Happy Friday 13th! Ever wonder why Friday 13th is considered to be unlucky?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
Here's what I found...

There are many different theories about the origin of 13 being considered an unlucky number. Tracing the superstitions back, the earliest theories claim that in ancient religion, Valhalla, the home of the Gods, had twelve guests at a feast and a thirteenth, the God of Deceit, turned up uninvited. Others believe that the 13 started with witches' covens having 12 members, making 13 when the devil appeared at satanic ceremonies, although this may have been an attempt by the church to discredit witches as, prior to Christianity, 13 was considered a sacred number, representing the 13 moons of the year.

For Christians, 13 was the number at the Last Supper when Judas betrayed Jesus. It is also claimed that Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden of Eden on a Friday, Noah's flood started on a Friday and Christ was crucified on a Friday so it is likely these days and numbers combined were given the sigil of bad luck.

ABEL said:
For Christians, 13 was the number at the Last Supper when Judas betrayed Jesus. It is also claimed that Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden of Eden on a Friday, Noah's flood started on a Friday and Christ was crucified on a Friday so it is likely these days and numbers combined were given the sigil of bad luck.

Ack! Meaningless and theologically bankrupt. :mad:

Friday the 13th has served only two purposes:

1. Gives the superstitious something to talk about a couple times a year.

2. Provided the title to a wonderful series of quality movies.

Nothing happened to me on the 13:th, but my misfortune suddenly popped up yesterday instead. Yesterday was a crappy day. I will remember Sunday the 15:th as my unlucky day.
I was out partying the night to sunday and drank to much... on the way to a bar a slipped on a pile of snow and hurt my foot really bad... Drunk as a I was, I kept walking even if it hurt pretty bad, but I guess the alcohol took away the pain to an extend. anyways, I wake up on sunday 2 pm and felt a BAD hangover just about to set in... as I rushed to the toilet I immediately felt a horrible pain in my foot. It was very swollen and red and blue..
I spent half the day sitting on the bathroom floor being prepared to throw up. in the evening I had to go to the hospital to have my foot exrayed (spelling??) :|
I'm glad it's monday finally :huh:

Back
Top Bottom