Happy Waitsday. Join in the celebration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iron Chef MoFo

The Fly
I know there's a few fans of Tom Waits here, so... It seems strange, after such long spans between Waits albums to now have not one, but two new releases a scant three years after Mule Variations. Not only that, but he's going on Letterman, again, on Wednesday (8 May). Tom doing a bit of a press junket seems a good sign of at least a few live performances.

The premise(s): Alice, from a collaborative musical exploring Lewis Carrol's obsession with the inspiration for Alice. The second disc is Blood Money, music taken from an adaptation of a Woyzek play.

I'm about half way through Aice at the moment (he just does't really work as "afternoon music"), and I'm quite surprised. Both works were originally done around the Bone Machine/Black Rider time, but Alice is pretty mellow. Very dark so far, but with a sort of old-world-folk-musicy-waltzy vibe (sort of like November), though the track Kommienezuspadt[/b] is anything but - heavily distorted German cabaret on speed.
smile.gif
That's the Waits I'd been expecting. All in all, it seems a fairly good album for non-fans. There's a lot of "lighter" tunes, very melodic, quite gentle, good lyrics, but all with the darkish air of most of his latter stuff, plus a few out-there tracks to ease listeners in to the less accessable songs in his catalog.

Apparently Blood Money is a fair bit darker, though I've yet to listen to it.

So did anyone else pick these up today? Thoughts, comments, opinions?

But what of this new Alice? Has the premise changed completetly or just the songs? I am so intrigued. I have a friend who is in the possetion of a link to a site where you can download the new albums. I will go scury off to try and find it now...

------------------
It's like lotto - you gotta be in it to win it.

Keepin it krunk...

Back
Top Bottom