Happy 40th Birthday Arch! APPRECIATE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2SavesTheWorld

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Arch

St. Louis' Gateway Arch turns 40

St. Louis' famed Gateway Arch was completed in 1965.

ST. LOUIS, Missouri (AP) -- When architect Eero Saarinen was creating the design of this city's famed Gateway Arch, he constructed his first model out of pipe cleaners.

A long way from its humble beginnings, the shimmering steel Arch celebrated its 40th anniversary Friday.

The original builders autographed posters of the monument as they answered questions from visitors, and an exhibit on Saarinen opened in the museum beneath the Arch. Book signings were held for an anniversary publication, "The Gateway Arch, An Architectural Dream."

"Well, 40 years," said a silver-haired Susan Saarinen of Golden, Colorado, daughter of the late architect, who last saw the Arch at age 20. "Not very much time compared with the pyramids, but the last time I was here I had blonde hair and computer-aided design didn't exist."

The idea for a memorial in St. Louis began in 1933 with lawyer Luther Ely Smith, who was looking for a way to beautify the city's run-down riverfront, the first glimpse many visitors got of St. Louis.

Although work was done to secure and clear 90 acres, the idea for a memorial was not revitalized until two years after World War II.

Saarinen created a design that would mark President Thomas Jefferson's role in the nation's westward expansion (Jefferson signed the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, which doubled the size of the United States) and honor the 19th century migration of hundreds of thousands of people to the West at a time when St. Louis was the last major city before the frontier.

Saarinen recounted in a 1948 newspaper article how he came up with the Arch's design by thinking about how earlier memorials to "our three greatest men" -- Jefferson, George Washington and Abraham Lincoln -- each had a distinct geometric shape.

He began to envision a dome with a design more open than the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, perhaps one that touched the ground at three points.

"We tried it in a very crude way; the only things we could find to make it with were some pipe cleaners. But three legs did not seem to fit in the plan, so we tried it with two legs, like a big arch."

The design competition that Saarinen's team entered in 1947-48 had 172 submissions, including one from his father, the well-known architect Eliel Saarinen. Eero was just 38 and his father's reputation far surpassed his own at the time.

When a Saarinen advanced in the competition, Eliel received a telegram congratulating him and the family broke out a bottle of champagne.

"Two hours later the family received a phone call from an embarrassed competition official," Eero's daughter, Susan Saarinen, Susan Saarinen said in the new book. It was young Eero, and not his father, who had a chance to win. "Eliel, a very proud father, broke out a second bottle of champagne" to toast his son.

Eero Saarinen died in 1961, before the Arch's construction from 1963 to 1965. The new exhibit runs through July 16.

St.%20Louis%20Arch.jpg

As Bono likes to say, "Thanks for lending us your Arch".

:happy:

Now appreciate our giant arch.

:madwife:

:drool:

there are actually a lot of people in the United States who don't know what the Arch is. idiots :mad:

:rockon:

"There's an elevator that goes all the way to the top!"

"Can we take it, Dad?"

"No, Rusty."

005.jpg

010.jpg

021.jpg

FUN FACTS!!!

-The Arch is the tallest national monument in the United States at 630 feet and 4th most-visited tourist attraction in the world.

-When the last section was put into place on October 28, 1965, people were watching "I Dream of Jeannie" and listening to Tom Jones wail that all-important question "What's New Pussycat?" Television sets had rabbit ears and cars had fins.

-The Arch is a catenary curve, the shape a free-hanging chain takes when held at both ends, and the most structurally-sound of arches. The span of the Arch legs at ground level is 630 feet, the same as its height.

-Each year, over 1 million visitors take the tram rides to the top. The trams have been in operation for over 30 years, traveling a total of 250,000 miles and carrying over 25 million passengers.

-The Arch weighs 17,246 tons. Nine hundred tons of stainless steel was used to build the Arch, more than any other project in history.

-The Arch was built at a cost of $13 million. The transportation system was built at a cost of $2,500,000.

-In order to ensure that the constructed legs would meet, the margin of error for failure was 1/64th of an inch. All survey work was done at night to eliminate distortion caused by the sun's rays. Pre-dating the computer age, relatively crude instruments were used for these measurements.

-Construction began February 12, 1963 and the last piece was put into place on October 28, 1965.

-The Arch sways a maximum of 18" (9" each way) in a 150 mph wind. The usual sway is 1/2".

-It was predicted that 13 lives would be lost during Arch construction. There were no fatalities.

zootlesque, are you referring to me?

i meant nothing by my post. mk would know that. i have edited, however, because i will not do this in mk's thread.

bonosgirl84 said:

i meant nothing by my post. mk would know that. i have edited, however, because i will not do this in mk's thread.

No, I didn't refer to you at all. :huh:

I was referring to Chizip's first post and I didn't mean it as a jab at him, just expressing my opinion that's all.

i'm sorry, but people from the united states should know what the arch is. like it says in my fun facts, it is the tallest national monument in the United States and 4th most-visited tourist attraction in the world. it's like not knowing what the golden gate bridge or the statue of liberty is :shrug:

archprintaplargeb.jpg

archscrub3.jpg

ok then, sorry zoot.

:happy:

i do think the arch is beautiful. the design is gorgeous. plus, i think it's cool that nevada and the arch share the same birthday.

what river is that running in front of it?

OH!

we have a river that does that! if you look across the colorado, it's arizona!

i crossed the mighty mississippi by train last summer.

:heart: mk :heart:

did you know a guy flew a plane through the arch, another guy jumped off the top with a parachute, and another guy tried climbing it with suction cups on his hands and feet??

they all got in trouble

Chizip said:

-The Arch is the tallest national monument in the United States at 630 feet and 4th most-visited tourist attraction in the world.

What are the top 3?

That's just craziness that it's the 4th most visited.

I was in the arch once. My overwhelming fear of heights didn't let me enjoy it though.

It is lovely to look at. :heart:

moby had this to say about the arch in his website journal

We're in St Louis with a night off, and luckily we're staying right by the gateway arch which is one of my favourite structures in the whole world. I might go and take a little stroll to see it bathed in moonlight in all of its splendor. The gateway arch was designed by Eero Saarinen, who was one of the most remarkable architects of the 20th century. It's almost worth a trip to St Louis just to see this amazing sculpture/structure/building...what a phenomenal thing...

The first time that I saw it I actually got a little bit teary-eyed 'cos it's so beautiful, and it looks like it shouldn't exist. Or it looks as if it fell from space millions of years ago and the United States was built around it. Too bad that's not true.

and moby is always right

Happy Birthday Arch:kiss:

When I was younger I thought every city had their own Arch - I still think a skyline looks a little strange without one

I might need to go down and stand at the base - look up - and get dizzy today to wish Arch Happy Birthday

bonosgirl84 said:

what river is that running in front of it?

What did Chizip say about idiots? :sexywink: :hug:

I just thought that was common "I am an American" knowledge that the Mighty Mississippi and the Arch/St. Louis went hand in hand.

:reject:

Disclaimer for interferencers who have not read the FAQs: bg84 KNOWS I am joking using the term idiot within a few inches of her her username.

Happy birthday to one of the most beautiful monuments in the world. I love the Arch but you couldn't pay me to go up to the top. I'm to much of a chicken shit for that. If that thing started to sway while I was up there I think I would freak. Props to the folks that can handle it, i'm just not one of them i'm afraid.:reject:

Back
Top Bottom