Harry Potter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. They're pretty good, quite entertaining. But I have read less-known children's fantasies that I thought were better, which received one-millionth of the attention. Meredith Ann Pierce's Firebringer trilogy, Pat O'Shea's The Hounds of the Morrigan, even the quite well-known Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper...Harry Potter is pretty good stuff, but too much hype.

I haven't decided if I'm going to see the movie or not.

------------------
So wind blow through to my heart
So wind blow through my soul

Yes, love them. They get better as JK Rowling learns to write.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"She's hyperventilating." --my podiatrist (about me) 10-24-01

I think the Potter books are incredible. And they get better as the series goes on. I've seen a lot of children learn to love reading because of these books, and that is a real treat. I have to say- I've also turned a number of Potter-cynics into big fans.

My ex keeps pestering me to read them... but I'm only four and a half books into the Wheel of Time, when that's done, I'll read the first Potter book.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
(she is a school librarian).

Ahhh...sigh (once again). My dream job. So why am I getting another credential that's NOT a library credential?

Oh yeah...back to the subject...

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"She's hyperventilating." --my podiatrist (about me) 10-24-01

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
My ex keeps pestering me to read them... but I'm only four and a half books into the Wheel of Time, when that's done, I'll read the first Potter book.

So, you'll get to Harry Potter sometime around 2027?
biggrin.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

What did you find, Dad?
Me? Illumination.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
So, you'll get to Harry Potter sometime around 2027?
biggrin.gif

Actually, I gobbled down The Dragon Reborn and Shadow Rising in about 3 weeks combined... but school work is coming in faster, so I'm behind where I should be on Fires of Heaven.

You like Jordan, Bubba? I know you like Tolkien.

Actually, my first roommate and my girlfriend have both read a LOT of Jordan, and he seems okay, but...

From what my sweetheart tells me, he needlessly interweaves the stories, forcing you to read the entire series to keep up when he could just as easily devote a book to just one tale. There's a sense with the Middle Earth and the Star Wars galaxy that you don't have to know everything to enjoy individual works. So I think Jordan's move is an unnecessarily restrictive attempt to create an "all-or-nothing" franchise.

Also, I think there's a HUGE difference between LOTR (and the Star Wars Saga) and the Wheel of Time (and Star Wars New Jedi Order book series):

LOTR tells one complete epic in six books (Books I and II in Fellowship, etc.) and SW tells one complete epic in six episodes. There's a real sense that Jordan could extend his story as long as he damn well pleases.

One large story of definite length (like LOTR)? Fine.

An indefinite series of several nearly self-contained stories (like most comic books)? Also fine.

One large story of apparently indefinite length? Not for my tastes, thanks.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

What did you find, Dad?
Me? Illumination.

Yep, at first i didn't want to read them, but one day i was bored and decided to buy the first one... now i've read the four books and can't wait for the next one, and i think that the movie looks pretty good. Maybe JK Rowling isn't the best writter out there but i love the Harry Potter series.

------------------
The more you take the less you feel
The less you know the more you believe
The more you have the more it takes today

Back
Top Bottom