Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows discussion ***SPOILERS!!!*** - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2007, 06:03 AM   #256
Refugee

Local Time: 11:02 PM
Hm.....I wish WE had a Harry/LV type mind linkage! I wouldn't mind being an Edge Horcrux....but in a good, non-murdering-manufactured Horcrux way of course....I'd love to be walking around like Harry with a peice of that divine man's soul in me...I wouldn't mind helping him live forever, and he'd have to keep me safe.... Or maybe we could lure them back with Legilimency. Ha ha. One can go wacky and completely fantasize for a minute or two!

(though they might be close to me now...There are some great pics in PLEBA of the Boys and family having lunch in NYC from 2 weeks ago....)

Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #257
Refugee

Okay....back with one more thing....about the aforementioned disgusting caving in by the House Democrats on FISA (or what should otherwise be known to non-Yanks as-- among other things--one MORE way that Bush can "legally" go after you anywhere on the planet using ANY means possible, under no other excuse that you are a potential terrorist, and basically make you disappear with no hope of ever seeing family, journalists or a lawyer ever again)...Really, you folks should realy get reading on this, I have been doing some research on this and I knew it was serious but not HOW serious....and now Bush wants to make it retroactive in September...which basically means that..well, that part just makes me want to vomit. I can't say any more. All I can say is, in addition to also taking the final step in legalizing domestic spying and shielding all those who participate in Guantanamo-like activities from any threat of prosecution, it IMO puts the nail in the coffin to any hope of a Democratic victory in '08. While that may seem a partisan statement to non-Dems on here, it's the METHOD that has me sick, not as much as the result. No other American "leader" ( I use that in quotes with this guy) has so openly and shamelessly broken the law, on so many fronts and with such frequency, and he doesn't even bother to hide it. Does anyone think that this doesn't give Karl Rove greater power to stick his dirty fingers in every pie and shred our electoral "process" any further? Will people's votes ever count LESS in 2008? Can anyone guaruntee that power will not be abused in ways even GREATER than now? Or that the very EXISTENCE of this nefarious new law will someday make it possible for Democrats --should they ever gain power--to turn the tables in revenge? But that won't happen... Oh, for a Dumbledore-like figure who is a person of humility and self-sacrifice!

Before I start a REAL rant,(And I'm half Irish, you have no idea how I can rant! let me finish this post, and then I'll shut up for a while. The List of Shame is partially up: (i.e. Democrats who actually caved in and voted for this peice of filth).
One of these 16 people is a Senator whose name is--I kid you not-- Ken Salazar.

I feel like going into the garden, setting a trap for a snake, removing the dead snake from the trap, drying it out, and sending it to this traitor. Unfortunately he probably isn't an HP fan and won't get the implication. Even if I nailed it to his door with a "wand" through its heart.

Sorry mods for the rant, please leave it up. No more politics in here I promise. But it's just startng to sink in here, how serious this is. And for anyone who applauds the law and thinks it'll stop terrorists, all I can say is, at this point I'm more worried about the terrorists at home. Who are shredding our beloved Constitution in the name of fearmongering while they get super-rich with the dollars we sweat our at what jobs they have left to us...who have idea of the suffering of our soldiers while their children cruise happily in SUV's on the beaches impervious to suffering....allI can say is, the immortal words of Pastor Niemoeller:..."And then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out for me."

What good is it to protect our country from acts of terrorism, while we strip our country of the laws that make being an American citizen so great? If the people have to live in a state of fear from prosecution even when they have done nothing wrong, that may be equal to the fear of that which is (tragically, at times legitimately) coming from abroad? When my fingers pause on the keyboard and I have a thought for even a second about who is going to be reading this post, the goddarned battle is lost right there,IMO. Because when is this war going to stop?

I was re-reading parts of DH today and you'd think Jo was American....it's frightening howon target some of the political stuff in DH is.

I wish we had a KINGSLEY SHACKLEBOLT waiting in the wings!!! (Come tothink of it...hisname is ironic don[t you think, espwhen he becomes MOM? He "locks up" the chains of tyranny. Which we are "Chened" up.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #258
War Child

Teta you rock!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #259
Refugee

someone may have asked this already, but what is the significance behind harry's eye colour? didn't jk say that the fact that he and his mother both have green eyes was a very important piece of the story?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #260
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:02 PM
So Snape could look upon the eyes of his beloved Lily one last time, with his dying breath.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #261
Refugee

um.....thanks Butterscotch....I was going to spare everyone for a day or two but had to go and see if my rant blew up the thread.....I couldn't resist.... I was reading some of your stuff in FYM and thought you were on the Republican side?

Specifically, what part of my post rocked? The epic rant or the Film 7 speculation, and does anyone have any ideas about their Film 6 or 7 screenplay?

In the late 60's, after the mass market paperbacks of LOTR finally went on sale in the U.S. (just think: 10 yrs between hardcover and paperback, and apparently hardcover was a LOT more expensive back then, adjusted for inflation) people began walking around with homemade pins that read, "Gandalf for President." You've probably heard this bit of trivia at some point. This wasn't a media-driven fad; the college kids began it at the grassroots and it caught on. Seriously, I'm still reeling from the "Patriot Act 3" vote on Fri and I feel seriously like making a pin that says, "Kingsley SHACKLEBOLT for President"! I'm designing my own "wand and shackles breaking" logo like the Presidential one)
Old 08-07-2007, 01:06 AM   #262
War Child

Might as well vote for him, better than any of the other options!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:45 AM   #263
Refugee

Yep. Obama doesn't compare. To top this all off I just posted my mini-review of "300" in the ZooStation forum..what was the last movie YOU saw?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:47 AM   #264
War Child

Order of the Phoenix!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #265
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
Ron: "What in the name of Merlin's most baggy Y-Fronts was that all about?" I agree, esp in the Burrow sequence I was shaking with laughter.
I prefer "Merlin's saggy left -" "RON!" myself.

Quote:

I love how the whole "Potterwatch" radio broadcasts was a takeoff on the old underground radio broadcasts in England and France during WWII, esp in France right before and during D-Day, etc....where the whole population out in the countryside was tuned in to the possibilty of the Americans invading and in the days leading up to the invasion everyone would be tuning in, and the Resistance announcer would be doing his regular broadcast, there'd be jazz on the radio or a news bulletin or whatever, and then all of a sudden he'd say, "All right, attention citizens: "The word for today is, 'Tabletop'.....I repeat, 'Tabletop' " or some such word, and that would be the secret signal for a certain segment of the population to go do whatever to make ready...like setup barricades or primitve communication networks or even kill German guards or whatever. The peasant guy would drop his spade and sling on a gun and off they'd go, sometimes the women too. If you've seen the film "The Longest Day", you'd see how this worked-- stirring stuff. Of course the Germans were listening but there were pirate networks etc and they'd have no idea what the code meant, I forget how it actully worked. This is similar to how total mobilization for war used to work in Israel in 56, 67 and 74, etc, before the Net came along. Now they have mobilization messages keyed in to cellphones. Not very romantic....Anyway, the WWII allusions are great.
Cool, that's really interesting. Never knew that bit of WWII history.

As for the political parallels, she outright said she made them in one of the interviews (I believe it was the chat).
Old 08-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #266
Refugee

All of my thoughts on Deathly Hallows is overwhelming me right now...but one question that has been plagueing me.
What in the world did Lily see in James???
Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #267
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, sweetie, I wish that question had been better addressed than just "oh, he grew out of his arrogance." She really didn't like him. I can see her opinion changing over time, but it's hard go buy both that they were truly totally smitten and in love and made for eachother, and that she disliked him that much a few years previously. I've said it before, I wish JKR had added a scene in the Pensieve of James and Lily getting together while Snape spied in the bushes to explain it. Hopefully she'll write up a nice little story for the encyclopedia.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #268
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 05:02 PM
Vari, where can I find a print out of those interviews you quoted a few pages ago? It sounded like it may be on mugglenet or the leaky culdron, but I wanted to be sure first that it is a print up of the interviews. Unfortunetly I don't have the net at home anymore, so I use it here at work and I don't want to get caught looking for an entire 100+ page interview!

I do have to say though to the comment above this one I'm leaving now.....2 things. 1. can you imagine if Lily and Snape had gotten together and been a couple???!!!! and 2. I've heard alot of people wondering if JK will write a story about Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, and Drako's kids, however I've been thinking since I finished the book that she may try to eventually some day go in the direction of bringing this story line totally around for adults.

You know, she did Harry growing up, so our kids and grandkids will have those books, but people a little younger than us that were really the first fans of the series grew up with Harry and his friends. Now their older teens, early 20's. In a few years if she went off and did a more adult version of Ginny and Harry's and everyones lives.....I think that would be cool too.

I've heard other people wondering if she'd do a prequel set of stories that explain more about James and Lily and their families, etc.

Either way I'd be pretty happy to have more come from her!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #269
Blue Crack Addict

Haha I currently have the same lack of home internet. I read the chat interview at work by cutting and pasting it into a word doc so it looked more like something legit.

You can find the stuff she's done since the publication linked here: http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/list2007.html
I was quoting the chat and the NBC interviews.

I can't imagine if Lily and Snape had gotten together - just impossible in my mind. He was never up to her standard, in personality most of all but also in looks (not just, Lily was prettier. There's a personal hygiene standard here!).

She's said she wouldn't be returning to Harry, his kids, etc., though she might write another story based in the magical world she's created (I'd imagine a tale of the 4 founders, or something similarly old, or perhaps something we've never heard of). And she's discussed but not committed to doing an Encyclopedia to publish all the back-story and forward-story on the characters that never made its way into the books. I'm really, really hoping for that, and hoping it will have some James-Lily stuff in it.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #270
War Child

Now all the fanfic people can do a Lily and Snape alternate universe!