Happy Birthday My username was too long so Sicy changed it !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I googled pountine and apparently there is actually a "founder" of this crap. Here he is in all his glory:

160_poutine_founder_20040212.jpg

He is listed as the "Pountine Founder".

'Mr. Poutine' remembered for inventing an icon

CTV.ca News Staff

The legendary Quebec creator of the calorie-packed, fast food favourite poutine, Fernand Lachance, died on Saturday at the age of 86.

Lachance may have died of pulmonary disease, but that can't spoil his fans' taste for the artery-clogging legacy he left to Quebec cuisine.

Residents at the Warwick, Quebec nursing home where the restaurateur spent his final days paid him tribute this week -- with their own to their on fries, cheese curds, and gravy in his honour.

"He was a legend. People all over the world came to see the inventor of poutine," said resident Jeanine Vaudreuil.

Lachance's contribution can be traced back to the restaurant Lutin Qui Rit back in September 1957. That was where Lachance met a trucker with a special request.

"I wanted fries, but I saw cheese curds on the counter. I asked Fernand to mix them together," Eddy Lanaisse told CTV News, recalling his encounter with Lachance almost 50 years ago.

Lachance warned that the take-away order of french fries and cheese likely be too difficult to eat. It was dubbed a "poutine," taking the slang for mess.

But the mess was tasty, and the dish was a hit.

In the 47 years since then, the concoction has grown from a Quebec peculiarity into an important part of Canada's unique cultural identity.

So much so, that when troops from Val Cartier, Quebec arrived in Kabul, Afghanistan, poutine was added to the menu to make them feel more at home.

Typically made with fries, cheese curds and a healthy ladle of thick gravy, the native Quebecois declicacy can now be found everywhere from greasy spoon diners to fast food chains including KFC, Burger King, and A&W.

There are variations like "Italian poutine" served with meat sauce and cheese curds, and "Chinese poutine" which is topped with both meat and barbecue sauces.

The original version contained no gravy and cost 35 cents. Lachance hiked the price to 60 cents when he realized in 1964 that adding the sauce melted the cheese and could be served on plates.

While numerous cooks in Quebec have claimed to be the inventor of poutine, Lachance has always maintained that others copied him.

Now, the town he called home is looking for a way to commemorate the world-famous culinary invention.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1076633168163_72042368/?hub=CTVNewsAt11

i hope you all have signed my petition :grumpy:

this will be the first online petition to work!!!!!111

i'll tell you what, mk

if you come to las vegas that weekend

i'll sell my ga's and hang out with the cool kids instead :drool:

bonosgirl84 said:
i'll tell you what, mk

:drool:

When in November is this gathering? I will be celebrating a November birthday as well. :hmm:

bonosgirl84 said:
i'll tell you what, mk

No, no, no....do not sell the GA. We can hang out with you until its time to go in and then we can go get drunk and you can meet up with us afterwards.

:drool:

omc mk and JA please come hang out

ga is for losers anyway :shh:

i have other tickets for that night and the other night too

:ticketwhore:

plus, ga doesn't sound so fun when all of las vegas is right there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom