Happy Memorial Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Memorial Day!

smillie_flag.gif

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Can someone enlighten the stupid British girl over here as to what exactly Memorial Day commemorates? Thank-you. :)

*Fizz

Not a stupid question. It is a day to remember the service of the veterans of U.S. armed forces.

We tend to think liberty is free because we were born with it. Many men and women sacrificed their lives for the sake of our liberty.

It is a day to remember the service of the veterans of U.S. armed forces.

Maybe another stupid question, but what is then the difference between Memorial day and Veteran's day?

DrTeeth said:

Maybe another stupid question, but what is then the difference between Memorial day and Veteran's day?

veteran's day is to remember those who fought.
memorial day is to remember those who died fighting.

bonosgirl84 said:

salute the flag, drink beer and light fireworks.
god bless the u.s.a. :heart:

is not this independece day,

july 4

today is a time to remember fallen service men and women.

lately it has become - kick off to summer,
bar be ques with friends and family

It is NOT stupid to ask the origin or meaning of a holiday if you are not from the country that is observing the holiday. There are people who were born here that don't know the meaning of certain holidays so don't feel bad for asking!

Here is the Encarta online definition of Memorial Day in the US

Memorial Day, legal holiday, observed annually on the last Monday in May in most of the United States, in honor of the nation's armed services personnel killed in wartime. The holiday, originally called Decoration Day, is traditionally marked by parades, memorial speeches and ceremonies, and the decoration of graves with flowers and flags, hence the original name. Memorial Day was first observed on May 30, 1868, on the order of General John Alexander Logan for the purpose of decorating the graves of the American Civil War dead. It was observed on May 30 until 1971, when most states changed to a newly established federal schedule of holiday observance.

i don't know that i have ever "celebrated" memorial day. for me and for some members of my family, memorial day is a somewhat solemn and quiet day to be spent primarily on thinking of those that have been lost. seeing the general public spending the day on barbeques and shopping trips sort of gets to me.
although, since i have grown up, my family and i have found a happy compromise. I/we have divided memorial day into two separate occasions: the day memorial day actually falls on is the day we reserve for quiet meditation. and the day when memorial day is observed by most of the nation, we use for less serious purposes. however, we still try to attend some sort of remembrance ceremony. :up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom