Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows discussion ***SPOILERS!!!*** - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #136
Refugee

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoetrope

I was actually waiting for this thread to come back later in the book. It seemed significant that Harry performed two of the three curses and was sure that Avada Kedavra would make an appearance. Oh well.

I almost wish the epilogue wasn't included. It added absolutely nothing for me.
I felt the same way until I read that Harry's son Albus's middle name was Severus. Glad to see Harry finally recognized Snape for who he was.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #137
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:28 AM
I liked that Harry defeated Voldemort with the Expelliarmus (sp) curse, and didn't have to actually deliver a killing curse.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #138
The Fly

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I liked that Harry defeated Voldemort with the Expelliarmus (sp) curse, and didn't have to actually deliver a killing curse.
I had the biggest grin on my face when I read that. It was Avada Kedavra vs. Expelliarmus round two only this time dead people didn't come shooting out of Voldie's wand.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Yeah, I guess that was pretty much foreshadowed earlier in the book when Lupin was sort of teasing Harry about using Expelliarmus.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:59 PM   #140
Refugee

To be honest with you guys, I haven't gotten that far with Unforgivable Curses, except the death blow. That whole thing about the wand spinning through the air was a bit too Hollywood for me, in fact, I still am digesting the whole switched wand thing...maybe b/c I am only beginning the ist half of the book.....whoever directs Film 7 is going to have to really struggle to explain that one. I suppose you can show people digging the wand out of Dumbledore's grave but the whole Draco/Lucius/Gregorovich/Olivander/Harry/Voldemort/Snape wand thing, the whole concept of the Elder Wand is still baffling to me. I need to finish the book, maybe I'llget it better....I mean, the Hollywood suits couldn';t even trust the audience to get the concept of a Secret-Keeper, so they simply have Moody rap a stick on the ground. Since a backfiring wand spell kills Voldemort, they can't cut out the wand thing, which means they'll have to explain it. How?

And the Garden of Eden....WOW!!!! That is, as Ron would say, brilliant.....so who would Dumbledore be then? God? The Archangel Micheal with the flaming sword? Or, considering his now checkered past, the serpent offering dangerous knowledge--or the anti-Serpent? Harry is clearly being "born/reborn." As to what/who/the figure writhing on the ground is, I still have no clue. There are probably as many theories on this one as anything. Initially I thought Harry was simply suspended in an out-of-body experience (and maybe it'snothing more complicated than that, but it would be the cheapest plot device since E.T. just brought himself back to life...but who knows. Jo is supposed to be on the Today show Thursday morning, maybe she'll answer!

I was reading the book on my lunch break today and realized that there is a FANTASTIC bit of unintentional foreshadowing in David Yates's OOTP. We see Aurthur Weasly being bitten by Nagini, not in the stomach as in the book, but in the face area. This will make Snape's death in DH harder to bear as he is bitten in that area too, the neck, and we know that in the rare times when he wants to be, he is also a skilled healer. He could have saved himself from anyone but such a wound from Nagini. Later, in the Christmas at Grimmauld Place scene, we see Aurther back home from St Mungo's, surrounded by his family, wearing a purple paper crown and the bite marks still visible on his face. This is framed in one shot. I thought before DH came out, Where did the crown come from? Now, it's as if Jo told Yates how to set up that scene, it is downright spooky ifshe didn't. Aurthur=the Prince, who was bitten by Nagini and lived, surrounded by a family Snape never had... How chilling....
Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 AM   #141
War Child

Speaking of the Garden of Eden scene, Harry is supposed to be naked. Will this be a nude scene for Dan? I wonder how they'll shoot it, waist up or give him underpants or something?

I don't think the wand thing will be a problem, they can use CGI and in 3 years when it's made, they might have something better.

I hope they use the regular actors aged a little for the epilogue rather than older actors who won't really look like them.

Two more things:

Did anyone hear Emma wasn't signing on for the last 2 movies? That would be a big blow to the series, and her career!

And it's Dan's eighteenth birthday today, so he gets his hands on 20 of his 50 million waiting pounds in that trust fund!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 AM   #142
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040

And the Garden of Eden....WOW!!!! That is, as Ron would say, brilliant.....so who would Dumbledore be then? God? The Archangel Micheal with the flaming sword? Or, considering his now checkered past, the serpent offering dangerous knowledge--or the anti-Serpent? Harry is clearly being "born/reborn." As to what/who/the figure writhing on the ground is, I still have no clue. There are probably as many theories on this one as anything. Initially I thought Harry was simply suspended in an out-of-body experience (and maybe it'snothing more complicated than that, but it would be the cheapest plot device since E.T. just brought himself back to life...but who knows. Jo is supposed to be on the Today show Thursday morning, maybe she'll answer!
I think Dumbledore would be God in this case, as he's always giving the answers. Voldemort would clearly be the Satan/Lucifer figure here; Nagini is even a serpent. I suppose the rebirth thing is a bit Christ-like - everyone believes Harry to be dead, but he returns a saviour. But the clothing thing is more Adam... hmm.

the figure on the ground though...don't know how that fits in. Dumbledore tells Harry he can't help it - does it simply represent evil? is he trying to say you can never cure evil and that it will always exist? or does it simply represent the Horcrux? I kinda feel with this chapter there are two levels to everything. Kinda like in Dante's Inferno how pretty much every passage has multiple meanings (political, spiritual, etc)

Like I said, for me this was the most interesting chapter of the entire series. The train station imagery was perfect.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:37 AM   #143
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
Speaking of the Garden of Eden scene, Harry is supposed to be naked. Will this be a nude scene for Dan? I wonder how they'll shoot it, waist up or give him underpants or something?
Well he was already naked in that play so... I'm sure they'll just shoot it waist-up to keep it within the PG-13 rating.

daniel radcliffe shares my birthday and he loves bloc party...i think i should marry him

I seriously doubt Emma Watson would really cop out for the last two. That would be terrible if she did. She's absolutely perfect as Hermione.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:00 AM   #144
Blue Crack Supplier

So, Voldemort tells Snape he's got to kill him, and I'm thinking, "Yes! All those people predicting him to be good got it wrong!" I was legitimately pleased that it wasn't that predictable. But, no, then Rowling has to make him spit out silver. If Voldemort had just used the fuckin' easy way, he doesn't seep silver, and he's not the good guy. Damn it Rowling. I wanted to be correct about him. That dream was shattered today.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:08 AM   #145
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah, but isn't he more interesting as the good guy? He's still a bastard, just a bastard capable of loving. If he's purely a bad guy, then he's a one-dimensional character.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 AM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

Also, what do you all think of Harry performing some Unforgivable Curses? I suppose he had no other choice, but it does seem a bit odd that he was able to perform them so well and seemed to not think twice about it, isn't it?
Personally, I found it far more intriguing that McGonagall uses the Imperius... Being the Gryffindor teacher and all. Suppose the author put that in to highlight their desperate situation.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #147
Refugee

Ha ha, I see someone else reads Mugglenet . Wait until Emma turns 18!

Just a bit of casting info, FYI--Naomi Watts has been cast as Narcissa Malfoy. A great choice, IMO. Two others have been cast--Joseph Feinnes (think Elizabeth and Shakespeare in Love) and Stuart Townshend. No word yet on who they are playing.

I am SO HAPPY for Staurt! He was the guy who was cast as Aragorn and actually spent a month on the LOTR set, but he and Peter Jackson had a fight over what the character of Aragorn was going to be. Staurt wanted Aragorn to bemore of the lovesick, romantic type--younger and less world weary. Jackson wanted Aragorn to be like the man described in the Appendices--"grim to look upon" and rarely smiling. Jackson fired him. Sean Astin wrote in his book that as much as he loved Viggo, he had seen Stuart working and said he had a lovely heartbreaking romanticism about him, and said he was fantastic, specifically his eyes, and that he really could not make up his mind who would have been better, him or Viggo. While I loved Viggo's performance, I felt sorry for Staurt. Now, he won't only be "the man who was Aragron." WHo will he play though?

Back tonight. I hope. I'm trying to get to reading past Chapter 2!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

the figure on the ground though...don't know how that fits in. Dumbledore tells Harry he can't help it - does it simply represent evil? is he trying to say you can never cure evil and that it will always exist? or does it simply represent the Horcrux? I kinda feel with this chapter there are two levels to everything. Kinda like in Dante's Inferno how pretty much every passage has multiple meanings (political, spiritual, etc)
I assumed the figure on the ground was Voldemort--the baby or whatever that was lying there during the whole Harry/Dumbledore exchange. I think they both ended up in the "train station" and then came back. Remember both were "knocked out" after Voldemort hit Harry with the killing curse and then they both came back at approximately the same time. Voldemort couldn't "die" yet, because Nigani (sp? I'm too lazy to go to the other room and look up the spelling in the book) was still alive. Harry couldn't die because Voldemort was still alive. . .and also, I think something beyond that. I'll have to reread and give it some more thought.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ending. I expected a much darker conclusion, though to be honest, I'd suspected from the beginning that Harry would be the one to die--I never saw the Christ-like coming back from the dead thing coming though. In fact I was so braced for Harry's death that I kind of got used to it (much as Harry did once he realized, it was what he had to do). I actually feel like I would have been more devestated if Hermione or Ron had bit it.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
So, Voldemort tells Snape he's got to kill him, and I'm thinking, "Yes! All those people predicting him to be good got it wrong!" I was legitimately pleased that it wasn't that predictable. But, no, then Rowling has to make him spit out silver. If Voldemort had just used the fuckin' easy way, he doesn't seep silver, and he's not the good guy. Damn it Rowling. I wanted to be correct about him. That dream was shattered today.
I actually thought that was pretty cool, that Dumbledore was right all along. And Snape was still hardly a shining "good guy." He did it because of obsessive devotion to Lily.

Sorry, phillyfan but I'd rather Dumbledore be right than you!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #150
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

He did it because of obsessive devotion to Lily.

Exactly! Snape even tells Dumbledore it's NOT for Harry, it's for Lily. LOL

As to the whole King's Cross chapter. I'm haven't waded through the past 10 pages, but for me, I was kind of struck by the similarity to the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Dave Bowman in that bright white room where everything he needs keeps appearing . . . and then he is reborn as the Star Child.

Sound familiar?