Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows discussion ***SPOILERS!!!*** - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:23 PM
OH. WOW.

The library where I work has copies on the premises, but supposedly the people who directly handle it had to sign their lives away to get those copies. Anyone else gets their hands on them, they're in Big Trouble.

I can't wait to get my copy. I'm first on the reserve list.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 03:23 AM
Queen Bee, if what you say is true, I can't wait to read the reaction from the film people. Warner Brothers in particular is going to be turning absolute cartwheels trying how to figure out how to put this stuff on screen without skirting an R rating. This isn't like something gruesome like the "Secumesmptra" spell Harry puts on Draco in the bathroom in HBP. In an ideal world, that scene would be in the film version of HBP, but it won't--too busy still catering to the kiddies.

I seem to have read an exact similar list of deaths on Monday. The people who got their books got it Teus. Is this accurate?

The reason I am asking is....

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS******

I have a question. In the already infamous Epilogue (which I HAVE read), it says that Harry's son Albus Severus was named for "two headmasters of Hogwarts..and one of them was the bravest man I ever knew." This implies that Snape becomes Headmaster. Now if he was killed by Voldemort, how could he have been Headmaster?

I mean, Jo has a LOT of explaining to do if both we readers AND the wizarding community at large would accept Snape as replacing the man he murdered. I mean, he can utterly redeem himself, etc, but will the Wizarding public accept him as Headmaster after he killed the former one? And plotwise, how does this work? Snape begins the story as an outcast, and how does he become Headmaster in the course of the story (in order for the plot and Epilogue to match) since he is dead by the end of the year? Evden if MacGonagall is bribed as a spy, and she is out, who would take her place? Hpe are we suppoded to think Snape holds the post so soon? And even if the supposed "plan" hatched by Dumbledore to have Snape kill him for the good of the cause is made public, even if that rights all wrongs in peoples'eyes (it wouldn't be enough to clear away the bad air for a lo tof people in our world, if something like that happened, I'm sure we can all think of real life examples) HOW I repeat HOW are we supposed to believe that Harry would love Snape so much he'd name a child after him? I mean, even if he suddenly was greateful to Snape, respected him, trusted him, etc, how are we supposed to believe that he LOVES him and symbolicaly incorporates him into the Potter family? I mean, a life debt is a life debt, but surely Harry can't forget that six years of hell at the hands of this man, and the murder of his old mentor, a right doesn't fully cancel a wrong. I know I'd have a problem with it!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #18
Refugee

PS. I was talking about the Secumsemptra scene. Hollywood can easily delete that without spoiling a film of Book 6, plotwise. And they can change a spell that people like Sirius die from forFilm 5. But if Jo has people die in particularily gruesome magical ways, esp someone like Snape (I have some idea what might be going on with the graphic Snape scene you printed? Let's hope it's not true--Snape might be a jerk bit there are less horrible ways to die! and if this is his way of repentance there should be less painful ways!) How could Hollywood omit-change something like that??

Come to think of it, if even half the rumors on the sheer numbers of deaths are true, they won't be able to tone down Film 7 at all as the filmmkers have spent the last 3 films getting audiences to know these characters and to skip over their stories in 7 would make no cinematic sense! Deaths of characters that have gotten lots of screen time, even in one film, is not somthing you can skip over and if they all die in different ways in different chapters it'll be difficult to, say, rewrite the plot to have them all safely blasted away in one big battle , to lessen the imapact for the kiddies. Not only would you have to rewite the whole book,which would be VERY difficult, I'm guessing, but Jo would be pissed, not to mention the fans. They'll have to do it very similar to the way Jo has them die. Esp if they are knocked off b/c of the various ways they are magical threats to Voldy's plan.

It'll be interesting to guage Warner Bros.'s reaction... Even though I haven't read it of course, yet, if even half the chapter titles are true, Book 7 sounds like a bloody SHAKESPEAREAN EPIC and they'll have to make it 5 times as dramatic as Film 5. Film 7 will have to be a drama and not a Return of the Jedi flick--though ROTJ is great.

In fact, DH is sounding like it's a lot darker than even Return of the King. Face it, in ROTK, the worst things that happen are Frodo is tortured (but that was SIGNIFIGANTLY toned down in Jackson's film--not to mention in the book he was naked in that Tower scene--there was lots of fun on the Net wishing Elijah Wood would be seen naked in that scene, with maybe a strategically placed orc in the foreground, but alas, no go! ), Sam is tempted by the Ring (again, Jackson changed this for the film), the battle of Minas Tirith where Merry was wounded, Theoden dies, (this was a long and downright gory scene in the book that gave me the willies wheh I first read it, but again, Jackson toned it WAAAY down) and Frodo passes gracefully to the Grey Havens. Of course Frodo's and Aragorn and Arwen's stories are sad but I'm talking violence, death and gore. And oh yeah, Gollum bites off Frodo's finger and falls into the molten pit of Orodruin (Mount Doom) .

But other than a couple of deaths and the sad but beautiful stuff, ROTK wasn't TOO Bad. But this? If the rumors are true, this is going to be like freaking WWII of the wizarding world. HOW will they tone this down???
Old 07-20-2007, 09:21 AM   #19
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 02:23 PM
Spewing that its not Hermonie. If it really is Snape and not hermonie, im burning my books.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:23 PM
so Harry doesn't dies?

maybe I'll still go see that movie... sounds like Die Hard: With a Spell

and a grown up Hermione
Old 07-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
Book 7 sounds like a bloody SHAKESPEAREAN EPIC
Old 07-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

What's a snape?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:03 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:23 PM
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I lost interest after book 2

Old 07-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:23 PM
I'm reading and I don't like the whole "kill all the Jack's favorite characters" thing

also, that thing about Severus and Lily... argh
Old 07-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #25
Refugee

I have no interest in the books or movies, but I did love Snape for some reason.

Oh, and with the way the epilogue sounds, I smell a spin-off series.

Anyone from Australia done with the book yet? I want to know which are true so I can tell my friends who are too lazy to read the books hahaha.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by LikeNoOneBefore
Oh, and with the way the epilogue sounds, I smell a spin-off series.
Wait....I thought JK wasn't going to do any spin off series. I know she's thinking about doing encyclpedia styled books about the Harry Potter universe.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:33 AM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2MaNaIcWeIdO

Wait....I thought JK wasn't going to do any spin off series. I know she's thinking about doing encyclpedia styled books about the Harry Potter universe.

Oh I didn't know that. I'm not really into the books. That was just my observation.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by LikeNoOneBefore

Oh I didn't know that. I'm not really into the books. That was just my observation.
Don't worry about it...I haven't fully read the books either (even though I've seen all the movies)
Old 07-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Am I the first to finish? I mean, of the real readers, and not the spoilers, which were 100% accurate?

Well. I must say, I'm elated beyond imagination that my hopes and dreams of the 4 coming through and naming their babies after the casualties were correct. I started to worry yesterday that Harry would die, and I guess I was sort of right on that count too. When he died, I just had this little belief, I mean I sobbed (all you spoiler fanatics who aren't real fans can now exit the thread after laughing at me) but there was a little piece of me saying that she couldn't do that, she wouldn't, and then he came back.

I still ahve a few questions...I mean, I'm still digesting. I really like that Albus wasn't a perfect little saint, but still rose above his temptations. I hate that Snape's reason was as corny as loving Lily, but for everything that transpired, for what he did in the end, I'm OK with the way Jo made it (though I still prefer the essay version I linked to in the prediction thread, "Draconian Prince, Lame Snape," for moral depth, I guess JKR didn't think of that layer or didn't want that layer in there, and preferred sacrifice for love (though I maintain it's obsessive stalkerish love and truly weird, but I guess I have to accept that it can't be perfect, and it's better than Dumbledore being wrong, and it worked out in the end). I was horrified to be right that one twin would die, so glad to see Mrs. Weasley in the end.

Question: Who the hell raised Harry's godson Ted? His grandmother I guess?

I'm sure there's other questions, I'm off to leaky lounge for now...maybe I'll sleep eventually.

It took me 9 hours to get through, inclusive of a lot of bathroom breaks and making of more caffeinated beverages. I might have to do it again after I sleep so everything sinks in.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #30
War Child

Quote:
Question: Who the hell raised Harry's godson Ted? His grandmother I guess?
Ron and Hermoine according to an earlier post in this thread.

Question: is everything posted by Queen Bee and Canadiens confirmed as true?