Happy 25th Birthday, Compact Disc!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome.

I'm far too ashamed to say what my first cd was (even though it was a gift), and I still don't want to say what the first CD I purposfully bought was either. :uhoh:

My first cd's were The Cure - Faith and Jethro Tull - Benefit

I'm curious about cd durability. I've noticed on a couple old cd's skips that I don't think were there when I first got them. About 20 years old. Is it possible environmental causes could be responsible for disc deterioration? I know there were concerns about this when cd's first came out. :hmm: Anyone else notice this?

My old lp's are still fine. :huh:

I got my first CD player back in Christmas '87 or '88 - can't be positive which year it was. My mother had bought Paul McCartney's All The Best CD with it.

The first CD I bought, which was right after, was Squeeze's Singles 45's And Under.

Yeah, I have a huge collection of audio tapes and I miss the large vinyl covers with the gorgeous art work, bought all my U2 albums and singles in vinyl up until I bought my first cd which was Pop and I only bought that coz I couldn't get the vinyl version! :wink:

phanan said:
I got my first CD player back in Christmas '87 or '88 - can't be positive which year it was. My mother had bought Paul McCartney's All The Best CD with it.

The first CD I bought, which was right after, was Squeeze's Singles 45's And Under.

Just went to Squeeze the other night, they played every song from that cd! :drool:

My first CDs were the Austin Powers 2 soundtrack and Smash Mouth's Astro Lounge.

Say what you want about Smash Mouth, but that album is kick-ass.

hardyharhar said:

I'm curious about cd durability. I've noticed on a couple old cd's skips that I don't think were there when I first got them. About 20 years old. Is it possible environmental causes could be responsible for disc deterioration? I know there were concerns about this when cd's first came out. :hmm: Anyone else notice this?

My old lp's are still fine. :huh:

Well every format has deterioration. Vinyl scratches and warps, tape stretches, and CDs scratch...

My first CD was Rattle and Hum...

LemonMacPhisto said:
My first CDs were the Austin Powers 2 soundtrack and Smash Mouth's Astro Lounge.

Say what you want about Smash Mouth, but that album is kick-ass.

I like it too :hi5: The one before that album was a bit punkier, but still interesting

Vinyl rules

It sounds better, and it's more conducive to good listening habits, the inconvenience of just skipping someting that doesn't grab you in the first few seconds made one listen to all songs all the way through all the time, thereby giving them more of a 'chance'

Also, bands seem compelled to try and fill a lot more of a CD, when i look back on what my favorite albums are over the years, very few are over 45 minutes. Less filler typically made it onto vinyl.

Now, every rule does have an exception, and Im thankful that I have Rattle and Hum on CD instead of vinyl. If there was ever an album which gained in stature by being able to hit the skip button it's that one.

toscano said:
Vinyl rules

It sounds better, and it's more conducive to good listening habits, the inconvenience of just skipping someting that doesn't grab you in the first few seconds made one listen to all songs all the way through all the time, thereby giving them more of a 'chance'

Also, bands seem compelled to try and fill a lot more of a CD, when i look back on what my favorite albums are over the years, very few are over 45 minutes. Less filler typically made it onto vinyl.

Now, every rule does have an exception, and Im thankful that I have Rattle and Hum on CD instead of vinyl. If there was ever an album which gained in stature by being able to hit the skip button it's that one.

Even though Rattle and Hum is my first and one of my favourite U2 albums (that I bought on vinyl) and I but I'm going to have to agree with you on that one! :reject: I was so happy when I finally was able to get the cd and program play list the just way I wanted!! :wink:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
dual :drool: ;) cassette player

OMG! :drool: I used to be so crazy about dual cassette players cos I could make copies of friends' cassettes! I remember if I went somewhere like to somebody's place and saw a single cassette player, I would be a bit disappointed. :lol:

I'm too ashamed to admit what my first CD was. Mind you, I grew up during the teeny-bopper pop craze so that should give a clue. :wink:

I bought 3 or 4 CDs when I got my first CD player. I can't quite remember which ones they were, but I'm pretty sure Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby were among them (I was replacing cassette tapes I had worn out).

And to think, I still have a huge collection of vinyl and cassettes. :hmm:

Although, Compact discs are definitely the 'better quality' to listen to ... now there's no need to press that 'play button'
or 'spin that turntable' anymore. :up:

That is, unless that music isn't on a CD to begin with. :wink:

Happy birthday CD! :love:

I was too young to develop attachment to vinyl, although the larger sleeve artwork is undeniably cool. So CD is easily my favourite format. My first one I think was Roxette's Greatest Hits, purchased at a second-hand store.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Rage Against The Machine (UNNNG CMON!)

:love:

well the first CD I picked out to buy for myself was the Discotheque single. This was after listening to my mom's Pop CD to death...she eventually just gave it to me :wink:

CDs are cool. I've become an iTunes whore though.

Thats funny so many of you have put Rattle & Hum as your first CD.

That was my first CD as well.

Followed by Sting Best Of,
Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience
and REM Eponymous.

I probably had over 500 CD's by the time internet downloading came along.

Back
Top Bottom