Happy deepavali

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V Nura

Refugee
That's right...I'm gonna light up fireworks like it's 1999

(nothing to do with the prince song, that was the last year fireworks were legal)

0.11.14ci.gif

indeed

0.11.11ci.gif

Ahh deep your cultural knowledge has saved this thread replyless death

......allright come...lets get the party going!

*sets out drinks cake and other such items

Last edited:
Deepavali is a festival where people from all age groups participate. They give expression to their happiness by lighting earthen 'diyas' (lamps), decorating the houses, bursting firecrackers and inviting near and dear ones to their households for partaking in a sumptuous feast. The lighting of lamps is a way of paying obeisance to god for attainment of health, wealth, knowledge, peace, valor and fame.

It is one time in the whole year that children volunteer to leave their beds long before the day begins. In fact, the traditional oil bath at 3 a.m, is the only chore that stands between them and the pre-dawn adventures. They emerge, scrubbed clean to get into their festive attire, and light up little oil lamps, candles and scented sticks(agarbathis), the wherewithal for setting alight crackers and sparklers.

Who shall set off the first chain of crackers that go boom, bang and vroom? and who is the owner of the 10-minute 'banger' that steals the thunder from your little chain of needle-sized crackers? Does the boy next door have more crackers than me?

Competition is stiff, and even the little girl in silk frocks and their finery are watching out for the best sparklers and flowerpots, the rockets and Vishnuchakras, which light-up the night sky like a thousand stars. Grown-ups are the soul of generosity. Festive bonhomie abounds.

history of

0.11.19ci.gif

Happy Divali indeed.

I've been invited to the Saturday fireworks. I'm hoping to go. I'm not remotely Indian and I look it but I've been assured that won't matter and I can attend the fetivities as well.

Shag On A Rock said:
Happy Divali indeed.

I've been invited to the Saturday fireworks. I'm hoping to go. I'm not remotely Indian and I look it but I've been assured that won't matter and I can attend the fetivities as well.

it's an open festival...anyone can get in on it.....yoru more than welcome

so where is everyone else?

Back
Top Bottom