma Tonks.

I wanted to know where was George's son Fred, or somebody's son Fred.

I will second the notion that the epilogue at least prevented horrible fan fiction, though it may have spurned a "2nd generation" fan fiction minefield.

Voldemort - it made sense he didn't feel anything, at that point he was so terribly detatched. He didn't even know Harry was part Horcrux; coudn't feel that part dying right in front of him.

What do you guys think about the Dumbledore conversation - was it in Harry's head? Was it Dumbledore using his immense power to come halfway back from the dead to meet Harry, who was halfway dead but still tethered to the living world if he wanted to rejoin it? Was it just a jumped-the-shark plot trick by JKR to allow DD to come back and have the annual chat with Harry and explain it all? for we got some much needed explanations...
Old 07-22-2007, 04:50 AM   #56
Acrobat

I'm pissed Snape died. He was my dawg. He was Mr. Cool. It's cool how he went out, though. of course, this is going by what wikipedia said, haha.

If we aren't allowed to say this, please delete it moderators.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

True, but I thought the epilogue was pretty terrible. Albus-Serverus? God, imagine giving a kid that name.

I'm glad I managed to finish it before someone told me what happened, I was so twitchy yesterday when I went to buy it The saddest bit by far was Dobby's death "Here lies Dobby, a free elf." I thought the whole thing was a bit fast paced, and the last few chapters (bar the epilogue) were amazing Kinda sad it's all over now, ah well.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:13 AM
Ye gods, talk about your lack of closure on a LOT of loose ends... the future of the entire Weasley family bar Ron for one, the various deaths which were almost a "by-the-way" thing, WHO becomes Minister after the 19 years, etc.

Could have been dealt with a LOT better, but still a bloody fantastic end to the series. It's been a long time coming, and that ridiculously gigantic battle of Hogwarts was what I think we all wanted. (Good luck to those who've gotta make that movie).

All in all, yeah, it was enjoyable.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:37 AM   #59
War Child

Why does everyone not like the epilogue? The only problem I have with it is it's not detailed enough, but I love who they married off to who and the happy ending, and the open door for a 'next generation' series someday. Sure, it's just like fanfic, but isn't it better to have that in the real story than to wait for fans to rewrite a miserable ending into something like that? What do you want, sad, lonely, tragic future after al they'd been through? Not for me.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
Why does everyone not like the epilogue? The only problem I have with it is it's not detailed enough, but I love who they married off to who and the happy ending, and the open door for a 'next generation' series someday. Sure, it's just like fanfic, but isn't it better to have that in the real story than to wait for fans to rewrite a miserable ending into something like that? What do you want, sad, lonely, tragic future after al they'd been through? Not for me.

Even though I never really like the Harry/Ginny relationship because it moved so quickly in the 6th book. It felt like they dated for a week before it ended. But I can live with it. I was never a shipper for anybody in the first place.